To all those guys who have a Mopar rotting away.....

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I saw this on Moparts and had to share. A member on Moparts found this on a blog site a while back. It's pretty sad.

Back in high school I knew this kid named Jason. He was a pretty cool kid, a real gearhead just like me and my other friends. He was'nt part of "my circle" as he was a few years younger than us,(14 actually) but we knew him, and he hung around with us from time to time. He thought we were the coolest guys in school(we really were...LOL!!) cuz we all had cool old musclecars. All Jason wanted was a neat old car to work on with his dad (they were very close) and cruise around, picking up girls on the weekends, like we did. My buddy and I knew of an old Charger that was sitting behind a house out in the country. It was about a 71 or 72, black with black interior, automatic, rusty pitted, and peeling Cragars, rotted side-pipes, pop riveted on hood scoop, shackled to the sky, with a set of traction bars, and a faded Crane Cams license plate on the front. It was a real 70's looking hot rod. Sitting in the weeds next to a dilapidated wooden shed, behind an old ramshackle farmhouse. I first saw it when I was 7, and when I was a senior in high school it was still there. We took Jason out there one afternoon to check it out. I'll never forget his reaction when he saw it for the first time. "OH MY GOD!!!, Dude I HAVE to have that car!" he screamed as he jumped out of the car and went running over to it. "It's perfect!" he said. "This is the same kind of car my dad had when he was in high school. I can just imagine how awesome it would be to work on this with him." We knocked on the door, but no one was home.

A few days later Jason came up to us in the hall at school and told us that the Charger was in fact his dad's old car! We were a little surprised, cuz we knew Jason's dad, our dads knew him and we never heard stories of him owning a Charger back in school. Turns out, Jason's dad bought the car used in 71 with only a few hundred miles on it. It was a 71 R/T with a 383 and a 4 speed. He made a hot rod out of it, drove it for a few years, and after he met his wife (in the Charger by the way) other priorities became more important, and he sold to a young kid in 1975. The kid he sold it to was afraid of it, so he sold it to someone from out of town, and Jason's dad never saw it again. After school that day, my buddy and I took Jason and his dad out to see the car and his dad was just as pumped as Jason was when he saw it. "I'll be damned", he said "that's my car!". Aside from the missing 4 speed, it was just as it was when he sold it. The "Kelly Supercharger" tires were still on it! He said he bought those tires June 10th 1975. He remembered that because it was the same day he met his wife.

We knocked on the door and a big ugly fat chick, wreaking of beer and pot answered the door. "Is your husband home?", Jason asked her. "Ummm...... yeah" she said, as she picked something from her disgusting yellow teeth. Jason and his dad had looks on thier faces like little kids at christmas waiting for the man to come to the door. Just then a very scruffy looking guy, in stained boxers, and a "wife beater", smelling like he's never heard of deoderant, came to the door and said, "Yeah, what is it?" "Would you be interested in selling that Charger out back?" asked Jason's dad. "NO!!" The man replied very sharply. "I'm gonna fix that up one day", he said as he closed the door. My friend and I looked at each other and just rolled our eyes, thinking YEAH RIGHT! Jason's dad was pretty upset, but Jason was'nt deterred. "I'll get him to sell it", he said.

For two years Jason rode out to the old farmhouse on his motorcycle to look at the car, and to try to convince the owner to sell it. His dad would also go out to talk the guy into selling it, but the fat stinky dopehead would hear none of it. "I've got plans for that car" he would say. Throughout these two years I started to hear more about the owner. He got the car through a trade in 1980 (a drug trade probably) , drove it twice and parked it. He was a real waste of human skin. A drunk, and a drug addict; he would beat up on his wife and throw wild drug parties. I told Jason he'd better just forget about that car, before he ends up pissing the guy off. You don't wanna get into trouble with a deadbeat like that! Jason loved that car, and could not imagine owning anything else. After a while though he started to get frustrated and eventually gave up on the Charger. One night in the local bar I ran into the guy who owned it. I said to the guy "Dude, why don't you just sell that thing to the kid? It was his dad's car when he was in high school, and they are just lookin for a father son project, and what better project than his dad's old ride?" He said "why don't you mind your own business and shut the hell up!" Like I said, this guy was a real jerk. The best part of this guy ran down his mom's leg.

When Jason was a senoir in high school his dad was diagnosed with heart disease, and he became more distant, and did'nt really bother with people that much anymore. Jason's dad died 2 weeks after he graduated. My buddies and I attended the funeral, and while outside smoking a cigarette Jason told us that his dad said he regretted selling that Charger. Jason even mentioned the car in his eulogy. A picture of him and his wife sitting on the hood of it the day they met was placed inside the casket. My friend and I were deepely saddened, and extremely pissed at the same time. Here was a good kid who wanted nothing more than to work on a car with his dad. Not just any car, the car his dad met his mom in, with hopes of having the same kind of memories, and perhaps meeting his own wife in, just like his dad did 27 years ago. But instead a perfectly good car goes to waste on a piece of trash scumbag, who does'nt care about anything but his own selfish desires.

Jason went on to join the military and was shipped out to Iraq. He served two years, before he was killed when his Hummer ran over a landmine in 2004. Just before he was killed, he wrote me a letter saying he still thinks about that Charger and asked if the car was still there. I told him that it was, and probaly will be when he gets home. Unfortunately, he never got the letter, as he was killed just 2 days after I mailed it. What happened to the Charger? Well, the guy was shot by the police during a drug raid at the farmhouse, and his wife was sent up for 15 years on drug charges. The cops condemned the property with the Charger still sitting in the same place it was 10 years ago. I tried to buy it from the county, so I could restore it as a tribute to my old friend. But I could never get in touch with the right people. Last spring I went out to the property to see if I just take the damn thing, but the car was gone along with the house. The whole property had been leveled. Two months later, while at the junkyard looking for a part for my truck, I found that old Charger. It was buried in a stack of crushed cars getting ready to be loaded onto the flat bed bound for the shredder. It was still complete, right down to the old Crane Cams license plate. It just about brought tears to my eyes when I saw it. Remembering how excited Jason was when he first saw it, and how he talked about how cool it would be to work on it with his dad. I do seek a little comfort in thinking that he and his father are in heaven right now wrenching on the old Charger they so desperately wanted to have. So the next time a kid and his dad shows up at your door asking to sell that old car rotting away in the backyard, think about this story before you say "I'm gonna fix that up some day", knowing you most likely never will. If someone is willing to put forth the effort to get it back on the road again, is'nt that a whole lot better than letting go to waste just because you don't want someone else to have it? There's no shame in letting someone else build a lifetime's worth of memories with the same car you built your memories in.

Like barefoot through busted glass, so are the days of our lives.

Was a time when if a man didn't want to sell his land, someone with more money and /or power would just take the land. Maybe even kill the owner to get it.

Touching story......how truly sad to know that a couple guy's dream car could have been revived but wasnt.

But in reality there are 100s of those stories out there...cars that are sitting rotting, the current owner not wanting to let go.....

Maybe they have their own memories or reasons.....like they say, every story has two sides.....this guy , though depicted as a drug dealing, wife beating scumbag, may have had his own memories attached to that car...maybe he had one years ago, etc. Or maybe he just didn't want to sell it, plain and simple. You cant tell. But that's his perogative. Itwas his car at that point.

We all have reasons for what we do.

Just like the dad letting go of the car to begin with.

My guess would be that if the father/son had walked up to the guy with cash in hand they may have gotten further.....they may have had to pay more than it was "worth" but if the owner was truly that scummy, cash always talks. Of course if the guy was that shdy they could have also ended up shot....:angry7:

Jesus. I've known so many old scumbags that have cars like that. They are still rotting away. Every now and again I'll go out to these places and try and get them to sell the cars. They wont. "I'm gonna fix that up" I know where there are 2 '68 barracuda coupes 1 273 commando 4speed car and 1 /6 auto. These cars have been rotting away for about 20 years. I finally got him to make me a deal 2 years ago. If my son doesn't show any interest in a year. And they are still sitting here. Than I'll sell them to you. Well, I went back a few months ago. About 1 1/2 years later. No, my son and I are gonna fix them up. I just got one of those car canopy things from Costco. BULLSHIT!!!! Anyway, It's been 3 months and NOTHING!!!! I'm about sick of looking at them. My Dad and I wanted those to do one last father son project before we couldn't. Anyway, While we were waiting for the year to go by my Dad passed away. It makes me sick to see those cars still sitting there like that. So I went and saved the ' 65 barracuda I have now. And this is the first car Me and my dad got when I was 13. A '65 barracuda. So it brings back memories for me when I'm out there working on it. But my Dad and I also built 3 ' 68 barracuda's together. It makes me sick that commando 273/4speed car is sitting there still. And the other one next to it with all of the parts needed to fix the commando car. JUST MAKES ME SICK!!!!! Just reading that story made me have to vent.

That is a very tuching story. There is not enough old cars to go around. Getting to be less and less all the time.

Alot of these kinds of story's go around, and their sad and a true shame. I just have to say to all the sons and fathers out there that read it, don't not ask just because the people with it seem like assholes or fit the description of the guy in this story. When I was 7 me and my parents moved out of the city to what seemed like hick country to me at the time, and just down the road there was a house that could have exemplified that. Out side the house there was a car that I instantly admired. It wasn't any muscle car; it was a 1985 L body Shelby Charger. When I was 7 it looked like it was just parked there. I told my dad I wanted a car like that when I grew up and he told me he had owned a 1983 Shelby charger when he was younger. That only made me want it more. I asked for years if we could stop by and ask to buy it, but both of us figured that they guy wouldnt sell it (mainly based off stories like this we had heard) and my dad didnt really wanna get my hopes up. Finally when i was 16 and about to get my licesnce my dad stopped buy and asked the guy who owned it if he would sell it. he said he would and for $500 and would have probably sold it all those years ago for about the same. it was running when he parked it and in good shape he said, but the door had a jam so for close to a decade it sat with its driverside window down and hadn't been started. We bought it and I spent an entire summer fixing the floor pans and interior and trying to get the engine to run. the engine however, had locked up and never started again. Without it running we we forced to sell it in hopes of getting me a car I could drive since i didnt have too much money to sink into a project car when i didnt even hae one to go ot work in. If we would have asked at the beggining it might have been completely different. SO ASK and dont stop. I have my 71 duster now, but Im saving up and looking for a Shelby Charger to replace the one I could'nt keep.

That is a very tuching story. There is not enough old cars to go around. Getting to be less and less all the time.[/quote]

Well, it doesnt help that there are folks out there who can afford to buy up all the good sub-$10k cars and invest money into them and restore them and sell them for $50k.

Dont get me wrong...I am glad they are saving these cars. I hate to see nice classic cars rotting away.

But on the same token, they are also taking cars out of the low-end market and out of the hands of the little guy who just wants to have a father-son project.

This is not meant to offend those here who do it. Heck, it is probably better for the cars, as they will get the restoration they deserve. And its a free market...the dollar speaks. I wish I was in the position to do it.

Its just that the cars are effectively disappeearing not just when they rot away up on blocks outside someone's trailer, but also when the solid cars get snatched up by collectors, restored, flipped and then shuffled between collectors at high-bid auction houses. The average Joe cant really touch them at that point. That leaves cars that are dropping further and further in solidity. And the worse the yget the more money it takes to restore them.

Like I said...no grudges or bitterness here, but if you are talking about why an average guy cant find a car to work on with his son, there are other reasons besides "scumbags letting them rot away".

I found a 70 Satellite next to a line of shop a few years ago. It was in tough shape but still fixable. The owner REFUSED to even discuss selling it. Some conversation with his "neighbors" revealed that he will not fix it, sell it or even move it under cover. One of the shop owners next to him even begged to let him put a tarp over it for heaven's sake.

he seems determined to make sure it rots.

Some people....

Yup, when I was looking for my Demon I found a 71 not to far from my area. I went and talked to the guy. It was at best a $500 car. He would not sell it for less than $1500 and would rather see it go to the crusher than sell it for $500. And believe me when I say, there was not a whole lot left to crush.

Jack

Wow, what a story. I like to think that the Charger getting crushed was a good end ONLY because Jason and his Father are in Heaven together with the car. I hate when people have cars they don't want to sell and are just rotting. If I had cars just sitting like that and someone bugged me enough, I would sell it. Just seeing someone getting so excited about it, I would have to sell.

That is a very sad story. There are people that don't want to sell and will restore them though, or at least have genuine intentions to do so. Here's the other side of that. I have quite a number of cars, too many to keep all at my house. I had one at my Mom's place tucked up against the house, it's alittle TR3 that I've owned for 30 years, doesn't need restoration, just a new paint job. So some guys go to her door and ask if it's for sale, she says no but when she looks out they've got the door to it open and are checking it out, shortly after that she seems them in her backyard, probably looking for more cars. How do you justify that? She's an old lady, living alone and doesn't need the aggrevation, needless to say I brought the car home. Those guys were lucky, if either my son or I were there it would have become rather unpleasant for them. It was ok to ask, the rest was unacceptable.

Thats when you call the police and say you have people trespassing on your property. Asking about a car is one thing, going into someones yard uninvited and opening their cars' doors is illegal. An old woman, living alone, needs to protect herself.

There are several veriations to that story. Plus they never made a 383 71 charger R/T. I would say that this is just a story. Sad if it is true though.

I was inclined to say that it was made up too...just seems to "internetish"...more like a chain mail letter......maybe its real though.....does the original poster know the people in the post?

But I am sure that there are real stories out there like this one if its not.....life is full of "coulda woulda shouldas".

But it boils down to "its just stuff". As badly as I want to find the right car right now, its just a toy. I wont be heart broken because I cant get the one I want right now or maybe never.

And again, like I said above, people sitting on old cars arent the only ones to blame for dads/sons not being able to get a good solid car to work on.

My wife brought home some of those antique auto trader type weeklys yesterday and I couldnt believe how many full color, large ads there were looking for barracudas, challengers and such.....That aint a father/son looking for a car...its a flipper, buying the cars up and flipping them for a quick buck...or collectors who get the cars and dump a bucket of money into them and then put them up for auction at Mecum for $80k.

But hey, they can so they do.

Just like the people who can sit on these old cars and let them rot. Its their perogative.

Its not a fair world I guess....LOL :angry7:

My weedbeater neighbor has a '69 charger r/t that he keeps protected in the weeds. Was a real nice car 25 years ago. Still runs and he drives it around the yard a few times a year but it's in advanced stages of rot and is worth little more than the drivetrain and trim parts. He won't sell it because he's planning on restoring it. He says "Cars like this sell for 25k." :roll eyes:

I went to High School in the 1970's with a guy who was always the one doing the knocking on doors and trying to buy the sitting car thing.
Years later he bought a 68 amx and drove it for years until he got into a wreck and then let it rot beside his mom's garage for years. Basically becoming one of the people he hated for not selling their cars and just letting them rot outside.He finally sold it to a mutual friend after buying another 68 amx .And now the other one which was very nice is rotting away from neglect ,but at least its in a garage ,but parked behind his riding lawn mower and held securely in place by spider webbs.His is all the time telling me what I outta do to my cars ,which can all be driven just by turning the keys and are never neglected in any way.But he is still an old friend from H.S.

There's a '67 Barracuda fastback sitting under a pine tree at a house I pass all the time.

The woman won't even give me a price. I finally told her I was going to come out with a check and a tarp, she could either sell it or at least let me cover it up.

Its still sitting there with the tarp on it....

When I was a kid I remember the original owner of my Barracuda driving it around in my neighborhood with its rumbling exhaust. When he was outside I'd ride my bike up and he would tell me "its all high performance, steering, brakes, suspension" and stuff like that. I was really into cars at a young age and always thought it was a cool car. The original owner was divorced and drank heavily and the car had been wrecked and repaired poorly many times. The body was not in good shape but interior was mint and mechanically the car was near perfect. In 1979 I got a call from a friend who told me the guy stopped driving it due to high gas prices and might sell it. So I knocked on the door and said "I'll give you $1,000 for that car" and pulled 10 $100 bills out of my pocket and showed it to him. He said let me think about it for a week. I went back in a week and he said yes I'll sell it to you. He gave me the keys and we went for a ride. Back then it had 49,000 miles on it and he had the carb jetted, timing curved, and colder plugs but it was bone stock all original and man did that car get up and go. I was only 17 at the time. I drove it to high school and luckily never wrecked it. Last year the original owner, who was very old, committed suicide. I was really wanting to look him up and take him for a ride but never got around to it and now its too late.

I know I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent, but this story is a load of BS. While it pains me to see any old Mopar pushing up the daisies, I can't stand when people judge others because there's an unrestored car sitting under a tarp in the back yard. Think about it for a minute - how many people on this very board have projects sitting and waiting to be restored? I know I have a few. But, you know what - I have hopes and dreams of what i want to do with those cars, and dream of the day I can drive any of them down the street and make the ground shake. the problem is that I lack time and $ right now to get them all done - it's going to be a long process, but I'm committed to restoring every one some day.

Now - to clarify - if someone knocked on my door to ask if it was for sale, I would never be rude, and most likely would sit there and have a full blown discussion about what I want to do with my projects. I love talking to other Mopar fans, and would be flattered if someone saw something special in one of my unfinished projects.

The point is, this story is made up and totally predictable - I knew how it would end half way through - the point is to condem the people who have projects that may be sitting that others may deem as "rotting away." Meanwhile, the most-likely explanation is that the person just doesn't have the time, money or ability to restore it - YET.

Also not everyone knocking on your door is a good guy with good intentions, many just want to make a low ball offer and straight out flip it for a big profit. I too have a lot of projects that I swear I will restore if I live long enough, if not I guess my son will have to pick up the ball on that :-D

Breaks my heart seeing old Musclecars just wasting away! Friggin fix 'em or sell them to someone who will! Almost as painful as seeing that Dart with the 33" mudder tires!LOL

Unfortunately the people who could really benefit from reading this poignant story are not on this website or most any other auto oriented websites.

-
Back