To all the dads out there making mopar sons & daughters

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I'm at work right now doing an all nighter and just got to thinking about how excited I am about my Dad coming out to visit. He rarely gets a chance to vacation out here in California. I think he's been here twice in the last ten years that I've lived here. We talk all the time and he's always interested in how the car restoration is going. I can't wait for him to see the work I've put into this epic project. If it was not for him I would have never been a Mopar nut.

Back when I was 14 my parents bought a little 66 Valiant 100 just like Memike's. It was a second car to get around in and to take fishing. A year or so later I bought it off my parents for $300 bucks. I loved that little three-on-the-tree /6 car. My dad always made me do all the work on it. He had plenty of auto repair manuals and forced me to read them and "figure it out" when I needed to fix something. If I ever got into something I could not fix he was always there to help out and point me in the right direction. I owned that car until about 3 years ago when I parted it out for the 66 convertible. I've ended up using many parts from my original 1st car on the convertible. So "Ruby" lives on. That's the name we gave her after my uncle and I painted her red when I finished high school. Many of my college friends back home still remember the old "Ruby" Valiant.

I always dreamed of doing to "Ruby" what I've done to the convertible 66. You know a kickass 340 small block, headers, sick paint job, nice interior, etc. Sadly, I did not have the same skills I now have because I "figured it out" So, fast forward 22 years and I'm almost there. A long time dream realized and my Dad will be helping me put on the final touches. We have some work cut out for us but it should be awesome fun. Lots of two person jobs. Install all the body panels, interior, windshield, bleed the brakes etc. It's a tall order in a week, but I'd be happy just having it drivable around the block.

So I just wanted to give a BIG shout out to all the Dads out there in Mopar land who have passed on the proverbial Mopar torch to their sons or daughters. It really does form a long last bond. Thanks Dad.

I'd love to keep this thread going by hearing some other FABO stories about how your Dad influenced your Mopar (or another car) addiction.

-Dave

My Dad was never a Mopar guy but he sure did instill in me the idea to do it myself. When I was 16 he gave me a starter for my moms mercury and told me to go put it in. I did okay till it came to hooking the wires back up. Not long after that I put a U joint in his mack log truck.
Glad to hear you get to spend some time with your Dad. I know I sure cherish the time I spend with mine.

My dad is 78 and never was really into cars,but he always asks what I,m doing with my cars.Hope your dads visit,brings back some fond memories of Ruby!Cherish the time spent together and hope you can get him out in the 66 ragtop Dave.You,ve done an amazing job on the car and it sounds like your dad gave you that first push to get it done.Enjoy his visit!

My Dad's the reason I'm into mopars...he bought his 67 Dart GT Convertible when he was 14 and restored it...some of my best memories as a kid are riding around in that dart...its the whole reason I got my 69. Now we both can work on our Darts and, when we finally have both of them running, we can go to drive ins in both of them...

Thanks Dad!

My Dad started the appreciation of mopars into me at a very young age. Actually it started with the 67 Dart I have now. He bought the car in 1978-79 and I remember going for test drives after he would do some work on it. I used to love going fast at the parking lot where they used to test the cars when they finished working on them. My dad always, and still does, talk about his friend's 69 Hemi Charger R/T he used to cruise in and his buddies that were always racing their 69 Dart 340 Swinger and 69 Dart with a 383. Dad always loved the fact that the 340 always beat the 383 easily. From the beginning he always talked about finding a 340 for the 67 Dart, well two years ago I found one and we installed it together. Yes Mopar is in my blood and shall be passed down to my son.

Dave- thats a great story...fyi...dad is getting older.... pace yourself so you don't wear him out.... He's gonna want to keep up with you...

Have a great time....

BTW dad (68) and I work on our cars and trucks all the time...he has little patience anymore...so it makes it difficult to work together sometimes....its funny...not to long ago...I was the one without patience....

ALOHA Mike

I'm the only guy in my family thats into cars,i got started at about 15 when my friend next door bought a '70 challenger thought is was the baddest car till the guy across the street bought a '70 340 4-speed duster that was a bad *** car from then on,i did my first cam swap at about the same time too,and have been a car nut ever since,my 11 and 7 yearold daugthers love the duster and other musclecar too,hopefully they race it someday..:-D:-D

I will cherish the time that he's out here visiting. I've helped him a lot over the years working on his 67 Chevelle. I bought a 68 Dart because the car reminds me so much of his Chevelle. We'll get to drive the Dart around for sure. Too bad he's not here longer we could have done the V8 swap for the 68.

Great stories. keep em coming

-
Back