**To Cut or Not to Cut**

-
If cutting it will make you happy, then cut it.

Don't worry about the "Completely stock is best, any upgrades that cost money are worthless crowd" they are usually the ones who use their car as a laundry hamper.

Don't worry about the "Completely stock is best, any upgrades that cost money are worthless crowd" they are usually the ones who use their car as a laundry hamper.

You hit the nail on the head!

My laundry hamper has ran a best of 11.78 @ 118mph with the standard bore, original 340.

I do not think upgrades are worthless and I do not think every car should remain stock. I do believe in practical builds and I will criticize side-grades (You know… The latest fad in a magazine that costs hundreds of dollars but doesn't really do anything).

I don't think Mad grasps the concept of what it takes to build a 9 second driver. It takes more than big tires.

My reason for suggesting another car was simply that he could probably find one that has already been (at least) back halved and be ahead of the game.

These ladies say, "let's cut it up an have some fun!"

Wylde1.

torch1.jpg

torch2.jpg

torch4.jpg

My laundry hamper has ran a best of 11.78 @ 118mph with the standard bore, original 340.

I do not think upgrades are worthless and I do not think every car should remain stock. I do believe in practical builds and I will criticize side-grades (You know… The latest fad in a magazine that costs hundreds of dollars but doesn't really do anything).

I don't think Mad grasps the concept of what it takes to build a 9 second driver. It takes more than big tires.

My reason for suggesting another car was simply that he could probably find one that has already been (at least) back halved and be ahead of the game.

Its not easy to find one done already for a decent price, I have been looking for even a mostly rust free stock roller to replace my 69 Dart as I have all the drive train done and waiting.:dontknow:

IF I were to MINI TUB it how big a tire will fit?.....QUOTE]

Hey Maddart I mini-tubbed my dart and I am running 325/50/15 bfg drag radials. They look bad ***. They are a really tight fit and I had to trim the lip with about 3/4" on each side to spare. I am not sure if there is a difference between your 67 and the later stuff. Hope this helps.

Yes I do understand.......and know EXACTLY how to get there.

Listen I won't drive the car like you probably do your Daily transportation. I have plenty of cars for that. This would be take it to work on Friday, Sat Cruise etc. Then off to the track! I actually DRIVE my cars they will NEVER sit around. I took my 70 Dart 410 Stroker 4spd out today for at least a 50 mile run. I do that at least twice a week and run the SNOT out of it when I do.

I had 85k in my Long Travel Sand Car, had it custom built for ME. Yes guys had more.....whatever.. I ran the chitttttttttttt out of that also everywhere I went!

Like I said this is NOT my first rodeo. You can make all the power you want, if it NEVER gets to the ground it don't mean JACK!:-D

IF I were to MINI TUB it how big a tire will fit?.....QUOTE]

Hey Maddart I mini-tubbed my dart and I am running 325/50/15 bfg drag radials. They look bad ***. They are a really tight fit and I had to trim the lip with about 3/4" on each side to spare. I am not sure if there is a difference between your 67 and the later stuff. Hope this helps.

Got any pictures of the Rear and how it sits??

If its not going to run 4.5s in teh 1/8 tubbing a car is a waste.... they are running 4.90s on a 275 Drag radial.. where the challenge of big tires?

Center your rear wheels with a custom wheel with the correct back spacing.
If you use caltracs and the springs calvert sells ,you will be able to hook and run a 9 inch slick.

That car is very nice, and i would go only as far as you need.
I love cars that look stock and run times that most tubed cars can't.
Tire size is not the most important part of getting a car to hook,the suspension is the most important part and how adjustable it is.
There are ton's of people going well into the nines without tubing there cars and there using calvert suspensions.

Just take a look at all the stock and super stock cars pulling both there front wheels with nothing more then a 9 inch slick.

You can always tube it down the road if you wind up going low 8 second quarter's or faster.
Put your money in the driveline.
That car has a very nice interior and it would be a shame to see it cut up.
If you love the look of a pro street car, all tubed out, then it's the cool thing to do , but it won't make you any faster (unless you need it.)
Do you really need it????
To do it right is a ton of work.GOOD LUCK8)

What you dont understand, is that us east coast guys would kill to find a car in that condition. Not everyone lives in CA, y'know - lol.

Yes, I found a few cars that were HALF done. I have thought about that for months. Maybe I will keep thinking about it and just do the 318/402 stroker and drive train I mentioned in my earlier post. It would be an EASY swap and could be running in a few weeks.

The market is SUPER SOFT for car purchases right now and will probably get worse. Dollars and Cents wise you are correct, it would cost alot more to start where I am to get the same results buying a HALF done BASKET case.

Ok, I am off to work with the SMALL BLOCK swap and MINI TUB's.......................

I will start a new thread soon when I tear into it.

Badart,

Is that a MINI TUB & Ladder bar set up?? You ditched your Leaf Springs Correct?? Did you have to get rid of the spare tire and Gas Tank to do it?? Is there a way to keep the tank and spare intact with a Coil Over / Ladder bar set up??

Badart,

Is that a MINI TUB & Ladder bar set up?? You ditched your Leaf Springs Correct?? Did you have to get rid of the spare tire and Gas Tank to do it?? Is there a way to keep the tank and spare intact with a Coil Over / Ladder bar set up??

It's a parallel 4-link with a mini tub. To mount the coilover cross member I had to remove the tank, so I went ahead and removed the spare tire well also. It may be possible to keep the tank with a slightly different setup. I have had plans to run a fuel cell from the start.

It's a parallel 4-link with a mini tub. To mount the coilover cross member I had to remove the tank, so I went ahead and removed the spare tire well also. It may be possible to keep the tank with a slightly different setup. I have had plans to run a fuel cell from the start.

Thanks for the info........The BIG tire looks Bad ***!

Louis,

I just got home from MATS and I'm TIRED!

Cut that byatch up if it's what you want to do. 9 seconds ain't hard to do nowadays with boost/superchargers, juice... There are a bunch of guys running high 8's low 9's on leaf springs and 451-500 inch mills, some on juice. One Duster goes 8.75 at 158 with a 470....

Also... more than 1/2 the time when I see cars for sale that are partially done, most of the work needs to be redone to the way the new owner wants it. It's a crapshoot buying one like that unless you have someone that can look it over that's versed in chassiswork. I've got two friends that bought cars that were basically done and they were TOTAL JUNK. Everything had to be cut out and redone.

My friend got some pics of a SWEEEEEEETTTTT 70 B5 Blue Swinger from British Columbia that sounds like what you want to do. It had some HUGE MT sportsmans on it and the backseat was in the car with a FULL TUB.... It can be done, you have to get creative.

I had a buddy in the 80's that did backhalf cars in his garage... they ran hard, straight and the tin work was very good. It's easier on a jig, not impossible. Measure twice, think about the cut, measure twice more just to make sure! One of the members does his own ladder bar installs in his garage, using the leafs as a guide... Car goes ARROW STRAIGHT! It's all about getting a true centerline and pulling perpendiculars from that line.

Cool that you got to go.............

Yeah I know there are alot of guys running really fast and they still cruise on the street all the time. I would love to see some pictures of that Swinger......The 55-57 Chevy guys get Huge tires in there with the back seat still in so I figured it could be done with this Dart!

When you get time if you could post some pictures of that Swinger I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't cut that car , but it's your car. The most I would do is change the rear end and put a nice streetable small block in it. That's a sweet car , I wanted it.

I wouldn't cut that car , but it's your car. The most I would do is change the rear end and put a nice streetable small block in it. That's a sweet car , I wanted it.

The pictures posted are 2 years old....The car is all there but it is no way as clean as it use to be.....

I did find 2 other Darts for sale that would be good candidates to CUT UP for just about anybody posting here! But in the end they would be beautiful anyway soooooooooooooooo??

-
Back