To Lift or Not to Lift

-

Joe Dokes

Reaction score
I am going to build a new garage this summer. City limits me to 700 Square feet so it will be 25X28. Would like it to be bigger, but you can't fight city hall, I am not going to go through the expense of asking for a variance. :(

I am considering a two post lift, but am concerned about the amount of room it will take up in the garage.

I would like some feedback on those who've pulled the trigger and put in a lift, particularly those of you who've put one in a relatively small space.

Also any lift companies that you recommend or who to avoid, would also be helpful.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Joe--My garage is only 14x22 and I just put a atlas lift in it and it is crammed and hard to walk around in,So you should have no problem---Steve-----lift was from greg smith equipment yea it's a china one but really for the price hard to beat,Just pulled the 5.7 out of the duster and having the lift made it SIMPLE !!!! really I will be lucky to use that lift a couple times a month IF that much

Lifts do take up some room but it is so nice to stand up and work under a car than laying on a creeper you will not regret it. Mine is a Foward 10,000 lb and it is sweet.

Thanks for the replies, now I just need to figure out how to hide it from my wife. ;)

I think I'll buy it, and tell her it's a structural component.

Yeah, that'll work, it'll have too, or I'll end up living in the new garage.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Full rise lifts are the best but you need some decent ceiling clearance like 12' or better, and your floor should be 6" thick with 3000 lb per square inch, I believe is the recommended load rating......someone correct me of I'm wrong on that.

Scizzor lifts are an option but work room under car is limited.....some of the very pricey ones have good center clearance though.

I have even seen them flush mounted and recessed in the floor...bad *** but a lot of work.

Ever think of a pit?

Full rise lifts are the best but you need some decent ceiling clearance like 12' or better, and your floor should be 6" thick with 3000 lb per square inch, I believe is the recommended load rating......someone correct me of I'm wrong on that.

Scizzor lifts are an option but work room under car is limited.....some of the very pricey ones have good center clearance though.

I have even seen them flush mounted and recessed in the floor...bad *** but a lot of work.

Ever think of a pit?

I think a pit is out, unfortunately garage height is limited to 13 feet. If your beginning to think, "Holly crap, your city is out of control!" I'd agree, not only do I have these codes to contend with but we also live in a "historic district" which basically means that 7 geriatrics get to decide what you build. I truly love my neighborhood but if I had to do it over again, I'd live somewhere else. It took me a year to pull the permits to build an addition that is only 300 square feet, and a 700 square foot garage.

I'm leaning towards a low height lift from Greg Smith.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9KBP

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I think a pit is out, unfortunately garage height is limited to 13 feet. If your beginning to think, "Holly crap, your city is out of control!" I'd agree, not only do I have these codes to contend with but we also live in a "historic district" which basically means that 7 geriatrics get to decide what you build. I truly love my neighborhood but if I had to do it over again, I'd live somewhere else. It took me a year to pull the permits to build an addition that is only 300 square feet, and a 700 square foot garage.

I'm leaning towards a low height lift from Greg Smith.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9KBP

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I know what you mean.

Stipulations are out of control with zoning and building codes......seems to be a law for everything and fifty employees to enforce each one.

-
Back