to rebuild or just lower end 71 440

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I have a 71 440 that was build 20 yrs ago had low on start up, decided to go a different route...engine have been stored inside this whole time...took just the pan off and crank out seen it had a few hole in the crank that a few pices of thin rubber in them, and the bearing had some scratches, so I got the crank turned and new bearings...do I take it all the way down, or just the crank and new bearings...

I don;t follow you... How do the bores look? What did the bearings look like when you removed them? What did the backsides look like? What do you mean by "rubber"?

if you mean pull the pistons, yeah probably.

best bet is drop it off at the machine shop. that way they wont mix the pistons/rods/caps up etc. they can tell you if you need new rings / bores honed /etc. they can dip the block get everything cleaned up etc

I don;t follow you... How do the bores look? What did the bearings look like when you removed them? What did the backsides look like? What do you mean by "rubber"?
sry about that..the engine was built and ran very shortly due to low oil pressure..then taken out and stored... the couple of small thin black rubber pieces I found look like old oil pan gasket.... it all looks new still have cross hatch in the cylinders, had a friend that heard it running said all was great, but the oil pressure...didnt knock or spin any bearings..just light scratches in the bearings. I had the crank turned and have new bearings... ...just wondering if anyone has had any luck just putting in crank and bearings without going through the whole engine...

I think for peace of mind I'd stick rings in it too. That way I know the same clown that messed up the lower end didn't mess up the top end. Scores in the bearings mean dirt in the new ioling system, and probably dirt in the cylinder walls beating up the rings. Now's the time to do that. But aside from rings, it's probably fine. Repairing the lower end is a viable process. Also - if you didn't measure the old crank and bearings to make sure they were the cause of it, you may want to measure the lifter bores to and make sure there's not a problem with wear there causing low oil pressure.

-
Back