too hott!!

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok i did alittle preventive maint. before a little trip in my truck, and i noticed it gets hot! at idle sorry i dont know how hot its just an cold and hot guage and it almost peggs to the hot, all i changed was; what did i do wrong?

temp sender
oil press sender
thermostat 160
oil
trans fluid
air filter

what kind of auto? did you burp the cooling system? sounds like you got an air pocket traped in there. do you have a clutch fan? when you changed the sening unit are you sure you got the correct one? does the wire have a bare spot where it can ground itself out? I need more information to help diagnios your problem.
Chuck

727, 1989 1 ton ram. dont know what burping the system means? sorry havent used that term before, yeah stock clutch fan thought about trying a reg. non clutch type? there shouldnt be any bare wires and i hope i got the right sender thats what my parts guy gave me, hes usually pretty good at getting the right stuff. thanks alot cjcx3!

With everything cold, remove the radiator cap and start the truck. Watch the coolant. It should flow once the thermostat opens. Top of radiator should be hot, the bottom a bit cooler. Make sure the lower radiator hose doesn't collapse. If you can, stick a thermometer in the top of the radiator and see if it's REALLY that hot. Just some suggestions... the stuff that comes to mind.

I don't much care for viscous fans, I use flex fans instead. I have better luck with those.

Good luck.

yeah I had to unhook the heater hose, at the firewall,
on a newer jeep and burp the water out that way,
that was the highest spot in the cooling system.

The temp guage at the radiator is cool,
I see them at Advance Auto now.

thermostat upside down is my best guess.
Open is open so 160/180/195 wont make a huge difference on the hot end.

...............U need a 195 t stat to keep the coolant in the rad long enough to do it job..........kim.........

Not necessary...

I used to be a member of DodgeTalk.com and we discussed options of pulling the most horsepower out of the stock truck motor without going crazy. We found that switching the thermo from 195 to 180 actually kept the motor cooler and therefore better performance. I was skeptic at first but I switched it out. The motor indeed runs cooler (needle doesn't move as far) in the summertime. The throttle response is better and it has much better take off.

its all about the size of the radiator. if you have a big radiator it will lower engine temp if you run a lower degree stat. if you are using a small radiator and the stat is say a 160 you could run the coolant through the radiator too quickly for it to do its job because the 160 stat will be open more often. pop the radiator cap and check for flow and at the same time check the fluid temp with another gauge to verify the sender is ok. i have an old cooking themometer i use.

I have a similar problem, I'm running a fairly large radiator from a big block on my 318 with flexlite fan, While driving it stays below 160, but at idle it will climb to 210. I think i'm running a 180 Tstat. I don't have a fan shroud, i know I need to get one. But should it be climbing that high? I am using a Temp Sender from the radiator.

Is your fan clutch working right. If it gets weak, the engine wont cool at low speed because its not allowing the fan to turn at the right speed.With the engine off,turn the fan by hand .It should not free wheel .There should be some resistance to turn it . Once a fan clutch when on my Blazer and the engine would over heat at non highway speed.I was on my way to the dragstrip lol.

I have a similar problem, I'm running a fairly large radiator from a big block on my 318 with flexlite fan, While driving it stays below 160, but at idle it will climb to 210. I think i'm running a 180 Tstat. I don't have a fan shroud, i know I need to get one. But should it be climbing that high? I am using a Temp Sender from the radiator.

You need a fan shroud.

V8, was it overheating before you did this maintenance? Have you driven it to see if it overheats while moving?
C

-
Back