Today I am very lucky to be alive!!!!!!

-
Glad everything turned out ok Southern Eagle. Like someone else said it's easy to get baited into a race. Nearly every time I take the Cuda out someone goes by me revving their engine. You just gotta smile and resist the temptation. It's tough, but doable

..........On the other hand those tires might have been "done" anyhow. Is a "few seconds" at 120 really as bad as say, hour after hour in desert heat at 70, 80, 85? There seems to be places where this is "normal."

Idaho is now reconsidering raised speed limits to 80 in open areas and evidently Utah has already done so. Montana used to have a "prima facie" speed limit but I believe it's now 75 max. Evidently places in Texas are 85

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/g...cle_926b083a-9e55-11e3-95bb-0019bb2963f4.html

Attachments

• 801.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 802.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 148
Gary Quinn

Today I am very lucky to be alive!!!!!!
I took the purple dragon for a drive today and a 40 Chevy decided he wanted to play after teasing me a little bit I decided to run him, he gets the jump on me but it didn't take long to catch and pass him, the speedo was pegged at 120 when I hit 4th gear and really pulled away from him. At this point the race was over so I started slowing down and around 65 to 70 miles an hour the passenger front tire blew out and put me in the grass. I am glad that the car didn't get hurt. I want to send out a big THANK YOU to Chris, Steve and Mitch at Spicer Automotive for saving my butt again and pulling the car to the shop and fixing it again. I just saw the guy at the Ringgold Cruise and he told me he was running 142 and I was pulling away from him. So yes today I am lucky!!!!

To begin with racing on the street is dangerous, especially at high speed. You also need higher rated tires to match your vehicles output. If you had H rated on they aren't meant to go over 130mph. That would be the main probable cause in the tire blow out. Once the speed is passed it weakens the tire as that's the threshold at which the tire may start to come apart. The speed ratings are only effective when the tire is properly installed, properly inflated and has not had a puncture plugged. Once the tire has had a puncture plugged the max speed rating no longer applies. This also applies to pinches or road rash on the sidewall as it weakens the structure of the tire. Here is a complete list of the tire speed ratings and an explanation on the newer high speed ratings.

L 75 mph 120 km/h
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h
R 106 mph 170 km/h
S 112 mph 180 km/h
T 118 mph 190 km/h
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h
V 149 mph 240 km/h
W 168 mph 270 km/h
Y 186 mph 300 km/h

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities. While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed. Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h. As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.

Im glad it turned out good for you-the old adage "speed kills" is true but I feel prolonged high speed is the worst.I might get flamed for it but street racing has always been my passion.BUT I will say we always did it on deserted dead end roads and its all about getting there quick and shuttin it down,never been 110 for more than a split second.Anything can happen and Ive never been one for long drawn out high speed races,just gettin there fast.

-
Back