To paint or not to paint?

-

nwdart

Reaction score
Gonna lift the cuda off the k frame to pull 4speed and bell housing , to fix freeze plugs and check everything out. Cuda is b5 blue. Thinking just painting top and inner fenders. Car will get a complete resto in a couple years. Other projects to complete before this one. Just want to enjoy driving a not perfect car on the exterior for a while. Was this red paint correct on engine in 69. 340 console 4 speed car. Washed engine bay and yard drove it today. First time for me and first time in 4 years. Hard as it may be, not going to tear it completely apart. Or fix mechanically and put back together and drive the wheels off it until resto time. What do you guys think

Attachments

• image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 378
It can wait..

Drive and enjoy!

i am at the same point as you with mine. i rebuilt the engine and painted the engine bay. but i am leaving the exterior for a few years. like Gerald says drive and enjoy btw cool car

Attachments

• 20140827_213858.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 20140827_214012.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 20140827_214135.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 372
Thanks guys driving as is works for me, nice car Darren console 4 speeds are just cool. Bought the car last Monday, put all new accurate exhaust on it this weekend and got her fired up to find the freeze plug problem, hope that's all it is. Getting too old to deal with the 4 speed on my back lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 340
If you leave it alone you'll be drivin it a lot sooner.

Drive it, you can always polish it later.

I bought an old corvette about 6 months ago just to have a old car to drive around.
It has 20 year old paint, still shiny but scratches, I don't care the car is fun to drive.

I have the Duster tore apart and it has not moved in 1.5 years.
I tend to work on it in the winter months when it is cold out.

agree'd drive it till it needs it, BUT take car of whats there now, it'll go on for years not needing fresh paint..........

As said, you only got so much nice weather to drive it NOW, tear it down and that time will be lost!

... Was this red paint correct on engine in 69. 340 console 4 speed car...

Red could be the correct engine color for a very early '69 340. Although the "official" '69 340 color was turquoise. Some were also blue.

Thanks for the replies guys, will repaint entire car at a later date myself, no fender tag once again. If i do not find build sheet when it gets tore down, will be changing to the turbine bronze with black stripe combo. Bottom of car is super nice and clean. Pics of a few projects that are ahead of it. 67 gt big bolt 360-727 column shift grocery getter. Put new floors in all new fuel system. Need to plumb breaks and hang exhaust and it will be ready to fire. Nwdart

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 277
This one is tubbed tied 4link with hemi Denny front k . Car is quick and lots of fun need to finish enough to make it street able.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 252
Geez, it doesn't look bad the way it is. If it were me, planning a resto down the road, I would just clean it up real good and put the engine back in place and drive the wheels of it.

My opinion is that you should fix what it absolutely needs right now, and then do all of the extras when you restore it.
It looks good now, resist the urge to get in too deep.

AdamR
Founder / Admin Emeritus

AdamR

AdamR's Flag is: United States

View Photos By: AdamR

Red was only used on 340s in 68. Turquoise for 69, Hemi Orange from 70 til april 71, Blue from April 71 up.

My 73 Duster resto
My shop
My Band
AdamR is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 PM #9
340sFastback

340sFastback

View Photos By: 340sFastback

Mine is a Feb '69 build date car and it was originally turquoise.

My Web Site: www.BillsGarage.info
340sFastback is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM #10
416stroker

416stroker

416stroker's Flag is: United States

View Photos By: 416stroker

Mine is a March 69 production date and it was torquoise also. I know that 70's were all orange but Adam somewhere I remember reading that some of the late 69 production engines were painted orange and that carried over into the new production year.

I know...you can't believe everything you read, right?

I stand corrected!

Sequence number is 298692. Is that feb. 1969 should be some evidence once I get it out. This is my 3rd 69. 1st was so rusted out even the door pillars that I sold the car but kept the 340 for my 69 dart . Second 69 cuda I still have and is a 318 auto console car with fender tag. And this one that I could not say no to.

...Red was only used on 340s in 68. Turquoise for 69, Hemi Orange from 70 til april 71, Blue from April 71 up....

...Mine is a March 69 production date and it was torquoise also. I know that 70's were all orange but Adam somewhere I remember reading that some of the late 69 production engines were painted orange and that carried over into the new production year....

I know...you can't believe everything you read, right?

All I was saying was that if he has an early '69 car it could have gotten a leftover (red) '68 engine.
Also, how do you explain my '69 340 which is blue (not turquoise)? This was verified as being correct by Govier.
lt%20side%20engine.JPG

Ma mopar did a lot of strange things back in the day. Hope I can scrape down on the block csi style and get the correct color. Thanks for the input.

I think all we know is that the paint was sprayed ! Other than that mopar did a lot of rolling changes apparently. A blue 69 - yes, you got me there! Never saw one except yours.

I would leave it as is for a while, but CHANGE THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE TO A MOLDED ONE....

Those flex hoses look goofy to me....

-
Back