To EBAY or not to EBAY?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have found this to be the friendliest of all the boards that I frequent, Ok it's a tie with one of the Jeep boards......

Anyways, here is the deal. I am a shop teacher and I have been selling parts for a few years to pay for my project cars that we build at school, including my 440 Dart Sport.

What has happened is this. I have way, way too many parts that I can't seem to sell on boards/C.list. Not very much Mopar stuff for sale, because I hoard that. I have a good pile that I am saving for future builds. I like to build cars.

Anyways, any advice on selling on ebay? I do have a PayPal account. I have never had an unsatisfactory transaction via a board.

I know better than to sell big items that are common. I just want the stuff gone at this point. We aren't talking a warehouse, but probably a fair sized back yard shed stuffed. Lots of weird stuff like Datsun parts, Toyota LandCruiser stuff, Willys and then a few Mopar parts.

Ideas? Warnings? Etc.?

What has your experience been as a seller?

At this point I am probably less driven by profit, and more driven by just seeing the stuff leave. I'm pretty used to the comunicating, packing, shipping scene.

Thanks for any input/warnings.

ROB

I think its a good way of getting rid of the stuff. I have sold and bought quite a bit from E-Bay without any problems... ( Knock on wood !! ) The biggest headache is answering the stupid questions... ( Will that Datsun tailgate fit on my Chevy Blazer ???? )

Accurately describe the part, in the narrative, list it "as is", no warranty/return, payment before shipment etc. Save all your correspondance until the transaction is complete. Good luck

My only issue with selling is shipping. Large parts get surcharges added per measurements. Hauling a package into the post office for a shipping quote them back a 2nd time to actually send it sux.
Every time I guessed at the shipping cost I lost. Most recent example was a service manual listed with 7.00 flat rate and post office charged 8.79

I think I can do all of that. I hear you on the shipping of large items. I have sold alot of Wagoneer stuff in the past. Made a lot of crates etc. Not really worth it anymore for me.

I'm not worried about coming though on my end, I just really want to protect my name on EBAY and avoid drama that way.

When I sell stuff I have a tendency to offer TMI which I guess is OK. My issue is that I don't want to have a lot of Paypal issues and transferring money etc. over a $12.00 part that someone is unhappy with.

I'm fairly good at the Ecommerce stuff, but not real good. Traditionally I have done USPS MO's with fair success.

ROB

Go for it! I have been selling on eBay (906 feedback, all positive!) and it is a great way to get rid of your parts. Just make sure you describe the parts with great detail, also list any part numbers you can find. Also take good pictures, do you have a digital camera? I didn't when I started so I went and bought one. Guess what, I paid for it within 2 weeks from my sales! When selling your stuff be nice and answer any questions, including the stupid ones! Also, make sure you package the stuff well and charge them auctual shipping charges. Good luck!

You might want to consider putting some of the larger & heavier items on Craigslist. It's easy and free. You also might make some good local contacts.

Two quick questions:

1. How do most of you recieve money? MO's or Paypal? I know Paypal can get messy if there is an issue, but I have used it so far.

2. When and how does EBAY want their money for the listing fee? How do they get paid?

Thank you, ROB

some of the more obscure parts you could include in lots to make the lots look more valuable and pull a better bid

Two quick questions:

1. How do most of you recieve money? MO's or Paypal? I know Paypal can get messy if there is an issue, but I have used it so far.

2. When and how does EBAY want their money for the listing fee? How do they get paid?

Thank you, ROB

I try to get people to pay with PayPal but you have to remember that if they pay you with a credit card, PayPal will charge you 4 percent more. I don't take personal checks because I want to get rid of my stuff and not wait for their check to clear.

Ebay will take their cut from the account that you have linked to your 'sellers' account. Nice thing about that is they seem to take forever to remove their fees.

Not trying to steal Rob's thread away, but maybe this will help him with all the parts sales he has??? I have been dealing on ebay for about 6 years and I have to be honest when I say they are getting WAY out of hand with the "commission" and "listing" fee's when an item sells. When I get my ebay bill, its like $30 to $50!!! I am at the point where I will not even use them anymore for selling items. I now generally just post to the car boards. My question is, does having an "ebay store" or anything makes better sense in reducing fee's or all the fee's basically the same? I have never explored it in depth and haven't really found much info on them (Stores). Maybe someone can chime in and help Rob and I out with this one??

An Ebay store can be a way to reduce the initial listing fees($0.10 per listing regardless of value), but you are still going to get dinged for the final value fees(about the same as regular 7-day auction listings). And the items you list in an Ebay store don't always come up when a buyer does an Ebay item search, unless you spring for Ebay's top tier store program, which has a fairly hefty monthly fee to do that. But once you do list an item in the store, it stays up for 30 days and automatically relists itself if it doesn't sell.

I have set up a bottom tier store for the items I market on Ebay for Layson's with good success. I keep stock current and will send certain items to 7-day auction if they've been around too long, and it also helps to broaden my exposure to other buyers who normally wouldn't be aware I even had an Ebay store. The store format also allows my customers to subscribe to an automatic e-newsletter notifying them when new listings are added if they wish.

So far, it has worked well. But you're still going to have to answer all those questions from potential buyers......whether or not the info is listed in plain sight in the description.

Good Luck! with the Ebay store, maybe you and/or some of your students might get a little extra cirricular real world economics 101 out of the experience. After all, this is fast becoming the American way to do business.

Ok guys and girls! Here is Treva my wife to maybe help yall.

Hello, everyone. I've been selling on ebay for a couple of years. I just recently opened a ebay store to help reduce some of my fees. I started out slow but now keep about 100 items listed. Items that are hot, fast sellers, hard to find I list as auction but things that are only meant for a select few I list in my store. I have the basic store which is about $15 a month and listing fees are only .06 -.10 cents and they take their % when you sell your item. This can save quite a bit. I also use a site called Auctiva that will save you alot of money on posting pictures. I can give you the link if anyone is interested. Yes ebay fees do seem kinda high from one stand point but if you look at it from a retail perspective you have no overhead, no advertising and you have access to unlimited number of buyers. The 1st and last of the month you'll find you have a lot more action, it slows during the middle. Ending your item on Sat or Sun for electronic, auto parts, what I call guy stuff using gets more bids. Ending on Monday or Tuesday for "girl stuff" household items usely get more bids ending times 7-9 p.m on Sat. and 7-8 p.m. on weekdays to catch all time zones. I ship all my items Federal Express except for international in which I use USPS. I have used UPS personally I like FedX. You can sign up for all the postal services online and print your postage right from the computer so all you have to do is drop it off and no waiting in lines (they will come by your house to pick-up also) USPS gives you discounts if you buy online and all of them allow you to get price quotes so you can ensure quoting the correct price for shipping (just remember to pack you item before weighing). As stated in previous post it's very important you learn how to pack your items where they have no movement during shippment because the ride can be pretty rough. I use paypal and love it. I can use it just like my debit card from the bank (but don't use it at the gas pump go inside because they will deduct a depoist until it clears, I learnt that the hard way) Payments go directly into the account, if you use online shipping you can set it up where that come out of your paypal and ebay will automatically deduct your fees from paypay. My fees our usually about $200 a month but when I opened my store it went down to around $150. My total sales a month are ususally around $800-$1500. (some months are slower just like in the real world). You can pay your fees weekly if you like. When first starting out there is a trial and error period. But once you figure out what you like selling and what makes the most money you will start seeing the profit. Just one more tip if you know the value of your item don't go by what previous items sold for, because it may be how they listed the item, what time of day, and time of month that give them the low price. But don't price to high, make your starting bid the lowest price your willing to take for an item and if it doesn't sell the first time, relist. I've relisted items 3 or 4 times before selling. Yes this does increase your fees so if you don't want to add more fees place it in your store at a higher price and just wait, it may take longer to sale but it will. I hope this helps. Thanks Treva

I hope some one got some help out of that stuff Treva typed in!!
she sure can ramble on sometimes, But she means well.:thumblef:

Well e-bay to me is all about e-bay...sorry but i HATE (strong i know) but its driven price's out of control. And don't give me "it's worth what someone is willing to pay " crap. They can do anything they want to with YOUR pay-pal account including freezing it or giving money back to people who say that you didn't send them the item, even if you did YOU as the seller you have to prove it was sent, meaning NO pick ups. They can stop your auction anytime with a reason only they know and wont tell you. what theres more PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT..http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

and then there's this.......PayPal Provides you with a PayPal Account and not a Real Merchant Account. Your money is deposited into a PayPal account, which PayPal Controls, rather than your own bank account. If PayPal even wonders for a second about the validity of a transaction, they can Freeze Your PayPal Account Immediately and suck all your money out. They can even pull your money directly out of your personal bank account, many times without even a phone call or e-mail. If you think PayPal treated you unfairly and want to dispute their decision, You Will Be At Their Mercy as PayPal plays the role of the Investigator, Judge, Jury and Executioner in all issues regarding your account. (You agreed to all of this, when you signed up.)

I will reply in a bit more detail later. I'm at work now. I have read your thoughts and I do appreciate them. I hear you on the PayPal. I only use it to recieve, and then I immediately send the money to my bank account.

I have heard alot of stories about how they do business.........not good.

I have pretty much exhausted all the normal routes for getting rid of stuff, and I feel that I need to just try it and see.

I live a long ways from civilization, so the usual Craigslist stuff does not always work. I deliver, meet in the middle, ship items normal folks wouldn't etc.

The bell just rang.........

Here they come.

Talk to you later, ROB

Hello All,

I have found this to be the friendliest of all the boards that I frequent, Ok it's a tie with one of the Jeep boards......

Anyways, here is the deal. I am a shop teacher and I have been selling parts for a few years to pay for my project cars that we build at school, including my 440 Dart Sport.

What has happened is this. I have way, way too many parts that I can't seem to sell on boards/C.list. Not very much Mopar stuff for sale, because I hoard that. I have a good pile that I am saving for future builds. I like to build cars.

Anyways, any advice on selling on ebay? I do have a PayPal account. I have never had an unsatisfactory transaction via a board.

I know better than to sell big items that are common. I just want the stuff gone at this point. We aren't talking a warehouse, but probably a fair sized back yard shed stuffed. Lots of weird stuff like Datsun parts, Toyota LandCruiser stuff, Willys and then a few Mopar parts.

Ideas? Warnings? Etc.?

What has your experience been as a seller?

At this point I am probably less driven by profit, and more driven by just seeing the stuff leave. I'm pretty used to the comunicating, packing, shipping scene.

Thanks for any input/warnings.

ROB

For what you are planning to do, Ebay would be another viable option on top of what you are already doing. There is usually more risk involved in the purchasing aspect of Ebay vs selling. The hardest part about selling is shipping the stuff. Be sure to protect yourself here. Also, it may take a little time to ramp up because you are a new seller.

-
Back