to beat a GM 602 crate

-

shredxcam

Reaction score
If you were running a UMP b-mod and you wanted a mopar motor, what parts would you pick.
One cheap junkyard option and one build.
the competition motor typically being a GM 602 crate rated at 350 HP @ 5000 RPM, 390 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3800 RPM
Bore x Stroke: 4.00” x 3.48”
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
92 Octane recommended fuel
Cast Iron, 4-bolt main caps
Cam Lift: .435” Intake / .460” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 212 deg. Intake / 222 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112.5 Degree
.194” Intake/ 1.50” Exhaust valves
Stamped Steel, 1.5:1 Ratio rocker ar for $3300 ish

rules for the mopar being steel head and block and no roller cams/rockers. 360 cubic inch max and a holly 2 barrel 500 cfm

Those are low numbers for a "602". I am to assume you mean 6.2

Those are low numbers for a "602". I am to assume you mean 6.2

Its not 602 ci... A gm '602' motor is a 350 ci sealed crate race motor. At my local track you can run a crate 602 with a 4 barrel or an open engine with a 2 barrel. Crate motor is way cheaper of an option to go racing.

As for mopar power not really sure what would need to build. I know we run an open motor with a 500 cfm 2 barrel and was 485ish out of a 358 in dirt sportsmen 7000rpm. Turing the carb sideways and pushing it all the way to one side made 12 more horsepower on dyno. Motor cost close to 10k professional built vs 3400ish for a gm crate

damn, i was thinking a bored over 318 to closer to 340 size or something

my grandpa use to have some magic small block builds but it is all lost

i think remember hearing him say destroke a 360 and bore it over to save on 340 blocks and he loved 340 heads for any small block

Well a 360 .40 over will be a stock bore 340 If I remember correctly. 360 run larger main bearings and longer stroke of coarse... anything weighing more slows it down.

By the time you build a destroked motor, need right headers, oil pan, intake etc. Why everyone runs a sbc. I always wanted to run a 340 but the cost and availability of parts.

its a balance of torque and hp.. torque gets you off the corner and hp down the straight especially short track racing.

yea the local track is 1/5 mile high bank, my grandpa use to go win with 340's and other small block concoctions back in the day in a modified

LA mopar motor lot better platform to build a race motor than a chevy sb can dream of! shaft mounted rockers an 18 degree heads an lot longer rods,..better cast blocks and cranks too from factory!! but parts are lot higher,..specially to run straight gear trans,..have you priced a blow proof bell housing?? idk if thay even make a bell for a bert or a brinn trans....its got its ups and its downs but put time in and make it work itll mean more than cookie cutter crate motor id build a 360 for torque and a 340 for high winding rpm depending on your needs where you run,..and build as much compression as you can will help with that 500 2 berral,...youll need to be carefull not to use them lil tires up yall run on them cars,..hear GRT and couple other chassis builders in hot water over there ome reproduction front clips not being within spec,..gonna be a hot debate in these cars this coming season...

Standard bore 360 mag block.stock 360 crank.scat I beam rods forged pistons for 12-1 comp. EQ318b heads eddy airgap intake. solid lifter custom grind in the [email protected] range headers.bert trans quicktime bell JW wheel flywheel. You will have no problem with the crate motors..

cool will do, i have some mopar scatter shields for bert trans laying around. i won't be racing for a while till i move back home just curious why no body runs a mopar. the stock engines are way better equipped with rod length, valves and what not.

They are called a "602" from the GM part # they are claimer sealed engine
19258602 - Chevrolet Performance Parts 602 (sealed)

The local track runs a class called X-Mod which I think is similar to the B-Mod. They run a two barrel,cast iron intake, limited compression engine. I have a friend that builds Chevy motors for that class and he says the best motors put out about 425 horsepower. This might give you an idea of what kind of power you might need. As a side note some of the guys are using E-85 for a little more horsepower and to get around a pump gas rule.

i was thinking of AV gas as a go around the PUMP gas rule lol

what would a stock ish 340/360 do with the correct/best factory heads. some porting up and compression work with headers and intake?

rpm no more that 7000

I don't know if you have raced before. If you have limited experience, just try to get reliable power and learn all you can about setting up the car. A lot of guys running the modified classes have been at it awhile and know most of the tricks. If they know you are new, most guys will be willing to help up to a point.

i grew up at the race track with my grandpa, he ran allied and ump modifieds since the dawn of the dirt modified, then raced 360 sprints his last couple years. i have always been around racing but I'm hoping to put the old modified back together or grab a used one next year hopefully if my palace chase the the air national guard goes thru to race in 2016 most likely.
theres a picture of his car back in the 90's. he passed away a few years back. i wish i would of gotten to learn more of his mopar engine recipes growing up

speaking of blow proof bell...... if you're interested I got this stuff with a recent purchase. fits small block.

I ran a modified for several years. Always Mopar run a hobby stock now also a mopar. You really need to start with a more modern chassieno more than 10 years old to be somewhat competitive. You need to read the rules and build your motor to the best advantage of the rules. Is there a compression limit can you port heads headers what intake . My A mod that I last raced. 2006.. and won features with. Was powered by a 360 LA ported 587 heads Hughes 5056 can single plane intake and headers. If I geared it to max out around6500 it would last all season and just need new valve springs for the next season ran that motor 5 years against some very stout 400+did thefts and beat them. Its more about car setup and reliability than max power.

yea, my grandpa use to win with small blocks on the smaller tracks

the local track just got taken over by a new promoter, the guy who runs powri

if the street stocks don't die off ill probably just try and start there when i do start but the past few years the B mod class has taken over. the mod i have has sat a long time and needs updated. its an old leaf spring car.

i am tempted to buy a pro 4 car to run out here in nevada if i can't get into the ang back in illinois.

runnin a stock car tho is a ways out, couple years. i was just curious how much money it would cost to be at an even level with the crate guys in the B mod class
a guy runs one of those locally back home. i would love to have it lol

I do run against the 602 crate. I have about 1500$ into my motor. 30 over 360 sp405 piston stock 360 heads hydrolic cam accelerator intake Rochester 2 bbl.
But they actually tech us and the rest have to run the same. I looked at the ump rules and you can run either the crate or an open motor with a bunch of weight penalties. to me that says the only tech will be external. It seems to me that if you were to win a lot with a non crate they would just keep pileing more weight on you until you weren't winning.

UMP wants to force people to buy chevy crates cause the get a kick back on it

hopefully UMP gets dropped within the next few years cause they have gone crazy it seems

thanks for the info btw

be careful if ya run AV gas we had a couple boys round here burn up a couple 604 crates on it,...yes chevy getting a kick back from few sanctions,..ford got couple crates thats legal in a few places,..wish mopar get in on the sealed motor game!!

av gas burn up motors? it has lead and used to have TEL in it to prevent knocking

did they buy a grade a fuel instead? some fuel is a mix of jet and av gas

-
Back