Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what I'm seeing is, the 318 guys are drifting over to the 5.2 magnum as the base for their build? I guess that's ok, but its like calling a Ford 5.0 a 302...there are distinct differences and horsepower ratings between, say a 71 maverick with a 302, and an 88 mustang GT with a 5.0 HO engine.

So what are you trying to say? We caint include the Magnum now?

Ok I'll go along with the better ring package. That for sure is a plus. The EFI thing a maybe, because carburetors aren't dead......yet. Some people still run um. Machining more accurate? I've never seen any evidence of it, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I just mentioned the EFI because it is a lot of the reason you see these things with pristine bores, making them a excellent choice for a budget 318 build

I just mentioned the EFI because it is a lot of the reason you see these things with pristine bores, making them a excellent choice for a budget 318 build

I agree....I think it's two fold. The EFI sure helps plus all these new advanced oil additive packages don't hurt either.

So, what I'm seeing is, the 318 guys are drifting over to the 5.2 magnum as the base for their build? I guess that's ok, but its like calling a Ford 5.0 a 302...there are distinct differences and horsepower ratings between, say a 71 maverick with a 302, and an 88 mustang GT with a 5.0 HO engine.
It's just the evolution of the same basic package, you get all the benefits of a design improved through the years....

It's just the evolution of the same basic package, you get all the benefits of a design improved through the years....
Yes that's the same thing Ford did with the Windsor. They figured out how to make horsepower while being emissions compliant. When I think of the LA 318 I think 235 Horsepower, restrictive heads, restrictive exhaust and 2 barrel carb. The Magnum is a different thought all together, it already sounds like the heads are better for example, and that's a big step in the right direction as compared to an LA 318. yes the FI I believe runs cleaner, you dont see sludge in valve covers like a 70s carbed car.

I find it almost beyond belief Chrysler didn't go to a one piece rear main seal when they went to the Magnum.

I still have this little 1999 5.0 Ford GT40P engine I was gonna put in the RobKat. It had 175K on it with strong cross hatch and ZERO ridge.

I agree....I think it's two fold. The EFI sure helps plus all these new advanced oil additive packages don't hurt either.
When we pulled the heads off our 198,*** miles 5.9 we bought for cheap, the cross hatches were plainly visible, no ridge at the top of the cylinder either. As you both said, FI and better oils are major contributors, and so is the overdrives. Durango's, Dakota's, and Ram's go down the road at 1400-1500 RPM's at 55 mph instead of 2200 RPM's like a 1980 D150. 600 RPM's every minutes is 36,000 less revolutions in 1 hr of travel at 55 mph. In just a 40 hrs of traveling is way over a million less revolutions. Now think of how many more revolutions the LA turns behind a 727 in a 150,*** miles vs the 5.2 with OD.

1) machining of blocks more accurate
2) roller cam provision without retro-fit costs
3) cylinder bores hardly wear, due to efi
4) better piston and ring package
5) literally hundreds available in salvage yards
They are THE perfect platform for the budget builder, most of them can be refreshed with a ball hone and a bearing job, its difficult to find many LA 318s that dont need machine work anymore

That is it in a nutshell. Like RRR says we are talking about budget builds here.

That's it I'm sold I want a 5.9 magnum...:)
And a overdrive. With the right combination of LA 318's with 904's getting 20 mpg/hwy. I bet a 5.2 Magnum with a O/D could get close to 25 with the right rear gear and tire.

I think a 5.2 magnum with stock heads and a 380 crate motor cam will get you 340hp out of a 318 . Use magnum heads, big cam, headers and get a 4bbl intake

Why would you lose over 60 hp ? Factory there was only 10-20 hp difference depending on the year.

upload_2021-6-22_18-50-52-jpeg.jpg

And a overdrive. With the right combination of LA 318's with 904's getting 20 mpg/hwy. I bet a 5.2 Magnum with a O/D could get close to 25 with the right rear gear and tire.
Since ya put it that way... my 340 with 4 speed and 3:91 rear is a bit like driving a tractor...definitely a "light to light ' car LOL! The car is going back together but when I had it on the road, I could slow down, take a right turn and not have to shift out of 4th gear...I recall it would run 3000 RPM at 65 MPH with plenty of pedal, but its drinking gas at that point.

I was just throwing a number out there. The 5.2 magnums vs the la they have higher compression and another better flowing head. 340hp out of a 318 magnum isn't hard and no trick parts required. I would bet that the hot Rodded 5.2 magnum would make more hp per second than a equivalent hp 340

I was just throwing a number out there. The 5.2 magnums vs the la they have higher compression and another better flowing head. 340hp out of a 318 magnum isn't hard and no trick parts required. I would bet that the hot Rodded 5.2 magnum would make more hp per second than a equivalent hp 340
Yes that Magnum engine 52.or 5.9 sounds like best bang for the buck, coupled with the modern tech EFI, roller cam etc.

Since ya put it that way... my 340 with 4 speed and 3:91 rear is a bit like driving a tractor...definitely a "light to light ' car LOL! The car is going back together but when I had it on the road, I could slow down, take a right turn and not have to shift out of 4th gear...I recall it would run 3000 RPM at 65 MPH with plenty of pedal, but its drinking gas at that point.
It should run like a scalded dog! That sounds like fun but not built for 4 hour interstate trips @ 75 mph. :lol:

...and still smokeum on command.

Yes that Magnum engine 52.or 5.9 sounds like best bang for the buck, coupled with the modern tech EFI, roller cam etc.

As in stock long blocks 5.2l magnum definitely has ton advantage over LA 318 cures the two out of three main problems of the LA 318 decent CR and heads capable of 400 + hp instead of 300 + hp, third being bore size which is less of a deal especially under 400hp. So ya just a similar cam 4bbl and headers is gonna be a 100 hp difference between the two. You could always throw on a set of junkyard Magnum heads on a LA 318 and be basically in the same place.

As for 5.9 vs 360 stock the magnum has the CR advantage heads the 1.88 valved 360 has a slight disadvantage magnum 400 + hp possible 360 heads 375 ish especially with the lower cr. But if doing full build either is a good starting place.

5.2 magnum mileage? Here's a quote from one of our own: "It goes pretty well but it’s not geared right, it has an 8.25 with 2.71s which is a little tough on the clutch from a standstill. Incredible fuel mileage, I took it on a 13 hour road trip and it averaged 25 MPG. I have a set of 3.55s out of a 90s Dakota to put into it when I find a sure-grip. I am leaning towards a 5.9 but that balanced flywheel is out of the budget right now."

Here's the thread. Might be worth a read. Calling all 318 guys....318 vs 5.2 magnum, info needed please

So the cost of 340 blocks and factory heads as far is I can see is the cost difference. What's a rebuilds rebuildable 340 short block worth? Then add in 340 X or J heads.

So just the 340 short block is a considerable amount. Dollar for dollar I think 318 has it.

We have a 69 or so 340 with X heads sitting here someone took out of a dart or cuda and stuck in a 72 d100 pickup. In that situation the 340 wins depending on core shift. Or search for a plentiful supply of 5.2 blocks without a lot of core shift. Possibilities are endless

...No doubt about it, The newer engines are better designed, machined, burn cleaner, wear less
and comparatively make more power. You young guys are lucky because you can install and enjoy
them.I do to a point and appreciate any well done build.
But...i am an older member and could never put one of those beer barrel things in my Dart
I only drive it occasionally and doubt if the stock 340 will wear out any time soon.I don't
race and it's fast enough to be fun!

...No doubt about it, The newer engines are better designed, machined, burn cleaner, wear less
and comparatively make more power. You young guys are lucky because you can install and enjoy
But...i am an older member and could never put one of those beer barrel things in my Dart
I only drive it occasionally and doubt if the stock 340 will wear out any time soon.I don't
You already have what many want. A 340. Rarely does the "beer barrel" air intake get used. Most just bolt on a intake and carb and roll with it. And yes, the Magnum's do have advantages!

Black Friday 40% off gets you a air gap magnum dual plane intake shipped to your front door for a whopp'n 135 bucks !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back