Too cool not to show...

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
Last Sunday, I was in town filling my Dart with Sunoco 104 when I heard a beautiful ground shaking rumble that was evidence of some serious horsepower.
I looked around and saw a mid-'60s Jaguar XKE pulling in, being driven by a guy who was 80 if he was a day. I was really puzzled because the Jag should have had a six cylinder. But no six I've ever heard sounded like that.
Anyway, after I got done filling up my car, I went over and began talking with the Jag's owner.
He said he bought the car new in 1964. I told him it didn't sound like any six cylinder I knew of. He just smiled and said it had a 427 Ford. I asked if it was a side oiler motor. He said no, "it's just a single overhead cam motor."
Mind you, that last part didn't soak in right away. The owner said he still has the original six cylinder at home.
He asked if I wanted to see the engine and tilted the hood open. I was blown away.
Lo and behold it was a dual four barrel 427 SOHC motor. I have never seen one on the street. The last time I saw one actually running was at Tucson Dragway back in the late '60s. And that was in a funny car.
The engine sounded beautifully healthy. The owner said it was over 500 horsepower. I can believe it. It wouldn't have surprised me if it was actually closer to 600.
It has been in the car about 15 years.
He asked me about my Dart and said he liked it. It's got a pretty decent 340 but I sure would have hated to go head to head against the Jag.
Here's a picture I shot with my cell phone.
sohc.jpg

Yep, the cammer has a sound all it's own. There a guy around here that has one in a 63 Galaxy.

Henry Ford II got tired of seeing his Fords get whipped by the 426 Hemi so he called out the stops to have some competition built. The result was the 427 SOHC "cammer". Their version of a Hemi was probably the coolest production engine Ford ever built. A friend has one of them in a 70 Mustang street rod. It sounds amazing! I think a Jaguar with a cammer is pretty cool. Not Mopar cool.....but still cool! A true Hot Roddder.

that is real cool! i think if i remember it right those cammer motors where 616HP Stock wish is crazy, wish i could here one of those sometime,but from what i know there is just one of them over here and that information is very old so it may not exist anymore :(

very cool find:)

How awesome!
Not cheap by any means that motor!

Clearly the guy knew no jag motor is reliable enough lol.

That thing is wicked! It looks like its got some kind of fuel injection on it too...

That engine is the holy grail for ford guys.

A friend of mine has one in a 34 Ford pickup. Talk about sweet!!! They were rated 615 or so horses with one 4 barrel and around 650 or so with quads. My friends buddy in California sold one complete to a rich dude for $75,000!

Awsome motors anyway you look at em.

Wow that is way way cool, you can get sunoco 104 where you live? The best we can do here is 91, without buying race fuel and mixing it w/pump gas. Oh yea I guess the car is ok too.

I would have messed my pants right then and there! That's jaw-dropping! Thanks for sharing!

Judge, trust me, I almost did spot my shorts when I first saw those valve covers.
My heart wouldn't pound any harder even if Catherine Zeta-Jones was to knock on my front door and try to sell me a phone.

I think there is a guy around here with one in a Ford Vicky. I saw it at Pacific Raceway (SIR) once

I think there is a guy around here with one in a Ford Vicky. I saw it at Pacific Raceway (SIR) once

That would be Jim Greens old car. http://www.jimgreens.com/ click on "Jim's Rides" Jim is the cammer god! I worked on some of his customers cars when I worked in a rod shop back in 2001, he would send us the car while he built the motor.

Good good I would never mess with that thing on the street.... that thing is wild! I'd love to do for a ride in that car.... it seems like it should haul some serious @ss!

There is one in my area. It's in a thirty something Ford sedan. The original owner passed away a while ago. This car back in the 80's would run in the 11's. The car weighed over 4000lbs. The owner now had it at one of the cruise nights. I haven't seen this car since the 80's. It brought back memories. It drew a crowed like you wouldn't believe. There was 2 of these motors in my area. My buddy had one in his 70 Mustang. He sold the car with motor for $80,000 back in the 80's or 90's (memory fade). What a sound these things make.

Fred B

Glad to hear it made your day :cheers: The ol man sounds like a kind fellow and you most likely made his day to :-D. Thank you for a cool day at the pumps 8)

-
Back