Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know I don't see why it's not possible... Those people on this forum that do have the tooling... I would say with that taken care of it could be quite easy...
That's what I said in my post, The average Joe will not build a 400 HP 318 for 3000.
I bet you had more in your 318 and it wasn't making 400 HP

So am I to understand I'm given a 318 brand new stock bore and a 340 brand new stock bore and I get an extra 3K to toss at the 318?...
Seems several members here on other threads claim "good running 318's are free", and they wish somebody would take them off their hands. Seems the going price for just a 340 block (known good) is about 800, and known good core long blocks are about 1500. So, I ask the question "with todays prices, is the 318 a faster engine on a 3k budget than a 340?". Basically, in the first post I listed the most complete core 340 I could find in my area and it was 1500 bucks. So, the free good running 318 2bbl and 3k vs a 1500 dollar 340 "good core minus intake/carb" AND 1500 to spend. Which engine wins the race ?

That's what I said in my post, The average Joe will not build a 400 HP 318 for 3000.
If I had to guess.... I would say my 318 in my Duster is making close to 300 hp. I have 750 bucks from both carbs to the oil pan. Haven't ran it with the dual quads, but the car ran about 95 mph in the 1/4 with the single 4bbl, no headers, stock converter, 2.76 gears and close to 3400 lbs at the start line. Then it was a 498 dollar 318. Now 750 with dual quads. I bet the mph would be 1 or 2 better with the dual quads.

I don't believe 318willrun claimed he could build a 400 HP 318 with 3000 budget. 340's didn't produce 400HP.

I don't believe 318willrun claimed he could build a 400 HP 318 with 3000 budget. 340's didn't produce 400HP.
Exactly. I didn't claim a hp, I said with 1500 more in the budget, my 318 would beat the 340. At least in my opinion.

but the op didn't say 400hp for 3k though did he, but that seems to have become the focus of some guys here (318 haters?)

No one's 'hating' on 318s any more that anyone's 'hating' on 340s. Why can't people have a spirited discussion anymore without someone claiming one side or the other is 'hating?' There's no hatred here. We're all Mopar guys afterall.

When I got my 73 duster I paid $1,750 for it. I basically threw the 727 and 7 1/4 away and got a four-speed with bellhousing for I think $750. And a 8 and 1/4 with 3:55 for $200.... I think my biggest purchase for that 318 was the dual quad tunnel ram LOL and the used slicks... LOL.. I blew it up trying to hold third gear through the quarter mile LOL actually I didn't quite blow it up it was knocking pretty bad though and the three four rod bearings looked like tin foil...lol..
It was a pretty cool 318 and I still do have the block in my shed. It was a cop motor and I still have the 360 heads and had those completely rebuilt with 202 valves and they will be going on my Power Wagon Stroker. It also had a windage tray and some funky numbers on the block that came out race engine or something, but with more review it was just probably a reman motor for fleet use. It certainly didn't have an x on the front of it or anything...

No one's 'hating' on 318s any more that anyone's 'hating' on 340s. Why can't people have a spirited discussion anymore without someone claiming one side or the other is 'hating?' There's no hatred here. We're all Mopar guys afterall.
at least that's how I saw it...... but so many want to change the parameters of the discussion. I think if we just read post 1, and pretty plain and all should be able to answer which they think would win. It's not about "what if I already have...." or "who only spends 3k" or anything else. Post 1, which one wins? If the 318, it shows something of the expense and what the 340 has become. A restorers or class racer engine. Not the smart choice for a daily driver that does weekend warring.

i said the same thing earlier in this thread, but some still insist that a performance 318 isn't possible and put down any builds that prove otherwise. just it seems because the 318 is worthless. as you say it's still a mopar and it CAN make sensible power for a sensible budget. most are agreed that it's a hypothetical discussion and they'd pick a 360/5.9 given the choice but others just take every opportunity to 'slag' the 318 and the op. there's no need, again as you say.

Seems several members here on other threads claim "good running 318's are free", and they wish somebody would take them off their hands. Seems the going price for just a 340 block (known good) is about 800, and known good core long blocks are about 1500. So, I ask the question "with todays prices, is the 318 a faster engine on a 3k budget than a 340?". Basically, in the first post I listed the most complete core 340 I could find in my area and it was 1500 bucks. So, the free good running 318 2bbl and 3k vs a 1500 dollar 340 "good core minus intake/carb" AND 1500 to spend. Which engine wins the race ?
I would think 1500 would cover a stroker kit for either one and still leaving only in the neighborhood of 20 to 25 cubes apart... Yeah I still think that extra $1,500 would go a long ways to making up for that so I would definitely pick the 318...
(In that scenario to make more horsepower)))

When I got my 73 duster I paid $1,750 for it. I basically threw the 727 and 7 1/4 away and got a four-speed with bellhousing for I think $750. And a 8 and 1/4 with 3:55 for $200.... I think my biggest purchase for that 318 was the dual quad tunnel ram LOL and the used slicks... LOL.. I blew it up trying to hold third gear through the quarter mile LOL actually I didn't quite blow it up it was knocking pretty bad though and the three four rod bearings looked like tin foil...lol..
It was a pretty cool 318 and I still do have the block in my shed. It was a cop motor and I still have the 360 heads and had those completely rebuilt with 202 valves and they will be going on my Power Wagon Stroker. It also had a windage tray and some funky numbers on the block that came out race engine or something, but with more review it was just probably a reman motor for fleet use. It certainly didn't have an x on the front of it or anything...
I remember you beating on that 318. lol I also remember you wanting to build a potent 318.
But after crashing the numbers for a 318 build, you decided to go stroker and now having the 408 you aren't regretting it.

i said the same thing earlier in this thread, but some still insist that a performance 318 isn't possible and put down any builds that prove otherwise. just it seems because the 318 is worthless. as you say it's still a mopar and it CAN make sensible power for a sensible budget. most are agreed that it's a hypothetical discussion and they'd pick a 360/5.9 given the choice but others just take every opportunity to 'slag' the 318 and the op. there's no need, again as you say.
also several of the posters who say the '318 can' have also said given the choice they'd build a 340/360 (including me) so not 340 haters at all. their cost just means that mostly they will go to restorers who 'need' the 'right' motor.

mmmmm, strange. that should've been an edit to post 1136.

I remember you beating on that 318. lol I also remember you wanting to build a potent 318.
But after crashing the numbers for a 318 build, you decided to go stroker and now having the 408 you aren't regretting it.
100% agreed... I still remember the thread where I wanted to build the baddest 318 known to man.. and was hell bent on doing it... And again like you said crunching the numbers it was a no-brainer to do the 360 stroker over the 318 Stroker as the 360 was done more frequently in the 318 Pistons at the time cost a little more.. for the same amount it was to purchase a 360 block from the machine shop for $150...
Unfortunately that's nowhere near the point of this thread..
Just be like saying this thread is to expose mad scientists I mean yellow rose as 448scamp... Lol...
Oh wait a minute sorry that was name calling LOL...
I think the point of this thread was can 3K build 400 horsepower out of a 318 and I believe it could be done..
If you put up the cash I'll give her a shot.. LOL..

Yeah things getting out of control I apologize.

The only point I was trying to make is that magnum heads out of the box with some valve springs. Made 380hp on the crate 5.9 dyno tuning and stock heads and the 380 crate motor goes a touch over 400

Yeah things getting out of control I apologize.

The only point I was trying to make is that magnum heads out of the box with some valve springs. Made 380hp on the crate 5.9 dyno tuning and stock heads and the 380 crate motor goes a touch over 400

1507254-ced61043b74c45b9703e14a51b923e7d-jpg-jpg.jpg

100% agreed... I still remember the thread where I wanted to build the baddest 318 known to man.. and was hell bent on doing it... And again like you said crunching the numbers it was a no-brainer to do the 360 stroker over the 318 Stroker as the 360 was done more frequently in the 318 Pistons at the time cost a little more.. for the same amount it was to purchase a 360 block from the machine shop for $150...
Unfortunately that's nowhere near the point of this thread..
Just be like saying this thread is to expose mad scientists I mean yellow rose as 448scamp... Lol...
Oh wait a minute sorry that was name calling LOL...
I think the point of this thread was can 3K build 400 horsepower out of a 318 and I believe it could be done..
If you put up the cash I'll give her a shot.. LOL..
no, there was no actual hp number quoted in post 1. it was ''can a 318 make more power than a 340 for a buy and build budget of 3k?''.
maybe if 448scamp is so sure your 400hp for 3k 318 is impossible he'd put up the money, on the basis of it makes 400hp you keep it and if not he gets his money back. if he's such a big budget guy as he says maybe he can afford that challenge?

LOL.... I never mentioned a HP, nowhere in the post is HP mentioned. All these others turned it into "400 hp". Not 390, not 410, gotta be 400 hp. So sick of 400 hp. I beat so many 400 hp 350 chivies when I was young. Now it's 400 hp 318. 400 is better than 405. IDK... I give up LOL

LOL.... I never mentioned a HP, nowhere in the post is HP mentioned. All these others turned it into "400 hp". Not 390, not 410, gotta be 400 hp. So sick of 400 hp. I beat so many 400 hp 350 chivies when I was young. Now it's 400 hp 318. 400 is better than 405. IDK... I give up LOL
You're likely correct I don't even think I read the first post... Or I may have I'm not sure. I've been seeing this thread go on and on and on so I finally jumped in to see what all the hub was about... The theme seem to turn to making 400 horsepower in a 318 for 3K... I just answered my opinion on that subject whether it was the original one or not...
But just like others have a reputation for being the way they are under any assumed name you do also have one for starting extremely loose end controversial threads... That create this kind of hoopla... Of course I would never do anything like that...:rolleyes:...

You're likely correct I don't even think I read the first post... Or I may have I'm not sure. I've been seeing this thread go on and on and on so I finally jumped in to see what all the hub was about... The theme seem to turn to making 400 horsepower in a 318 for 3K... I just answered my opinion on that subject whether it was the original one or not...
But just like others have a reputation for being the way they are under any assumed name you do also have one for starting extremely loose end controversial threads... That create this kind of hoopla... Of course I would never do anything like that...:rolleyes:...
I think if you go back and read the 1st post, there is nothing there to that's offensive. It dawned on me the other day that in today's market, the 318 could actually be the smart choice even with a 3k budget. All due to the collectors, or class racers, of course. Never once did I say the 340 is blah blah, I love 340's, I've owned 340's, including a factory 340 4 speed '69 cuda. I just thought it was a iconic moment in mopar history. If folks had an open mind in our hobby, not nearly so many undies would be in a bundle !

I think if you go back and read the 1st post, there is nothing there to that's offensive. It dawned on me the other day that in today's market, the 318 could actually be the smart choice even with a 3k budget. All due to the collectors, or class racers, of course. Never once did I say the 340 is blah blah, I love 340's, I've owned 340's, including a factory 340 4 speed '69 cuda. I just thought it was a iconic moment in mopar history. If folks had an open mind in our hobby, not nearly so many undies would be in a bundle !

To me it boils down can a 318 built for $3000 beat a refreshed 340 with airgap headers and something like xe285hl cam.

To me it boils down can a 318 built for $3000 beat a refreshed 340 with airgap headers and something like xe285hl cam.
Yeah it would be a good showdown between a 5.2 magnum and a 340. I'm not sure a person can source a 340 very cheap these days. I have one but not going to build it for racing.

Lol I think this is how the 400hp thing got started

Since magazine builds were brought up, here's one to ponder (and we all know how accurate magazine build dyno numbers are...):

1970 340 High Performance Mill Dyno - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Just like @273 said above, this build is pretty basic and I'm pretty sure it would qualify as being less than $1,500 - cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, intake. I'm not counting the carb, headers, ignition, since none of those things have been mentioned yet. Hell, you'd probably have money left over for beer. Now, let's put this up against the mighty $3k 318.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back