to paint or not to paint '68 Dart

-
My 66 Falcon is only getting rattle can in the exposed metal and my dent repairs. Everything else is staying stock. If it's a race car, who cares.

Any way you want to go is up to you. I have done the spray can paint job on vehicles before, but they dont last. By the time you buy enough cans, you can buy a half gallon of auto paint and have a better finish. I recently painted my race car with an air paint gun and a gallon of paint. This was a full color change, engine compartment, trunk, door jambs and all. Still have over a quart left. If you just want to color the outside, you could use a half gallon would be enough. It wont cost any more than cans. This was my first real paint job, it turned out alright. I will say that the painting was way easier this way as well, and your finger wont go numb.
As far as weight goes, most of the weight of a gallon of paint is the can and the solvents in the paint, when dry, it wont add but maybe 2 pounds at the most. I too dig the old school look, but not the rat rod look. :yawinkle:

yes do not want lose stock look

I never knew stock was rusty and needing body work asap.

give the car a coat of paint in the color it came with from the factory if you want the stock look

Also, my 4 year old son enjoys working on the race car with me and I don't have to worry about the paint.

I say paint it.... then don't worry about the paint, that way, when your son is 20, you can hang out in the garage and talk about the day that this chip, that scuff, the small scratch etc. happened and have a good old time, but yeah...cool as it kinda looks, I still say paint it........oh, and one thing your son will never forget, is the day he see's that bad boy come home all shiny

I say leave it. I get compliments on the "paint" scheme on my 64 all the time.
102_0072.jpg

-
Back