To the Hawaii members on here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know a little more about what it is like living in Hawaii. My wife has been offered a position there on the mainland with her company and we are thinking about taking it. Don't know how we would get all our stuff there but just wanted to here it from some members. What is the weather like, people, cost of living and such. Thanks

Cost of living is outrageous, and if by mainland...you mean Oahu, it's a small island with a big city plopped onto it. About 5 million people live on an island the size of the county I live in. The tap water is horrible. The true locals hate anybody who isn't, and you'd best not venture too far out of the tourist areas. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. My ex wife moved to Maui for a year after we split, to teach at a high school. She says she feels fortunate to have survived work that year. Hawaii is beautiful, but I'll just keep being an Appalachian American! :p

It has been 10 or so years since I lived there and 3 or so since I was back to visit.

It is crowded, hostile (especially towards whites), and expensive. The culture will drive you crazy if you dislike "stupid on purpose" type behavior. Lots of crime and welfare/EBT types. Good Jobs are scarce and if you find one with locals as coworkers be prepared to do all of the work.

Now, all of that said, you can make the best of it and enjoy yourself. I met a few good friends there that I still keep in touch with. If you and your wife are the objective and adventurous types it is a great experience. If you have kids, especially white kids,.....no f'in way would I even consider it as an option.

I was offered a District manager job with Kragen auto parts now O'riely. My friend Scott, was managing the stores in Hawaii from San Diego, his area included the Islands! He told me the big problem with workers there is Crystal Meth. Theft is rampant. He would have to fly to Hawaii at the spur of the moment because the store manager would clean out the store overnight and never be seen again. NOT uncommon! I passed!

What company, if you don't mind my asking?

My wife is in management. It would be the Prince Kuhio Plaza
111 East Puainako Street, Hilo, HI 96720
You probably know where that is. From what I have read and what you guys have told me, better keep my *** here in Kentucky. Not to mention the cost of getting 4 cars, 2 trucks, 3 trailers and that isn't touching the household furnishings there. I would like to visit there sometime though. Thanks for the replies. Bill

My wife is in management. It would be the Prince Kuhio Plaza
111 East Puainako Street, Hilo, HI 96720
You probably know where that is. From what I have read and what you guys have told me, better keep my *** here in Kentucky. Not to mention the cost of getting 4 cars, 2 trucks, 3 trailers and that isn't touching the household furnishings there. I would like to visit there sometime though. Thanks for the replies. Bill

Well there you go, Hilo is on the big Island and is a far cry from all the things previously mentioned, real or imagined. The big island is truly huge and a magnificent place. Same island as Pele, the most active volcano in the world. Weather in Hilo is wet a lot, as are most windward sides of the islands. The big island is home to Parker Ranch, at a quarter million acres, it spreads across no less than five climate zones.
On Oahu, where I am, housing is by far the biggest expense you'll encounter. Not so on the big island, land is cheap and plentiful, but because of the relative remoteness of it, goods and services tend to be higher (extra shipping costs). There's a vibrant car scene there and by and large the people are absolutely great.
On the opposite side of the island there's Kona, some of the best deep sea fishing in the world, and the color of the ocean there is breathtaking.
My advise is keep an open mind and take the skepticism in the previous posts with a grain of salt, I've been living it here in Honolulu for over 30 years, it's a city with city problems just like many other places. There's city, there's country, and just like everywhere else, they're two different animals.
And just to clarify, Oahu has only 1.3 million population, and being stationed here while doing military service does not qualify someone as a resident.
Hope that helps a little, Bill
aloha- Pauly

I lived on Oahu for five years while stationed there lived off post in Makakilo. Had a lot of Mopar buddies on the dry side. I had no issues. Same as any other big city. Mike Sitman, Steve Sawsaki and some others are some of the Mopar guys I remember. My ex-wife graduated from UH she had no issues either. Still have friends there that live in Kapoli. It is what you make of it! Big island is the country lots to see. I liked all the islands. I'm as about as haoli as it gets blond hair and blue eyes. I don't know how living there for five years doesn't make me a resident. I used to race at the Track quite a bit. I heard its gone now. Is that true Pauly?

I lived on Oahu for five years while stationed there lived off post in Makakilo. Had a lot of Mopar buddies on the dry side. I had no issues. Same as any other big city. Mike Sitman, Steve Sawsaki and some others are some of the Mopar guys I remember. My ex-wife graduated from UH she had no issues either. Still have friends there that live in Kapoli. It is what you make of it! Big island is the country lots to see. I liked all the islands. I'm as about as haoli as it gets blond hair and blue eyes. I don't know how living there for five years doesn't make me a resident. I used to race at the Track quite a bit. I heard its gone now. Is that true Pauly?

Sadly yes, funny thing is that all the other islands still have active tracks except maybe molokai, not sure on that one.

Big Island? That is a whole other story! Could be a great adventure. What part of KY? Both sides of my family are from North Central (Boone County)

Sorry if my comments were offensive Pauly. I am basing them off my personal observations from being a civilian resident, employee, and student on Oahu. We lived up at the top of Aiea Heights drive by the entrance to the park. Beautiful place and great neighbors.

The thing about moving around every few years is you get to compare and evaluate different places to each other. After 30yrs on Oahu what you perceive as "normal" can be entirely different than the rest of the country.

Big Island? That is a whole other story! Could be a great adventure. What part of KY? Both sides of my family are from North Central (Boone County)

Sorry if my comments were offensive Pauly. I am basing them off my personal observations from being a civilian resident, employee, and student on Oahu. We lived up at the top of Aiea Heights drive by the entrance to the park. Beautiful place and great neighbors.

The thing about moving around every few years is you get to compare and evaluate different places to each other. After 30yrs on Oahu what you perceive as "normal" can be entirely different than the rest of the country.

thanks for the info. We live just one county south of Boone county. My wife works in Boone county. Florence, Ky. This will have to be thought out very carefully. Like I mentioned earlier. Getting all of my vehicles and trailers and household items would be very expensive. Probably take 3-4 containers to do that. So we will have to take a very hard look at this. At least there are some Mopar guys there. Thanks

Im born and bred local Hawaiian, 44 years. Here is how it really is. Hawaii is the biggest melting pot of all the 50 states. We have every ethnicity living here, so racism is pointless but there will always be bad eggs. Name one state where there is none? Violence, per capita, is very low. Shootings extremely rare. Weather here, all year between 72-80 but can get real humid at times. Big Island does have VOG at times, due to the volcano. I never notice but if you have respiratory problems it might bother you at times. Nothing major though. We have no seasons. Might get into the 60s during the winter, high 80s in summer, but only sometimes. Oahu is like a mini LA, SF, NYC etc. Hilo is on the Big Island and more like a southern state or mid west, plus volcanos. The Big Island has huge cattle ranches, hunting, tons of open spaces, no traffic, and very laid back. Lots of beautiful cars on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island. Lots of car shows, 2 or 3 a month on Oahu. We only have tracks on Maui, Kauai, and Big Island now. Oahu's has closed(land value to high). Cost of living is high, but its because of all the people who move here. Supply and demand. Who doesn't want to live in paradise? No locals can afford to live in anything that has been built in the last 20 years unless they are making a minimum of 100K a year, to live in a small place. Average rent for a 2 bedroom house on Oahu, no utilities, in decent neighborhood, $2300 a month. Yup, you can get a mansion for that in a lot of states, but thats what happens when billionaires start buying up all the land and push out the locals. Hence a bit of attitude at times towards non locals by locals, who are may be homeless(which are everywhere) or have family/friends that are. BUT, if you are a decent person, you will have friends for life here in no time. You stuck on the side of the freeway, you'll have strangers helping you out. You need to borrow something, no problem. Ride to and from airport, people would be mad if you didn't ask. Huge family vibe out here, even more so on the Big Island. Oahu is crazy since all the jobs, majority of tourism, and big city is here. Hours of traffic if you don't plan it out, but on Big Island just miles of open road. Im Japanese, Chinese, Portugese, German, Irish, and Hawaiian. Thats pretty much the norm out here, which means some of the best food you will find anywhere. You want Japanese, we have tons. Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Italian, French, Soul Food, you name it we got it. And its all legit, not like some of the stuff Ive had on the mainland. You guys got us beat on Mexican though, were not perfect. Hard to find a great Southern style meal too, but we have a few and do our best. We also have a major base for Marines, Navy, Army, and Air Force on Oahu so tons of military families here too and a lot choose to stay after they get out. Bottom line, if it was so bad, we wouldn't have a problem with so many people moving here every year and the continuing rising cost of living? I have to travel(work) to the mainland(continental US) 8-10 times a year and have traveled to Japan, Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico and would never move from Hawaii. Nothing comes close. Shipping parts here does suck though, LONG LIVE AMAZON PRIME!

-
Back