To Go Wing or not?

-

hux340

Reaction score
Thinking of putting the Go Wing on my 71 Dodge Demon. Didn't come from the factory with one. If I go ahead with it, is there somewhere I can get info on measurements for exactly where it goes & the modifications I have to do inside the trunk.

Thinking of putting the Go Wing on my 71 Dodge Demon. Didn't come from the factory with one. If I go ahead with it, is there somewhere I can get info on measurements for exactly where it goes & the modifications I have to do inside the trunk.
:popcorn:

first you will have to see if your trunk lid has the cut out for the wing, if not you will have to due some cutting. You will need wing, mounting brackets, instructions for mounting the wing and some other parts and you will have to purchase the templates seperately for cutting the trunk lid (FP244 templates ($30/pr.), if they are not cut out yet, Check this link out where they sell everything you will need including the instructions for mounting it

First Place Auto Products - Spoilers, Wings, Scoops, Weatherstrip - Mopar Ford

I know it's only my opinion, which isn't worth doodly-squat, but I don't think the Go-Wing looks good on any Mopar. It doesn't match the lines of any of them. It also doesn't help that they were installed on Mustangs first.

Even if I had a numbers-matching Hemi car that came with one, I would take it off.

Just my $0.02, flame on.

G'day All,
Yeah heard all the negatives ref the go wing in the past which is why I'm in two minds. No objections to anyone telling me their opinions. Can't reverse it once it's done.
I reckon - they look to big. A smaller more subtle one would have been better. Maybe we should run a poll? I think I'm in for more against than doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's you're ride do what you like I actually like the look of the go wing. 65'

Go wings don't impress me on the 70 cars. but the gull wing on the 71's are nice.

The way to place the wing on a 71 is to buy the inner deck lid brackets. Mount them with adjustment nuts. The transfer punch the holes from the inside out. This way you know your wing will line up with the inner bracket.

The bracket on the inside is there too reinforce the wing so not to bend the outer sheet metal from the wing rocking back and forth. Most deck lids on 71's without the outer center rib have the cutouts . I have seen some ribbed 72 deck lids with the cut outs. But only a couple in my 45 years of working on these cars.

I like the looks of them on the E bodies, and the Dart Swinger body but they just look out of place on the Duster and Demon to me. I think it's because the trunk lid slopes so much more on them. I like the clean look of the Demon from behind... and those tail lights ;-}

Just my 2 cents. If you are going to do this and will need to paint the trunk lid, Why not buy another trunk lid and paint both at the same time one with wing and one without. That way you can have the best of both worlds. 4 bolts and its a different car!

If you can find one of the old direct connection duck tail spoilers, it would look a million times better.

They look awesome without any extra junk on the trunk.

If I had a car that came with one originally, I would leave it, or maybe take the decklid off, store it & put on a regular one.

Even though NOT OEM I like the AAR style ducktail rear spoiler. A guy that makes all the F body add on's makes one.

I have had E bodies that came factory with ped. spoilers, and never liked their looks. Just me

I just installed a gull wing from 1st Place auto this past weekend. The measurements come with the instructions. Took a couple hours but easy to do.

Check your trunk lid inside and see if is notched out for the brackets needed. If not notched out, 1st Place has the templates to trim the lid.

It's a personal thing, but I like it on my 71 Duster.

I just installed a gull wing from 1st Place auto this past weekend. The measurements come with the instructions. Took a couple hours but easy to do.

Check your trunk lid inside and see if is notched out for the brackets needed. If not notched out, 1st Place has the templates to trim the lid.

It's a personal thing, but I like it on my 71 Duster.

pictures?

pictures?
Haven't taken it outside yet.. Will do later

Wing Install 001-1.jpg

Wing Install 003-1.jpg

Wing Install 002-1.jpg

The original wings are pretty strong. If this was an aftermarket wing it would have flew off. Also the repops sag in the sun. They should have a crown looking at it from the rear I had one on my Demon also. Still have it. I like the gull wing on the Demon and Duster it matches the points on the quarter ends. My 71 roadrunner is also getting one. I have a bunch I kept from cars I parted. I sold all the go wings. They belong on a 69 mustang.

spoiler pics 660.jpg

spoiler pics 359.jpg

dus1[1].jpg

DSCF0097[2].jpg

DSCN2777.JPG

DSCN2785 (2).JPG

DSCN2781 (2).JPG

scan0016.jpg

opinion...
Still like the Duster/Demon with clean lines
Go Wing... Dart Swinger, and E Bodies. They do look good on the 1969 and 1970 Mustang as well. But as they say "To each they're own". Some people hate hood tachs, some don't. That's why they had Direct Connection back in the day. Just enjoy the ride! :steering:

Your car, your choice, but...you asked.

In the days of yore, they were kinda cool, because you almost never saw them...now that almost everybody's got one, they're a lot less cool looking, IMHO

I like the wing on the Duster and Demon cars......the Darts......not so much.

-
Back