to sandblast the a-arms/k-member and stuff or no?

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
well i got the engine dropped in the 76 so i am pretty happy. still need to get the torsion bars completely out but i'll work on that.

so my plan is to replace all the bushings, etc brake pads, and rotors with new stuff before doing the /6 to V8 swap. i was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea to get everything sandblasted and maybe give it a few coats of primer and some black paint. i'm not doing a rsto or anything but thought it might be a good idea to get everything cleaned up and a little more presentable and hopefully protect it a bit while i am it. of course i am in new england so if all this work would basically be for nothing in a year anyway, i'll prob just do a good pressure wash or something and replace those items and then finish the swap.

last question - are the V8 torsion bars that much stronger than the v6's?

My car had the heavy duty \6 suspension which gave it the .850 lity duty v8 bars. Even these bars were woefully inadequate (car bottomed over even mild dips in the road) with the \6.

When I did the v8 swap I went with big Block bars (.890), these give a nice firm but not harsh ride and with a 1.125" sway bar the car corners flat and responds sharply.

IMHO you have no choice but to change the bars if you plan to drive the car on the streets.

I would never put a new motor in a car without cleaning and painting everything first. I understand that in your area salt takes it's toll on everything but in my mind that is all the more reason to go the extra mile. Besides that, there is always the pleasure of opening your hood to display your craftsmanship and attention to detail. A well detailed engine bay can make even a beater look like you care. I saw a sticker on a car window at a show once that said "Cleanliness is next to Rodliness". That about sums it up for me.

If you can get the parts dipped in a hot tank rather than sand blasted then you might want to go that way. The sand tends to get everywhere and is hard to clean out.

-
Back