Too lean?

-

crooked1/2dozen

Reaction score
Hi, let's see if I can include everything pertinent.

'64 Valiant, 225, 1bbl Carter I'm quite sure, but not near car now.

The car will slowly start to overheat on longer (+10 miles) drives. People talk about setting the mixture, and that overheating can be caused by too lean a mixture. How is the mixture setting changed for the high speed circuit? Pulled a couple plugs and they look brown/grey, no sign of blistering or anything.

I've put a new water pump, flushed rad etc., did all the cooling system checks, the car is fine around town, it's just down the highway @ 65mph cruising that it seems to do it, and it slowly will rise from normal to just about past the mark on the T gauge entering the overheat range.

While I'm at it, anybody know what particular aftermarket T gauge fits the slant?

TIA

Dan

Run a OEM degree t-stat, non of that 160 degree nonsense. Make a fan shroud. Any aftermarket sunpro to autometer gauge works.

Overheating on the freeway is a flow or volume issue, no matter what you have already done to it.
Just because it was flushed only means there isn't anything loose in there, and does not mean it isn't restricted still.
A shroud will only help in town and does nothing on the hiway.

You may have to bite the bullet and replace that radiator (after everything else is eliminated of course)
I totally agree with the part about the OEM temp thermostat.

Someone ^^^:D didn't read your post before they replied.

The main jet controls the cruise mixture. But that is not likley it. All sorts of 225 Carter BBS's run cool. Make sure the ignition timing is right, and then focus on the cooling system.

Thanks for replies. I reset the timing from where it had been, advanced it about 8deg from where it was, no pinging or anything, it seemed to help a bit but still runs hot on highway. I should use the methods of finding TDC using a straw or whatever to ensure that the harmonic balancer hasn't slipped.

Dan

-
Back