To paint or not to paint

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
That is the question! Pretty much done with my transmission rebuild and was wondering if anyone paints their transmissions?? I was thinking about just painting it the same orange as my engine will be. It was pretty grungy and took a lot of wire wheeling to clean it up so I am worried that those scratches will eventually hold dirt and grime worse than if painted... any opinions? Thanks!

Also.. I have to adjust the bands on the trans and was wondering what socket to use with my torque wrench?? I did a search and found someone suggested a 1/4 8 point socket? Thanks again.:cheers:

I never paint mine. I've always heard old timers (I guess I'm one now) talk about how the transmission needs to "breathe" through the case to dissipate heat better. Sounds stupid......but you never know. I know paint DOES have a sealin effect. The factory never did it. Maybe there's somethin to it. Waste of paint in my book anyway since nobody can see it. Unless you play target practice with pedestrians.

Ditto ,I didnt paint mine either.
IMG_0385.jpg

I really dont like orange on orange or blue on blue. I think that the silver or grey or even black offsets it and it looks really good then. The one in our 340 is unpainted and the 383 is a blackish gunmetal.

-
Back