To Sell or Part Out my 68 Formula S Barracuda?

-
k... if you are going LED headlights.. i change my mind... part it out instead :) So tired of being blinded by them and they don't offer better vision at night...
So maybe no LEDS as I think they are tough on opposing drivers. I’ll pump up the alternator and find better halos. Thanks for the advice

Awesome so you and the other awesome members have guided me in the right direction. I’ll do the interior and put in some modern electronics, keep it mechanically sound, finish putting the badges in place, put some awesome LED headlights for good night vision and leave the body as is, this on some acorns for that classic look and drive the piss out of it as this car is so fun to drive. When I drive it in the ground it will be time to part or find a new owner at the “fair” market price. Love these Cudas and the folks who love and respect them!!!
This is such a cool site!!!
You bet and we've heard it all. Your cynicism and I'll fix you all attitude is cool as well. :lol:

So maybe no LEDS as I think they are tough on opposing drivers. I’ll pump up the alternator and find better halos. Thanks for the advice

It's your car, do as you want :) I just want to kill every escalade and new wrangler owner.. the lights are insane

You'll fit right in here. You took a beating and still thanked us! lol .
Look into adding the relay upgrade. It will brighten those headlights more.
I did what's in this thread. Big difference.
LED Headlights

Shipping costs are terrible, they will really take out your profit margin.

You'll fit right in here. You took a beating and still thanked us! lol .
Look into adding the relay upgrade. It will brighten those headlights more.
I did what's in this thread. Big difference.
LED Headlights

I did the glass 7” H4 E-code conversion in 2006 with a relay setup. HUGE difference over stock style and made driving at night much easier. Bought them from “Daniel Stern Lighting”.

244_4433_s.jpg

244_4435_s.jpg

248_4879.JPG

Last edited:
I did the glass 7” H4 E-code conversion about 20 years ago and a relay setup. HUGE difference over stock style and made driving at night much easier. Bought them from “Daniel Stern Lighting”.
Hey thank you very much. So excited to drive at night and avoid the deer with confidence!

Thats what I said back in Missouri, the last time I toped a hill and wiped out that deer and the truck! Wish I had them damned bright lights. So I could have seen the wreck!!!!

There's a reason when I have to make an all day drip and prey I get back before DARK!!! Because I am old and those modern damned lights blind the living c*** out of me!!!! Two lane blacktop, narrow road, pulling a trailer and those LIGHTS!!!! :thumbsup:

Parting out a rust bomb can be pretty profitable, however this barracuda is awesome. Please DON'T part this one. This car will be someone's treasure.

I say keep it and love it ,,,,,,,or sell it.
If you actually think selling off some parts you bought and can make a $ on is smart, do that and have a car to sell missing all those parts!! IMHO

My favorite price guide says it should be in #2 condition for 35K-

1968 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA FORM_S 340-275hp (8cyl-4V) AT
#4#3#2#1
2dr Cnv18000327004700067500
2dr Fstbk14000245003500053000
2dr Htp13000230003300050000

Add:
383-300hp (8cyl-4V)15%
4spd manual trans10%
Air conditioning10%
Deduct:
Manual steering-3%
So, what condition would this car be?

with only two photos to go by, probably 3

i see a few things right out of the gate that nit-picky buyers would be hemming and hawing about. but going off the description and those two pics, it's solidly a high teens-low 20's car. i could see it pushing mid to high 20's depending on a few factors and maybe some spit and polish, but i don't think it breaks 30.

#1 the day it arrived at the dealer, #2 a few days off the lot. #3 is pretty broad, but a clean driver with appropriate wear would be my take on it. Probably a lot of judgement goes into making the distinctions when it is a 1 vs 2, or 2 vs 3, or 3 vs a 4. #5 is a parts car... this is the way it was explained to me many years ago. Most clean cars you see at a local show are #3, at best a #2. #1 is pretty hard to reach, and not a car anyone drives.

My understanding is that a number one basically does not exist.
It is a 95 plus "point" show car that never gets driven besides to shows.
Has date correct heater hoses, and things like that.
Either a 100% low mileage original or a high dollar "everything correct per the factory" restoration.

Number two is basically a nice show car, or a high dollar, extremely nice and only occasionally driven street car.

Most cars that change hands between hobbyists are number three.
Running and driving, almost 100% complete, but perhaps missing a hard to find, not reproduced part.
Nice paint, no evidence of body work, but some may be present.

Number four is basically complete but in need of work, or restoration.
May or may not run.

The former incarnation of that price guide used to have number five, which would be a parts car.

-
Back