To Restore or Not Hardware

-

4mopwr

Reaction score
What do you Guys do with hardware when doing a restoration, just buy new or do you have a clean up or refinish method? how about for Hood/Door latches and strikers? paint them or plating?

Not for a concourse restore, just looking for nice detail and originality.

Last edited:
Currently working on a Alternator. That's what I consider restoration. Otherwise your just a parts changer. What satisfaction you get out of that? :rolleyes:

20161219_120655.jpg

Not sure exactly what areas (if not all) you are talking about. For the motor, I always use ARP bolts/studs for the mains, rods & heads. I also use aftermarket bolts on the flexplate, conv & u-joints. Depending on the build, I use aftermarket on other parts as well. Then there is suspension, rearend, etc. Otherwise, if in good shape, I soak most of them in my chem-tool tank, give the heads a light blast in the cabinet (if necessary) and then chase the threads.

For all others, I reuse them unless they are too far gone. For hood, door latches, strikers, etc., or deoends on the level of restoration. I will plate everything that was plated from the factory. Many will just rattlecan or powder paint them.

These I did for the Cuda.
Hardware and latches. I used 50/50 mix of Muratic Acid/Water and then clear caliper paint on these.
Soaked them for a couple hours. They cleaned up pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough.
IMAG0523_zpsbdblzc3s.jpg

IMAG0530_zpsjelp8leh.jpg

IMAG0539_zpscsvxc1qu.jpg

Use caution and follow all safety precautions with the acid. Nasty stuff. Nasty fumes. Keep a pail of water/baking soda handy...
Fasteners I use the Acid/Water, Tumbler, Wire wheel... all depends on the degree of cleaning they need.
Depends on how bad they are, how good they clean up. Some I don't mess with and just replace.

Not sure exactly what areas (if not all) you are talking about. For the motor, I always use ARP bolts/studs for the mains, rods & heads. I also use aftermarket bolts on the flexplate, conv & u-joints. Depending on the build, I use aftermarket on other parts as well. Then there is suspension, rearend, etc. Otherwise, if in good shape, I soak most of them in my chem-tool tank, give the heads a light blast in the cabinet (if necessary) and then chase the threads.

For all others, I reuse them unless they are too far gone. For hood, door latches, strikers, etc., or deoends on the level of restoration. I will plate everything that was plated from the factory. Many will just rattlecan or powder paint them.
Mostly body and suspension hardware.
I also replace most on the engines.
The hardware I also blast, but doesn't always look the same as original, or if it does how do you preserve.

These I did for the Cuda.
Hardware and latches. I used 50/50 mix of Muratic Acid/Water and then clear caliper paint on these.
Soaked them for a couple hours. They cleaned up pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough.
View attachment 1715001686

View attachment 1715001687

View attachment 1715001688
Use caution and follow all safety precautions with the acid. Nasty stuff. Nasty fumes. Keep a pail of water/baking soda handy...
Fasteners I use the Acid/Water, Tumbler, Wire wheel... all depends on the degree of cleaning they need.
Depends on how bad they are, how good they clean up. Some I don't mess with and just replace.
These look pretty good. I haven't seen clear caliper Paint, who makes it?
Originally a lot of parts were cadmium or zinc plated, getting hard to find places to do this anymore, especially in Illinois.

I media blasted everything for my car. Then wash with laquer thinner and paint as required. Many parts I powder coated after blasting. Depends if heat would effect the part and if it would fit in oven. Just how I did it, not going for factory look.

I have a bench grinder with a wire wheel and I have an assortment of drill mounted wire wheels. I wire wheel the parts the best I can,I hold them with a degreased set of pliers,spray them off with brake cleaner,demoisturize them with a propane torch,let it cool some and hit it with primer . I use bungee straps and my garage door track to hang them. I use a piece of cardboard for doing bolts. I poke holes through it and screw them in,hit them with brake cleaner (let it evaporate),then demoisturize them with the torch and hit them with a light coat/dusting of primer. I did all of my black metal brackets and pullies this way,see engine pics. I let mother nature help with the curing when it's 70 + outside and hang them from a plant hanger and leave them for a few days. I used one of those long portable clothing racks when I lived in an apartment.

Picture 1377.jpg

Picture 1378.jpg

Picture 3329.jpg

I tried clear coating a cast master cylinder once and the brake fluid seeped into the metal and ruined it. I assume it will do tha same to calipers.

I launched a bolt into the bench wall once doing it his way. I use a pair of Channellocks now. That flying bolt can cause some serious personal damage.

de rust with evaporust,wire wheel or blast.
..for bare metal that is too shiny heat with a propane torch and quench at the color you want.
Any thing bare is coated with RPM or paint with the appropriate color spray bomb.
i think you can get a close cosmoline match by experimenting ...warm a wax seal and diesel oil
or try different shades of gold and satin clear coat if you're fussy

-
Back