To my brethren in the Springfield MO area..Help needed

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
10mi or so.

thats nothing really. but if you dont change the fluid and stop the coolant from getting into the trans fluid, it will stop working. even if you can replace 4 or 5 quarts of it , and stop the coolant, you will be strides ahead of a permanent failure....IMO

thats nothing really. but if you dont change the fluid and stop the coolant from getting into the trans fluid, it will stop working. even if you can replace 4 or 5 quarts of it , and stop the coolant, you will be strides ahead of a permanent failure....IMO

ok so just connect the lines together at the rad...drain the trans, flush the rad and block the holes, then refill the trans?

ok so just connect the lines together at the rad...drain the trans, flush the rad and block the holes, then refill the trans?

yes , just until you can get it fixed for good. just to work and back tho , nothing else, because the fluid will get hot. use a type F or dex 3 fluid, no synthetics, that wouldnt be helping any.

if D5667 can help with a radiator , i have one for sale here that you can have for shipping $

Ill have to see what I can do. Right now bills are due and i dont know if Ill have any cash until next week. this goofy thing always seems to go nutty in between checks.

Ill have to see what I can do. Right now bills are due and i dont know if Ill have any cash until next week. this goofy thing always seems to go nutty in between checks.

i hear you there, thats the story of my life LOL. i would just send it out to you , but im broke until next tuesday :violent1:

at least stop the coolant into the trans fluid and get a few quarts of new into it. it should last at least another week or so

i hear you there, thats the story of my life LOL. i would just send it out to you , but im broke until next tuesday :violent1:

at least stop the coolant into the trans fluid and get a few quarts of new into it. it should last another week.

I just bought a new gal of trans fluid last night..thats when I found out that I was geting water in the trans. I was supposed to be at a small charity carshow/cruise sunday. If I get the trans cooler up here and change out the fluid..will it last a 5mi or so drive?

I just bought a new gal of trans fluid last night..thats when I found out that I was geting water in the trans. I was supposed to be at a small charity carshow/cruise sunday. If I get the trans cooler up here and change out the fluid..will it last a 5mi or so drive?

i would say yes. i have drained brown, burnt , stinky, dirty fluid with leaves and metal in the pan out of some that were still working good. you need to get as much of the water /coolant you possibly can out of it. i would wager that the water and coolant will kill it faster than the heat..

Well apparently my trans cooler is MIA. Just got off the phone with grandpa. This day keeps getting better

Well apparently my trans cooler is MIA. Just got off the phone with grandpa. This day keeps getting better

just connect the lines together and get another radiator
D5667 has one and i have one. you might hit him up first because hes closer and 1st in line

An real easy way to flush a lot of the old fluid out is to remove the cooler line from the radiator that runs from the front of the transmission and aim it into a bucket and start the car and put it in neutral. It'll pump a lot of the old stuff out then add another gallon or so and let it pump it out. Then either connect the lines together temporarily until you can install an external cooler and fill it with fluid. You'll also have to install plugs into the radiator fittings where the trans. lines used to go or it may leak.

JRDart-I've got an aftermarket add on trans cooler that you can have. Send me an address and I'll get it out on Monday.

OK so after several hours today of my boss driving me around to oreillys and stuff like that Ive got the problem temporarily solved. Drained the trans Dropped the pan and then cleaned everything out. Blew out the filter with some compressed air and put everything back together. This is just a temporary fix. next week Im draining it again and flushing it. I also added some Seafoam trans treatment to it as its said to remove moisture and clean deposits. Thank you guys for all your help.

JR, I haven't been on here for a few days and just saw this thread. I'm located a couple for hours east of Springfield.
Sounds like cascius has you covered on the cooler. If not, I should have one laying around here somewhere, finding it is the problem. lol
I've seen quite a few trans that had water in them still work for a long time after they were flushed out.
PM me if you need anything as I'm not on here very day. I'll help if I can. I have lots of parts, including /6 trans.
Good luck,
Dallas

JR, I haven't been on here for a few days and just saw this thread. I'm located a couple for hours east of Springfield.
Sounds like cascius has you covered on the cooler. If not, I should have one laying around here somewhere, finding it is the problem. lol
I've seen quite a few trans that had water in them still work for a long time after they were flushed out.
PM me if you need anything as I'm not on here very day. I'll help if I can. I have lots of parts, including /6 trans.
Good luck,
Dallas

Thanks Dallas. Yeah Ive got the cooler and such covered. Spent all day yesterday working on the car. Drained it all except the tq converter. Its shifting and driving just fine but Its got me paranoid as the fluid is still noticeably pink and murky . This thing is all I have to get to work. I plan on getting the trans flushed next week but thatll probably leave me short for getting the stuff to refill it/ gaskets/ filter ect. This goofy thing always messes with me when the bills are due lol. But at least Im not wanting to just crush the darn thing anymore. Ive put too much heart into the car for that now.

Hey JR sorry to get off topic, but is R&R salvage still around? Was there years ago when I was looking to build a Dart. Seen lots of Great old Mopar's , the feild was huge if I remember.

yeah they are..but the dont carry anything below 90 anymore...not many salvage yards carry anything that old. When they do..they wanna rape you on price then make you go pull it yourself.

Someone correct me if i,m wrong. Seems the trans is vented and they run between 140 and 220 according to load and ambient temp. If you got 90% of the water out wouldnt the remaining moisture turn to vapor and vent out?

Someone correct me if i,m wrong. Seems the trans is vented and they run between 140 and 220 according to load and ambient temp. If you got 90% of the water out wouldnt the remaining moisture turn to vapor and vent out?

In theory yes...Id imagine that seafoam trans conditioner would help some as well.

I'd say that's true Pete if he was running straight water. But most of the time there's some mixture of antifreeze in the coolant. Generally 50/50 here in the midwest due to our cold winters. I'm a country mile from being a chemist but my guess is the antifreeze chemicals won't evaporate. Not sure what they'd do to clutch and band friction material but I know it's not good on bushings and may gum up valves in the valve body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back