To our cousins in the US...

-
We don't get charged brokeage fee or taxed on goods imported, and its a bloody long way from the states to here (I hope the ATO-Aust. Tax Office don't watch this site as they are always trying new ideas to get there hand into my back pocket)

Makes me wonder about our friends to the South of the US, like Mexico?

Are you sure that charge was for brokerage and just not Duty/taxes?

Canada Post charges only $5 for Brokerage ($8 for Priority Packages) IF they charge you at all. In 14 years I've only had Canada Post charge me once and that was taxes on said item because it wasn't made in the US.

I could be wrong, it might have been for duty/taxes, but whats the difference?? Its an extra charge right?? I have bought quite a few things from fabo members and 99% of the time it is shipped via USPS. I have paid extra fees at Canada post, maybe 4 or 5 times out of 20 shipments. With UPS I pay extra every single friggin time!! The extra fees with Canada Post happen more often than not when there is insurance placed on the part being shipped(if valued $100 or more), but thats the price I pay when I want the parcel insured.

I could be wrong, it might have been for duty/taxes, but whats the difference?

Um…the difference is complete and total. Brokerage fee = service charge for getting the package across the border in compliance with all applicable Customs and Revenue regulations. Duty and tax is...duty and tax!

Um…the difference is complete and total. Brokerage fee = service charge for getting the package across the border in compliance with all applicable Customs and Revenue regulations. Duty and tax is...duty and tax!

I realize that Dan, I was being sarcastic, but the bottom line is extra $$ out of our pockets for whatever they want to call it.

A coworker was looking into mobile homes in Canada. He contacted two companies and got quotes. He then contacted a third company which actually builds the mobile homes he was looking at here in Canada and sells them to other companies to sell. To make a long story short, this company sells the homes to companies in the US and it was cheaper for this coworker to buy the mobile home in the US and have it shipped up here (even though it was made here) than it was to buy one locally.

I Just did the same thing with a 16' open car trailer....$1800 in the US...$3350 in Canada, for the EXACT same trailer. Guess where I bought it?

Only add'l expense....$200 RIV fee.

Yes Canada post will charge fee's. The only way around this is to have your parcels mailed to an address just within the U.S and cross the border,pick it up yourself. The only fee I experience doing it this way is $3,charged by the gas station/postal outlet on the U.S side.Very reasonable and would be free if I rented a mail box from them for $15/yr.

The border guards will charge tax based on the value of your goods when you bring it across,and also based on where it was made. Old car parts are duty free,but you still pay sales tax.

I think I see a retirement career opportunity as a U.S. to Canada Smuggler.
Dan, I'll need some help digging the tunnel; get out your work clothes & shovel.

-
Back