To transbrake or not

-

gumper

Reaction score
Finally after 10 race seasons Im going to pull and rebuild/replace my trusty and faithful mild built 727. I am at a place of question though. Should I spend the money on a transbrake valve body? The setup is a Duster with a 408, converter from Cope that flashes to 4500, Caltracs everything, 28x9 M/T slicks, 1.58-1.68 60' (depending on the track conditions and elevation), running mid 11s on the 1/4. Surprisingly I am leaning toward 'no' even though Im a competitive non electronics racer. Here's why:

1) I have set up front a rear line locks with a two step from the Mallory box and a button just like a transbrake car. Only drawback is my launch rpm is limited by brake holding power. Typically it's set at 2700.

2) More drivetrain abuse from the sudden shock compared to a preloaded launch. I'm still running the factory 8 3/4 axle shafts that I'm sure wouldn't live long behind a T-brake along with other parts. Moser shafts are on my to-do list, but I'd also swap bolt patterns at the same time which means new wheels as well.

3-5) Money money money

Do you guys think I'd gain any real performance over launching off the converter? With the system I have now Im consistantly hitting .010-.030 reactions with an occasional double 0 when I'm on the game. At the Divion 6 finals last weekend I won rounds every day, and made the finals Sunday (12 round wins that weekend, 7 Sunday losing to a guy who ran dead on the dial with a matching .013 light to my breakout). Plus I'm first in points at the local track going into the last race. Winning that would give me my second no-electronics/Pro championship in a row. I'd say the setup is working well as is.

So either talk me into the trans brake, or out of it.

in your situation I would say no...freshen the trans maybe some other upgrades to it and good axles...

Two championships and you need a trans brake? I would say if it aint broke don't fix it.
BTW, congratulations on number two

Question is if I should rebuild it myself, find someone to do it, or buy a whole new one from one of the known builders. I've never done a 727. Any special tools required?

I haven't done a trans period. I have a 904 I'm going to attempt to rebuild. :pale:

Not sure on the tools.

Question is if I should rebuild it myself, find someone to do it, or buy a whole new one from one of the known builders. I've never done a 727. Any special tools required?

727 are pretty easy to rebuild...i know some ONE who has a great video from ATSG.....

He usually will make ya a copy and send it to you for FREE......

I've found that going thru a t-flite takes a bit of a touch or feel. Installing a clutch piston with new seals for example. Or getting the clutch packs on to the splines. Just saying

being good at bracket racing takes a lot of skill and knowing your hotrod. you have both of them down to a science why screw that up with have to start all over with the leaning curve? so my recommendation is NO NO NO NO NO DON'T DO IT, stay with the foot brake.

-
Back