to use a hood or not?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
supercharged bb. fender well type headers ceramic coated inside and out, currently without running a hood it doesnt over heat, will running a hood with it cut out for the supercharger make it run hot?

Impossible to say, but note that by running without a hood, the fan is not necessarily effective at pulling air through the radiator — the air can much more easily just go over the top. The hood will tend to trap ambient heat, so the question is can the water pump and radiator remove heat fast enough? The supercharger itself will still be up in the airstream, and the fenderwell openings will provide a certain amount of exit capacity for hot air once the hood is in place. The only way to know would be to test it, perhaps with a jerry-rigged plywood hood.

Impossible to say, but note that by running without a hood, the fan is not necessarily effective at pulling air through the radiator — the air can much more easily just go over the top. The hood will tend to trap ambient heat, so the question is can the water pump and radiator remove heat fast enough? The supercharger itself will still be up in the airstream, and the fenderwell openings will provide a certain amount of exit capacity for hot air once the hood is in place. The only way to know would be to test it, perhaps with a jerry-rigged plywood hood.
kinda what i was thinking..plus the hole in the hood may help to let heat out...

To run a car without a hood here is not legal.
I’d run the hood and make use of Louvers on both sides of the hood.

I have a big block, fenderwell headers, and a tunnel ram. Similar and wasn't using a hood. I found it never got hot without the hood. It did get warmer (compared to with a hood) at a stop in traffic when hot outside. I have no heater core and did find the windshield doesn't fog on cool days like with the hood on. I put a hood and huge scoop to be more weather conscious for a long road trip weekend to MITP. Not sure that answered anything, but a couple observations.

I had a 78 vette, all stock and it would run really warm, like almost overheating warm.
I added a roots supercharger and cut a hole in the hood. The engine temps dropped at least 40 degrees.
I guess the hole in the hood was acting as a draw for the radiator, and a heat release.

-
Back