Toluene for octane

-
I agree that for newer cars with modern tech and cats its a bad idea.

On old cars however it works great. That altitude chemical you mentioned is Stadis 450 I believe. It contains between 30 and 60% Toluline.

It's a decent affordable alternative.

Build it for 92 or 93, forget the other stuff, not that cheap. Mess if it hits your paint, dry out or swell carb and fuel pump parts, a few gallons of av gas is all I would do.

Right with Moparman,I have a airport 2 miles from and the head mechanic is one of my best friends,I have used it for years and have also had my engine torn down to check things and had absolutely no signs of ANY damage running 100ll airplane fuel,The only thing that is a pain in the butt is the grey mist that appears on my back bumper from the fuel and it wipes right off,The other benefit from 100LL airplane fuel for you guy's is take and run 1 tank thru your car and look at your exhaust before and after,The stuff will clean the inside of your exhaust piping and make it spotless--Steve

av gas may seem like its working better here on earth,,,but it is formulated to work up in the air,,,

That article is regarding the use of Avgas v autogas in airplanes not cars so it doesn't fly in this discussion. =P~

I would recommend trying it rather than dissing it especially if you have never used it. I find it amusing when people argue a point but they have no experience with the product and have not educated themselves. There are tons of websites discussing it's use in OLDER cars and you will find that most of the naysayers have never used it...they only read the negative comments and jumped on that bandwagon.

Once again the only thing this fuel has in it for altitude is Stadis 450....an anti-static agent that has Toluene, Naptha, etc...all highly combustible chemicals that you find in gas anyway and not proven to cause harm to our older engines.

I have 5 years of use and thousands of miles logged and my motor is clean and runs as good now as it did new.

Try buying any of this stuff in CA...;-(, I think xylene is ~$9 for a gallon.

Sure...I have used my fair share of Toluene and Xylene both.

Makes 86 Octane regular sustain 30 psi of boost with no-detonation...
= must work.

Cool thing is its available at a Wal-Mart, Sherwin Williams near you.

^ Toluene is great for boost. Just look at what they did with the Formula One engines in the 80's. Many teams ran nearly 90% toluene on a turbocharged 1.5 liter engine and made over 1000 HP.

Yea Moparman but they don't listen to the people who have experience with it and it just floors me--Steve

Well that's life for you....some people just like to comment and don't take the time to do research before they do.

Stubborn is as stubborn does.....:D
Ignorance is bliss....:D
Durka Durka Durka.....:D

If there is any downside to using it it has been documented here.....it does leave a film on the bumpers but it does wipe right off.

The bottom line is that it is cheaper and safer than mixing your own fuel and since it raises the octane level, it accomplishes what the desired task is.

I have used racing gas before at the track and aviation fuel also,it is expensive,hence the interest in this info,and to see what and if alternatives for better octane could be obtained safely and economically as for options in my area are very limited which will probably determine my 440 build to lose some compression from about 11-1 down to 9 to 9.5 or so,want to be able to run standard pump gas 87-89....but I am always good for some info/research to see whats out there or if theres a better way that I do not have knowledge of...pump gas sucks now compared to yesteryear,aint much better than watered down paint thinner...[well that may be a stretch] I cannot afford to run out and buy alum heads and new pistons and spend money I dont have so I will find another solution and a way to run this engine if it hairlips the pope..I would mix gas with these said other chemicals if they were reasonable and readily available in my area but it appears to me the costs/storage and availability is a problem on a long term basis,hell around here you have to sign your name and show ID JUST TO BUY OVER THE COUNTER COLD MEDICINE THANKS TO THE CRANKSTER GANGSTERS...cant imagine the swat teams that'd show up if you tried to buy 10 gals of tolene or what have you...all in the sweet name of big brother and homeland security...and there is only 1 airport as of a year ago you could get aviation fuel from in my area and it's 55 miles away...so alternatives are always looked at by me,guess we could throw some moth balls in a tank of gas and see what happens...

http://www.lamp.umd.edu/Safety/Msds/msds_chemicals/toluene.htm

Toxicological Data:
Oral rat LD50: 636 mg/kg; skin rabbit LD50: 14100 uL/kg; inhalation rat LC50: 49 gm/m3/4H; Irritation data: skin rabbit, 500 mg, Moderate; eye rabbit, 2 mg/24H, Severe. Investigated as a tumorigen, mutagen, reproductive effector.
Reproductive Toxicity:
Has shown some evidence of reproductive effects in laboratory animals.

(it can be absorbed through the skin as well as air vapors)

I have used racing gas before at the track and aviation fuel also,it is expensive,hence the interest in this info,and to see what and if alternatives for better octane could be obtained safely and economically as for options in my area are very limited which will probably determine my 440 build to lose some compression from about 11-1 down to 9 to 9.5 or so,want to be able to run standard pump gas 87-89....but I am always good for some info/research to see whats out there or if theres a better way that I do not have knowledge of...pump gas sucks now compared to yesteryear,aint much better than watered down paint thinner...[well that may be a stretch] I cannot afford to run out and buy alum heads and new pistons and spend money I dont have so I will find another solution and a way to run this engine if it hairlips the pope..I would mix gas with these said other chemicals if they were reasonable and readily available in my area but it appears to me the costs/storage and availability is a problem on a long term basis,hell around here you have to sign your name and show ID JUST TO BUY OVER THE COUNTER COLD MEDICINE THANKS TO THE CRANKSTER GANGSTERS...cant imagine the swat teams that'd show up if you tried to buy 10 gals of tolene or what have you...all in the sweet name of big brother and homeland security...and there is only 1 airport as of a year ago you could get aviation fuel from in my area and it's 55 miles away...so alternatives are always looked at by me,guess we could throw some moth balls in a tank of gas and see what happens...

TNT stands for Trinitrotoluene. I am no chemist, but toluene looks to be an ingredient, so homeland security might be concerned......

When I was buying toluene by the gallon, no one questioned it, but when I bought a 5 gallon pail, they asked me what I was doing with it.

Where I first got the idea to use toluene was from a old circle track book of which I can't remember the title. The section was called "poor man's race fuel" they said to mix 4 parts avgas, 4 parts unleaded premium and 1 part toluene. Then I upped the toluene for more octane.... Then I tried xylene.

TNT stands for Trinitrotoluene. I am no chemist, but toluene looks to be an ingredient, so homeland security might be concerned......

When I was buying toluene by the gallon, no one questioned it, but when I bought a 5 gallon pail, they asked me what I was doing with it.

First : Whoa,all people! I just threw this ,out there. Five years ago,I could buy toluene by the gallon at Ace hardware 10 years ago. Not currently available,in retail form in California. I will research. Wow,crazy *** response. Inkjunkie ,speaks my mind ,here.

-
Back