TKX

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is anyone have the TKX installed and driving? How do you like it? Does it shift as advertised? Can you power shift it and beat on it? Two reasons that I may want one, don't like repairing my small bearing retainer 833 when something happens. Two, overdrive. Have read DC's thread on his install, and others. I would still do something with the cross member, even though I have a GERST front suspension.
What kind of RPM change 4-5th?

Have not installed mine yet but simple math will give you RPM change. 4th gear is 1:1 and OD depends on which TKX you buy.

I think mine is .68 OD so if you run 3000 rpm at 70, then .68 X 3000 = 2040

Decided not to do this at this time. It's a Lotta work and money.
Thank you for getting back to me!

I know you decided not to install a TKX but I thought I would add my experience with one. I had a shop convert my three speed auto to the TKX and I could not be happier. The transmission is one of the best I've ever driven. It shifts like the old toploader I had years ago in my Cobra replica but with the overdrive of 5th gear, I can cruise at 70 mph at 1900 rpm with 3:23 gears.

There's a thread right now where one of the guys is showcasing what he did.

Yes, I am watching. Seems to be more than one way to do it. I am wondering if the shifter being in the middle is awkward, even the offset one isn't in the same place as stock.

Yes, I am watching. Seems to be more than one way to do it. I am wondering if the shifter being in the middle is awkward, even the offset one isn't in the same place as stock.

I'm still mocking mine up but I can attest that the shifter being in the middle wasn't awkward at all when I was test fitting everything. I wound up having to move mine an inch and a half over to the driver side to get it to fit the console but I preferred having it straight out the middle of the hump.

I'm wondering about the same thing. Especially since I plan on using a T5. I cannot find an offset bracket. I may just make one.

Have not installed mine yet but simple math will give you RPM change. 4th gear is 1:1 and OD depends on which TKX you buy.

I think mine is .68 OD so if you run 3000 rpm at 70, then .68 X 3000 = 2040
The TKX has the same ratios available as the TKO did.
Mine is a TKO 600 with a .64 overdrive.....that equates to a 36% rpm drop from 4th gear.

The TKX has the same ratios available as the TKO did.
Mine is a TKO 600 with a .64 overdrive.....that equates to a 36% rpm drop from 4th gear.
That's a nice RPM decrease.

2800 rpms at 60.
3000 rpms at 65.
3200 rpms at 70.

The above was the rpms with the automatic in drive, 3rd gear at speed.

This is after the TKO swap. The rpms are approximate but pretty close.
1650 rpms @60.
1800 rpms @65.
1975-2000 rpms @ 70.
Yeah....what a HUGE change!

Is anyone have the TKX installed and driving? How do you like it? Does it shift as advertised? Can you power shift it and beat on it? Two reasons that I may want one, don't like repairing my small bearing retainer 833 when something happens. Two, overdrive. Have read DC's thread on his install, and others. I would still do something with the cross member, even though I have a GERST front suspension.
What kind of RPM change 4-5th?
I have seen some TKX reviews on youtube where guys swapped into Fox Mustangs and show test driving and providing impressions of how it shifts. Not a Mopar but same trans and seems to be highly praised in terms of shift quality.

Probably not very helpful but here's a short video of my car with the TKX starting up and driving. At the end, I'm on the interstate cruising at 70mph @ 1900 rpm.

Did you notice he went through a few stop signs and never stopped once? In Australia that is 4 pionts and about a six hundred dollar fine and in holiday season it is double demerits so as you only get 12 pionts before a loss of license that would be close!

Sweet! You got me wishing I'd got the .68 OD instead of the .81.
.81? Dammit, that's almost not an over drive. What the heck is that good for? A doorstop, maybe.

.81? Dammit, that's almost not an over drive. What the heck is that good for? A doorstop, maybe.
Well, I didn't want a too big of a drop from direct to OD. With my 3.55 gear, standard 4 speed, 275R60 tires I run 70@3000. With the .81 I'm at 70@2400. With the .68 I'd be 70@2000. My engine has a nice rumble at 2400-2600 on the highway & I prefer to keep it.

I see you have decided not to do the swap right now but I want to add this, of all the modifications I've done to my car from the stroker motor to the repaint or the lightweight centerline wheels to the sticky-ish tires the 5speed OD is the most rewarding and useful money I've spent on this car even though I'm currently correcting the mistakes I made on the required transmission tunnel mods that were necessary when these swaps first started years 20 years ago. It me cost 4k plus shifter, light weight aluminum flywheel, and CF DF clutch back then. I don't know if the TKX would require modification to the upper torsion bar crossmember or not, if it doesn't that IMO makes things much better even if they offer an upper portion that bolts or welds in. I'm not trying to pressure you and I won't tell you it's easy, but it does make driving them much more enjoyable.

The TKX will probably be on my list for the end of this year. Been lazy up here this winter, so much to do and no energy! I have a list for both cars and 3 months of winter left.

Did you notice he went through a few stop signs and never stopped once? In Australia that is 4 pionts and about a six hundred dollar fine and in holiday season it is double demerits so as you only get 12 pionts before a loss of license that would be close!
I coasted through two stop signs, that are not on through streets. The video was shot on a large church parking lot and a connecting drive between a few auto dealers. The reason I coasted through was because I was driving while holding my phone to shoot the video (try downshifting with one hand on the phone and the other on the steering wheel) and there was no other traffic nearby.

-
Back