To whom it may concern. :-)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I got my third custom temp gauge in this last weekend (slightly embarrassing story which some of you already know) with the custom LED lighting in it and working like it should.
I disconnected the battery and duct taped the positive terminal, and used wire loom insulation on the first 24 inches off the back of the mechanical gauges so they couldn't come in contact with anything.
Then got help to feed it all through the firewall while I fitted the cluster back in.
I was almost surprised I didn't trip over something and break the new gauge somehow, as it seemed the only way left I could have broken the new one again. :D

Replaced the old and yellowed speedometer lens with a new piece of crystal clear lexan.
(White speedo face didn't like the old yellowed lens much :D)

Replaced and rewired the door jamb switches so the LED dome light works with both doors like it should, and rewired the map light switch to also make the dome light come on instead of being on the headlight switch.

Then took the car out for dinner and a test drive Saturday night.

Monday morning and all ready to go.

Got your lucky rabbit's foot with you? :D

No. I burned that up when it contacted the disconnected positive battery post with the second gauge. :D

I told the whole story to another member at a car show, and how it was an either start screaming obscenities and throwing tools or just laugh and deal with it (again)

1st one died after two years.
2nd one the capillary flipped over while installing the cluster and contacted the disconnected but exposed post.
3rd one the capillary touched the top of the fuse block after everything was all back together.
4th one I didn't blow up because I took a bunch of precautions. :D

Are you gonna post some pictures both day and night?

Night pics I think would be over run with the camera flash and you wouldn't be able to see the actual lighting color, but this is a pic of the cluster lit on the work bench with the old speedo lens and I can post a daytime pic in a little bit here.

These are unlit and lit and yes it's that bright on full brightness.
I wanted high contrast.

Attachments

• clusterunlit.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 188
  • clusterlit.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 181
Here's the daytime pics with no lights on, because during the day you can't really tell if they are or not.
The interior light is the same LED's as the dash, but the camera didn't catch the suttle bluish tint of it.

That is also the flat black foam roller job on the headliner.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 177
  • light.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 147
Nice of you to take your car out to dinner after all that!

What? You didn't break this one???

Something is off somewhere in the world to compensate for this going well....

Congrats on the "good" install.

Looks great!

Now don't blow this one....

Turn the flash off. :violent1:

That makes the lighting all messed up when it's dark.
I could try it though and see what happens.

Nice of you to take your car out to dinner after all that!

No, no, it took me out to dinner. :D

What? You didn't break this one???

Something is off somewhere in the world to compensate for this going well....

Congrats on the "good" install.

Looks great!

Now don't blow this one....

I know, right?
Now watch it quit showing the temp in a week, and if it does you may hear me from there. :D (or even have a new tool or two land in your yard.)

Personally don't care for white backgrounds, but I sure like "the rest of it."

Yeeeeehhhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeecccccchhhhhzzzzzzzzzffffpppphffffffttttt

I've let the smoke out of a few things, here and there

That makes the lighting all messed up when it's dark.
I could try it though and see what happens.

No, no, it took me out to dinner. :D

I know, right?
Now watch it quit showing the temp in a week, and if it does you may hear me from there. :D (or even have a new tool or two land in your yard.)

I'll open up a factory and sell them to just you.... :D

I'll open up a factory and sell them to just you.... :D

They come as a three gauge set, so we could start and oil and volt gauge store. :D
If anyone needs a 1.5 inch volt or mechanical oil pressure gauges I have a few extras.

Just gotta hold the camera still longer and let it do it's thing. The lens stays open longer without the flash.

Almost got that one by me, since I'm doing so many things at once here.

Digital camera's don't work that way. :D

-
Back