to shim or not to shim?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Modern disk brakes on a Caravan. All the pads come with MLS shims now to "reduce noise". I've found they tend to move out of position over time so Im ditching mine in the back and applying the orange "squeak stop" rtv like stuff in place of the shims. This is the 2nd time I have checked the rears as the wife insists that the rotors or pads are gone, very squeaky but they look new to me, 7mm of pad left with a full 3mm to the wear indicator. Rotor is smooth no ridges marks, etc. No raised rust lip to contact anything (been there) I was ready to pull the trigger on 2 new rotors!
9fd1c867-0232-4904-baa9-15ef90b81ec6.4e3bb050dd81cd6ed2b4ebafa6087c6f.jpg

I also use the spray that goes on the rotor. Its kind of a 'lap' compound. They make a spray version that goes on the back of the pad as well.

Poor man style.....just use RTV

Modern disk brakes on a Caravan. All the pads come with MLS shims now to "reduce noise". I've found they tend to move out of position over time so Im ditching mine in the back and applying the orange "squeak stop" rtv like stuff in place of the shims. This is the 2nd time I have checked the rears as the wife insists that the rotors or pads are gone, very squeaky but they look new to me, 7mm of pad left with a full 3mm to the wear indicator. Rotor is smooth no ridges marks, etc. No raised rust lip to contact anything (been there) I was ready to pull the trigger on 2 new rotors!
View attachment 1715827106
I remember when I worked for Goodyear/ L & M Tire Company they had a bulletin to not use brake quiet anymore and to use anti-seize with a brush.

View attachment 1715827106

So sorry! Caravan?

Early "A's" never had this issue! Have you gone the wrong way?

That orange stuff hit the spot, no more squeaks! Its sort of a thin red RTV as far as I can tell. Just puts a rubbery barrier between the pads and the caliper so when they vibrate, it doesn't get transmitted to the caliper. I'm sure the glued on shims did the same thing when they are new but these moved, metal on metal.

how long did that stuff take to setup before you could assemble?

Truth be told I use that (Brake Quiet)and assemble asap.
Now that is when I was working at a shop and time to complete a job was essential .
Never a problem.

The pads still slid, in and out, the caliper still did its thing. The only thing this did was to glue (not sure of thats the correct term) the pad to the piston or the back of the single piston caliper. Its only on the red portions of the caliper. They dont move in the caliper as the slider clips hold the pads pretty tight.
caliper.png

-
Back