Toed out, Suspension rebuild?

-

Johnjgonzo8D

Reaction score
So I took my 1964 Dodge Dart GT /6 in to get the camber fixed on the front two tires, well 99 dollars seems cheap and easy. But I called to check progress, the man told me that he won't do the camber alignment because the front suspension is jacked up. So I went home and put it on jacks and could see that it is funky looking. I need some help with what kits I should be using and if it will even solve my problem. The wear on my tires is getting scary, and the camber is affecting the tire in the way that it hits the wheel fender on turns. I found a kit on Ebay that looks to be right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-1965-1966-DODGE-DART-NEW-FRONT-END-SUSPENSION-REBUILD-KIT-/321635727779?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae2fbb9a3&vxp=mtr

I need advice on what to do here, all advice is helpful.

Find a better alignment shop , he just doesn't want to put the extra effort out for $99

Your probably on the right track unless the car was hit sometime in its life. If the upper and lower bushings were never done as far as you know that's what it should need. I just did upper and lowers on my Duster. They were so bad you could see both tires leaning in! Now its fine. The whole kit is a plus because you get ball joints etc also

Might want to be sure of where these parts are made, and who by.
I remember hearing here that some parts on new rebuilds failed after a very short time of running. (I think it was ball joints)
Try making sure you get Moog OEM.

Mine are all poly, so I can't really recommend a source for rubber.

Might want to be sure of where these parts are made, and who by.
I remember hearing here that some parts on new rebuilds failed after a very short time of running. (I think it was ball joints)
Try making sure you get Moog OEM.

Mine are all poly, so I can't really recommend a source for rubber.
Agree on getting Moog bushings, should have said that.

We can help you with a kit and being a member makes you eligible for the member's discount. How are your tires wearing at this point? Inside or out? I would start by thoroughly inspecting the front end. As that kit doesn't include a pit or idler arm. So you know from the start what needs replacing.

Thanks
James

It has negative Camber so the inside of the wheels are worn to complete baldness. yeah I was going to take it to may Dad's friend's house to check further when it is lifted off the ground.

Better describe "funky looking". Are you just looking at the angle of the tires or have you looked for play in the suspension & steering by wiggling wheels and prying? On my 64 & 65, I bought parts piecemeal and only what was needed. One lower ball joint was bad, but all other ball joints were tight and only needed a new boot (polyurethane best) and grease. I paid must less than $210 total for each car (if full kit) and used better parts like Moog offset UCA aft bushings (for better caster) and "improved" 2-piece strut rod bushings.

Toe-out can change a lot from either a ride height change (sagged or broken T-bars) or worn components. Usually parts don't come loose, indeed one must pry out rusted UCA adjusters and such, but you live in SoCal where rust is unknown, so maybe something did just loosen. Show us some photos of all bushings and other components so we aren't just guessing (like you). Toe-in adjustment is the most critical and if off can quickly wear out tires and make the car wander and unsafe to drive.

With further inspection I noticed the bushings were cracked and worn, I will post pictures soon. Thanks for the tips guys

-
Back