Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, once again, you left out the 360, which was produced from 71 till 93, far outpacing the number of 340s out there. A REAL budget hotrodder is gonna choose the equally cheap 360 core...not a 318. It's a skewed argument, with unrealistic limitations on what's available in ANY wrecking yard.
Of course, and this was said from the get go (by me and a hundred other posters...) and the reason "why". A 300 dollar 360 and 2700 to throw into it kicks the living snot out a 1500 dollar 340 with 1500 to put into it. Is that light to a dark world?????? Now, when you bring in the 318, it's a new discussion. I cannot figure for the life of me why this is hard to understand.....

I, for the love of me, cannot understand what is so hard to understand about how easy this is to understand. It's simply stating that we've have reached a point in MOPAR history that to buy and build a motor, 3k may not be enough to make the 340 faster than the 318 these days. It's not hate, it's not trick play, is a turning point in our Mopar History. Enuff said... Good Grief !!!! LOL :D :D :D

Of course, and this was said from the get go (by me and a hundred other posters...) and the reason "why". A 300 dollar 360 and 2700 to throw into it kicks the living snot out a 1500 dollar 340 with 1500 to put into it. Is that light to a dark world?????? Now, when you bring in the 318, it's a new discussion. I cannot figure for the life of me why this is hard to understand.....

Cause they hate the 318.

I just watched that Nicks dyno run of a 340, he hit 340 Crank horsepower at 5900 rpm...
Not bad, they said the heads had "mild porting".

Last edited:
I just watched that Nicks dyno run of a 340, he hit 340 Crank horsepower at 5900 rpm...
was that a stock rebuild ? waiting for the next 340 he builds and tests 340 sounds low for a good 340

was that a stock rebuild ? waiting for the next 340 he builds and tests 340 sounds low for a good 340
That's about right, it takes a little more than most think to get 400 HP out of a 340.
The 340 was pretty much optimized from the factory.

I also look at at UTG and Lunar outlaws 318, it did 240 Crank Horsepower. So for the purpose of this thread, 3 grand, having to "do all the work" on a 318, where will it end up? Hopefully at least making 340 hp or more right? If the 340 hp numbers can be met or exceeded with three grand then yes the 318 is the bang for the buck. On the other hand if you can find a good 340 for 3 grand or less you already have a good starting point

I also look at at UTG and Lunar outlaws 318, it did 240 Crank Horsepower. So for the purpose of this thread, 3 grand, having to "do all the work" on a 318, where will it end up? Hopefully at least making 340 hp or more right? If the 340 hp numbers can be met or exceeded with three grand then yes the 318 is the bang for the buck. On the other hand if you can find a good 340 for 3 grand or less you already have a good starting point

Again Nick should have yanked that turd 318 off his stand. It was not worth the gas money to drive it up to Nick's Garage.

But if you could BUY a $7000 450 HP 340 for $3000 you win hands down. But that is not "Fair Market" and would be called a RINGER. I'd bet I could build a 318 block with $10,000 of parts and time then sell it to 318willrun for $2999... RINGER.

I will be pulling a LA 318 roller motor out of our truck here in the future. Somewhere something will be done with it...... I have a 318 mag on the stand as well.... I have a duster that I haven't started in about 9 months.... I wonder what kind of screamer I could make out of one of them.... I have 360 heads... I have magnum heads..... I have intakes, including a dual quad intake, RPM, chinese, Stealth.... Hmmmm......

So 318WR when ya get tired of beating your head on the wall and build that 440 I know you got laying around, throw this manifold on and let the confusion and controversy begin. Every time I lift hood off at a car show invariably 1/2 the people call it an LS. Arghhhh. Since this thread went in the ditch about a million pages ago I figured WTF post the 440! Thirty pages and still going, classic! The original premise seemed so straight forward!

F2E668E2-CD6B-4192-86CD-F6DFA2D6C603.jpeg

So 318WR when ya get tired of beating your head on the wall and build that 440 I know you got laying around, throw this manifold on and let the confusion and controversy begin. Every time I lift hood off at a car show invariably 1/2 the people call it an LS. Arghhhh. Since this thread went in the ditch about a million pages ago I figured WTF post the 440! Thirty pages and still going, classic! The original premise seemed so straight forward!

View attachment 1715778547
Is that a 6.0 ????

:poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back