Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm pretty sure a junkyard 340 would take 14.5psi for a SHORT time also.
Now take a running junkyard 5.2 magnum get the rods and crank rebuilt probably hone the cylinders depending on core shift and a few other factors. Freshen up the heads . Then they run 14.5psi and live KRC back in the day done that along with a lot of other places. And the stayed together.

You don't have to spend money on a bunch of money on exotic parts to make a solid engine. But the stock parts need to be approved and within spec. You can make a 400hp 318 with stock rotating assembly that actually has a long life span.

How many street driven high 11 second 318’s do you see? I haven’t seen many. Apparently the 400 HP 318 is the new 500 HP 350 chevy. You make make it sound like a rebuilt core will make 400. Ain’t no way. Have you ever built a 400 HP anything.

How many street driven high 11 second 318’s do you see? I haven’t seen many. Apparently the 400 HP 318 is the new 500 HP 350 chevy. You make make it sound like a rebuilt core will make 400. Ain’t no way. Have you ever built a 400 HP anything.

Your making an argument for something no one is arguing for.

How many people with a 318 on this site are even asking to do a 12 seconds, most just want cam 4bbl maybe headers, some want the next step cr and some form of head work or better heads. Highly doubt that a lot of 318 owners on here are expecting faster than a 13 second car most would be happy with a 14 second car. Bet most 340/360 owner aren't even looking for 12's.

You don't think a set of aftermarket heads like speedmaster, eddies or even trick flows with 10.5:1 high lift 235 ish cam air gap 750 headers in a 0.030-0.060" over bored 318 with 3500-4500 + stall and 3.91-4.88 gears is gonna be a dud??? Yes a 340/360/408 built the same may be better but so would a 440-543 over that there's always someone gonna be better out there unless you have the best and fastest car out there?? Just cause you think it's stupid to give up some power by going 318 over 340/360 someone thinks it's dumb for even running a small block in the first place. A some will think it's dumb for running Mopar since Chev LS have all the goodies made for them etc..

And if you want to see high 11 second and faster 318's go on the Dakota forums. Or Australia they don't have a lot of 360 kicking around from what I hear.

Last edited:

It seems no one is to your level so we should all STFU? I am sorry this thread really is crushing your nads. Do you need a Binky.

Last edited:

Fiery arff!!!

It's a pretty well known fact stock magnum heads with some valve springs will support 400hp. With the smaller bore and port velocities on a 5.2 magnum those heads are capable of making 400hp on a 318. Just because it's not the norm doesn't mean it's not possible.

People that have no understanding of volumetric efficiencies are the ones that are talking out the wrong end. 65 cubic inch 4 cylinders are putting out close to 200hp out of the factory naturally aspirated.

Another one of those cheap fools acting like a high schooler and won't put a aluminum block hemi together. Keeps cobbling up those $8,000 small blocks

A 400 HP 318 would not be street friendly at all. Can a 400 HP 318 be built, yes but not by the average guy.
I'd be willing to bet most 340's and 360's on this forum aren't making 400.
FWIW my 383 powered 67 Fastback was running mid 11's at a buck 14 in 1980.
It was far from street friendly in race trim, it was my daily driver, I'd swap the cam and put on the slicks and go racing.
4.57 gear was good for the street and strip. lol

Here are some fun numbers
500÷350= 1.43 hp per ci
600÷418= 1.435 hp per ci
400÷318= 1.26 hp per ci
400÷340= 1.18 hp per ci
390÷345= 1.13 hp per ci

Factory v-8 engines have been making over a hp per ci for along time. And 600hp 418 stroker's have been verified. 390hp 345 Hemi's out of the factory in ram trucks

A 400 HP 318 would not be street friendly at all. Can a 400 HP 318 be built, yes but not by the average guy.
It was far from street friendly in race trim, it was my daily driver, I'd swap the cam and put on the slicks and go racing.

Just on the subject of 11 second street 318's...... Valiantracing right here on this site has an 11 second 318 Duster, no power adders (NOS or Boost), street car and races it in street form (or at least he did). I think he only had around .500 lift cam and edelbrock heads, ran off pump gas. I think he said it weighed around 3200 lbs ??? And yes, still stock stroke

Again, if you know what your doing and know how to tune.....
duster-318-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, more details.... 1970 318 short block; 650 Brawler carb, under .500 lift cam (that's right, under), eddy heads, RPM air gap intake, Crane gold rockers, 3200 stall and 4.30's. He was in and won my small block race I did two years in a row, using the deduction chart.

Here are some fun numbers
500÷350= 1.43 hp per ci
600÷418= 1.435 hp per ci
400÷318= 1.26 hp per ci
400÷340= 1.18 hp per ci
390÷345= 1.13 hp per ci

Factory v-8 engines have been making over a hp per ci for along time. And 600hp 418 stroker's have been verified. 390hp 345 Hemi's out of the factory in ram trucks

Part of the problem is we all have different ideas of what streetable is, for some as long as they take it to the local spot and back and lay a little rubber it's a street engine. To me .75-1:1 hp per cid (239-318 hp for a 318) can be a very streetable turn the key go anywhere without worry, 1-1.3:1 (318-413hp for a 318) is street strip built engine needing gears stall etc.. more of a weekend warrior, above that not saying it can't be driving on the street but were talking more race engine territory. Of course there's gonna be overlap and depends on how well or poorly these combos are put together gonna have an effect. But I notice a lot of people think cause it's takes money and aftermarket parts to make 1.2 hp per cid like 490 hp 408 or 432 hp 360 means the same for all engines a 273 or 318 would make 328 hp and 382 hp those engine gonna need a lot less air flow and can, be gotten out of production heads. Does it make sense to build a 2hp per cid 318 636hp vs a 1.24 hp per cid 511 no but some like the challenge how on here when build building a high hp stroker 340/360 and people say they should go big block and they say they want the challenge.

My 1984 Dodge Shelby Charger 0.059" (138ci) over Holley/Weber Carb was at 1.3 HP per Cube and I drove it on the street. Even commuted 84 miles round trip to work. Got 35-38 MPH in 5th @ 65 MPH. Mid 14's on a 138 CI FWD car. Had a 3.05:1 Ring and pinion.

That same engine with a ported TBI intake made to take a 465 CFM Holley and a Long tube was putting out 1.5 HP per cube. That header made the whole car shake with the 4 pulses till I put a 18 inch long 3 inch collector on it. High 13's in a FWD car squalking the tires in 3rd, 3.87:1 R&P. The only reason it did high 13's total lack of traction in 1st and 2nd gears.

Aww yeah the old 2.2's

Well I did a quick internet search 400hp 318 and behold one of the mopar magazines did a 400hp 318. The recipe kb pistons, comp 280h cam and magnum heads with a mopar performance dual plane intake 400hp at 6,200. Factory crank and rods stock magnum heads. I think for that combo there are better options then the chevy 280h grind though

5.3 LS has a 3.78 bore...... and like them or hate them, enough of them have run some very fast times......

If I was to say I'm gonna put a 5.3L LS in my car other than a Chev into a Mopar no one's gonna say 5.3 are junk only use 6.0L LS, but if I said I'm going with a 318 with edelbrock heads people would be your wasting your time can't make power or it's gonna be a race only engine, even though both engine should make about the same power since similar displacement and air flow.
Aww yeah the old 2.2's

Well I did a quick internet search 400hp 318 and behold one of the mopar magazines did a 400hp 318. The recipe kb pistons, comp 280h cam and magnum heads with a mopar performance dual plane intake 400hp at 6,200. Factory crank and rods stock magnum heads. I think for that combo there are better options then the chevy 280h grind though

There been 4 different magazine builds that made 400 hp none were all that complicated basically 220 cfm heads with 10:1 275-285 cam and headers pretty much the the same parts that you would use to make a 400 hp 340/360.

Here's 3 of them

318 Engine Build - A Parts Book 400HP 318 - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Chrysler 318 Engine - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

318 Small Block Build - How To - Hot Rod Magazine

Here's a 477 hp 318
Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Here's282 hp stock longblock with cam 4bbl headers
318 Long Block Bolt Ons - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

And here's a 12 second 318 build
318 Engine Buildup & Dyno Test - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Last edited:
Your making an argument for something no one is arguing for.

How many people with a 318 on this site are even asking to do a 12 seconds, most just want cam 4bbl maybe headers, some want the next step cr and some form of head work or better heads. Highly doubt that a lot of 318 owners on here are expecting faster than a 13 second car most would be happy with a 14 second car. Bet most 340/360 owner aren't even looking for 12's.

You don't think a set of aftermarket heads like speedmaster, eddies or even trick flows with 10.5:1 high lift 235 ish cam air gap 750 headers in a 0.030-0.060" over bored 318 with 3500-4500 + stall and 3.91-4.88 gears is gonna be a dud??? Yes a 340/360/408 built the same may be better but so would a 440-543 over that there's always someone gonna be better out there unless you have the best and fastest car out there?? Just cause you think it's stupid to give up some power by going 318 over 340/360 someone thinks it's dumb for even running a small block in the first place. A some will think it's dumb for running Mopar since Chev LS have all the goodies made for them etc..

And if you want to see high 11 second and faster 318's go on the Dakota forums. Or Australia they don't have a lot of 360 kicking around from what I hear.

I was arguing for nothing. Some clown was claiming the 400 horse 318 is a plentiful as French whores at a French ***** house. I’m saying they aren’t.

Edit: I forgot to mention in your above examples you blew the crap out of your 3k budget. And here is the issue with threads like this. A bunch of guys posting about stuff that is pie in the sky nonsense. But the OP is getting exactly what he wanted. He thinks he’s the pied piper but he’s really just blowing his own horn to a bad tune.

Last edited:

Seems all the folks in the FABO clique think you don’t get it either. Lots of silly little boys making foolish claims in mindless thread. But you know those 400 horse small blocks of every brand are everywhere.

Seems all the folks in the FABO clique think you don’t get it either. Lots of silly little boys making foolish claims in mindless thread. But you know those 400 horse small blocks of every brand are everywhere.

The rumor I heard (actually started) was that some top fuel teams and Hemi SS guys have been reading this thread and after seeing the capabilities, how easy and cheap it is to make power with the 318 are going to abandon their Hemi's. The plan is to hoard up all the 318 blocks for use in fuel and SS/AH cars. Most think they can make 11,000 HP for less than 10 grand.

Get'em while you can guys, they'll soon be gone! On the brighter side Hemi engines will now be dirt cheap. :rofl:

Fact are facts factory heads and bottom end are capable of making 400hp on a 318 that will live. And a $3000 budget is very realistic. Been done it works and most importantly they stay alive while doing it.

So stick that in your $10,000 Crack pipe and smoke it.

I was arguing for nothing. Some clown was claiming the 400 horse 318 is a plentiful as French whores at a French ***** house. I’m saying they aren’t.

Edit: I forgot to mention in your above examples you blew the crap out of your 3k budget. And here is the issue with threads like this. A bunch of guys posting about stuff that is pie in the sky nonsense. But the OP is getting exactly what he wanted. He thinks he’s the pied piper but he’s really just blowing his own horn to a bad tune.
nobody said 400hp 318's are plentiful except you in this post. they merely said it's not that hard, or as expensive as some would have us believe.

Can one build a 400hp 318 for $3k starting with a good running stock 318LA? From those magazine recipes linked above, it looks like it could require pistons, heads, rockers, cam/lifters, pushrods, intake - anything else?? $3,000 sure doesn't go as far as it used to.

Can one build a 400hp 318 for $3k starting with a good running stock 318LA? From those magazine recipes linked above, it looks like it could require pistons, heads, rockers, cam/lifters, pushrods, intake - anything else?? $3,000 sure doesn't go as far as it used to.
It's not that expensive. Can be done on a 5.2 magnum block with stock heads. Freshen up the stock crank and rods then freshen up the heads the. Add cam and intake. Easily a $3,000 budget and it will live

It's not that expensive. Can be done on a 5.2 magnum block with stock heads. Freshen up the stock crank and rods then freshen up the heads the. Add cam and intake. Easily a $3,000 budget and it will live

Maybe I just assumed, but I thought the premise of the original question about 4 million posts ago was a running LA 318 w/ $3,000 to spend vs a running LA 340 w/ $1,500 to spend. So now, we're allowing a 5.2, but not a 5.9? Why is the goal post moving?

Not one of the "anti's" (we won't call them haters) even acknowledged post 1082 or 1083. Hmmmm.... A live demonstration with video and build and not even an acknowledgement. Why? It doesn't fit their narrative... which is a sign of a closed minded person where blindness is due to partiality.
AGAIN.... 1970 318, under .500 lift, eddy heads, eddy rpm, 650 brawler..... 11's on pump gas and in street trim.

Not one of the "anti's" (we won't call them haters) even acknowledged post 1082 or 1083. Hmmmm.... A live demonstration with video and build and not even an acknowledgement. Why? It doesn't fit their narrative... which is a sign of a closed minded person where blindness is due to partiality.
AGAIN.... 1970 318, under .500 lift, eddy heads, eddy rpm, 650 brawler..... 11's on pump gas and in street trim.

You're right - that's a hell of a hotrod right there, but I'd be willing to bet he's got more than $3,000 in that 318. Either way, it's certainly a badass Mopar!

You're right - that's a hell of a hotrod right there, but I'd be willing to bet he's got more than $3,000 in that 318. Either way, it's certainly a badass Mopar!
well, it may be over 3k, but somebody a few pages back said "anyone know of a 11 second 318 street car...??" with sarcasm as if to say "it's what I thought". But all that aside, eddy heads, cam, intake and carb.... that is all within budget, especially if a guy went with Promaxx heads which are cheaper and maybe better ! Let's say we didn't over bore like perhaps the Duster above (don't know if he did), and lets say we only got 12.35. Are you beating that time buying and building a 340 at fair market value on 3k ??? Ahhhhh.... kind of my point.

well, it may be over 3k, but somebody a few pages back said "anyone know of a 11 second 318 street car...??" with sarcasm as if to say "it's what I thought". But all that aside, eddy heads, cam, intake and carb.... that is all within budget, especially if a guy went with Promaxx heads which are cheaper and maybe better ! Let's say we didn't over bore like perhaps the Duster above (don't know if he did), and lets say we only got 12.35. Are you beating that time buying a 340 at fair market value and building it on 3k ??? Ahhhhh.... kind of my point.

That's a good question. Let's eliminate "fair market value" and establish some actual quantifiable metrics. I thought for the 340, it was a "running 340 with $1500 left to spend." In that case, I'd bet a cam, lifters and head work may get it done. Or, maybe sell the stock heads to put towards a new set??? There are still some viable options available.

Either way, if $3,000 is truly your engine budget, you're probably not building a race car and will likely be happy with whatever you end up with. Isn't that ultimately the point?

Stroker kit 1500, block prep 700, Speedmaster heads on Black Friday 700 to the door, call Ken at Oregon cam grinding and grind you a cam for $79 from a core, getting pretty close...
I know nobody's talking stroker kit here but that would be a pretty easy route to get close to 3K and this is all new stuff for the most part...
Haters will hate..(or name call) like madscient... yellow ro... or I mean 448scamp..

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back