To Mod or Not ?

-

LeeM

Reaction score
When it comes to working on others vehicles I don't have a problem but I i'm getting ready to start a '74 Scamp project and wonder if doing some custom mods would be welcomed and possibly help the resale... may I have your opinion please?

I first have to replace the top due to a failed vinyl causing cancer. The motor is a 318 roller that has been bored to 323 CI, head work, intake, 4 bbl, backed by an automatic. I will also do the simple suspension tricks for a track car. The goal is to have a sweet looking low stance cruiser.

I wonder about:

1. Many like the '70-'72 bumpers- I was shocked to find out that the rear panel cost $380, then add the cost of the bumper, hardware, and lower panel... this might be too costly to break even... but what do you think?

2. The rear quarter panel extensions: fill the seams or leave them?

3. I have never really liked the exposed gas cap. Make a flat cap or recess the nozzle and add a gas door, or leave it alone ?

4. Vinyl top or not?

5. Engine compartment: relocate the battery, hide the wires, smooth all panels, cold air system either going up to the radiator core or back to the cowl (cutting a oblong hole in the firewall to access the area under the windshield)

6. The seats have already been covered in light grey vinyl with dark grey inserts... I was thinking of Inferno Red or a wine color... ?

I plan on driving this until someone else "has to have it" so I don't want to go overboard with custom work.... that can be saved for another project.
Thank you for your opinions!

Such a personal thing... If you want to improve it,my .02 cents. I would smooth ,caress,& touch the stock bumpers in. Pulling them in closer,& smoothed out/trimmed down bumpers,would help considerably. You change the front clip,the back looks strange(to me).
Let's start with some actual pictures, of the vehicle in question....

1 both the old and new bumpers are cool. I have no opinion.
2 fill the extensions, it looks badass when done.
3 Interesting idea on the gas cap, I have no input.
4 vinyl tops are cool but they breed rust and rot. Your call.
5 Ive always felt hidden wires and smoothed engine bays to be tacky. Battery relocate is a fine idea though.
6 Cant give an opinion on the intrior without knowing the cars color.

JMO

Wanna make it smooth? ditch the gas cap and fill it from inside the trunk. -pauly

Attachments

• 6-22-13 014_1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 261
This is what I'm starting with:
my_74_scamp.jpg

Abodybomber- Cutting and tucking the bumpers in was another idea that came up, which may be the way to go since both need to be re-chromed
Paulv - I like your idea of complete removal, may I have a picture of how you plumbed the fill tube in the trunk? I have an idea but .....
Love your opinions, keep them coming please

Should be fairly easy, stuff a rag down the fill tube to catch metal shavings and cut it where you want it. Better yet use a pipe cutter. If it's hard to reach, use some kind of flex tube or 90 degree gas friendly hose to make it easier to fill. Connect the top of the tube to that with clamps so you can re-use the cap and you should be good to go.
I have a fuel cell in mine so I didn't have the same concerns.

Just some friendly advice from an old hand....
If you are looking to keep the car may I suggest that you do the mods to the car that you like. If your looking to add resale value then keep it stock and fix cosmetic/mechanical problems. Mods are very personal. A future purchaser may not like the non stock changes/colors/materials that appealed to you. It may very well reduce what they would pay for the car if it isn't their taste. A purchaser can't nit pick too much with a stock car, other than condition/appearance, even if they want to modify it ultimately.

I've modified many, many cars over the years but I never once did it to increase resale value. It lowers the purchaser pool (many guys want an "unmolested" car to do their own "molesting" to.... kind of like girl friends!) and in my experience you don't recoup the expense of the mods a lot of the time.

1. Many like the '70-'72 bumpers- I was shocked to find out that the rear panel cost $380, then add the cost of the bumper, hardware, and lower panel... this might be too costly to break even... but what do you think?

2. The rear quarter panel extensions: fill the seams or leave them?

That's more of a personal choice. It looks cool filled, though.

3. I have never really liked the exposed gas cap. Make a flat cap or recess the nozzle and add a gas door, or leave it alone ?

I like how the filler cap on my '68 GTX and '67 New Yorker are hidden behind a hinged rear license plate. However, I do like the exposed GT-style caps, too.

4. Vinyl top or not?

I was never a fan of vinyl tops.

5. Engine compartment: relocate the battery, hide the wires, smooth all panels, cold air system either going up to the radiator core or back to the cowl (cutting a oblong hole in the firewall to access the area under the windshield)

Battery relocation to the trunk is a good idea, but I like easy access to all the "stuff" under the hood in case it needs work.

6. The seats have already been covered in light grey vinyl with dark grey inserts... I was thinking of Inferno Red or a wine color... ?

That's also a personal choice. A Burgundy wine color might be nice...and different.

paully v.100, ah a fuel cell i get it. the other idea I'm toying with is convert the left quarter extension to swivel outward exposing the filler...
I agree totally rapom65! These are mods I like, but I have 4 other projects that need attention so when it's done - it will be for sale to the right person or I'll have fun with it.
Thanks fishbreath, this is the feed back I'm looking for.

-
Back