Too many ,mistakes.....

-
I used a cutting wheel on a air tool, hard to cut a round hole with a straight disc but take your time and comes out good. I used black door edge guard from the local parts store to cover up the edge. I centered the hole around the air cleaner, not the center of the hood. Remember, the engine is offset in most or all mopars.....but if a scoop is installed, then the scoop is centered on the hood :glasses7:

Thanks.,.. nice..

Nice fab work there. Nothing like a budget (or lack of) to get the creative juices flowing. How are you doing the paint work?

Nice fab work there. Nothing like a budget (or lack of) to get the creative juices flowing. How are you doing the paint work?

15 dollar Harbor Freight touch up gun, Martin Senour Crossfire single stage urethane.

Cool deal-I bought a little 1 qt gravity HVLP gun from HF before-actually worked pretty well. it wasn't a perfect pattern, but it worked great for laying down primer. Staying tuned!

Installed the cold air pan,for the last time. Flipped the hood over,and seen it's time for minor touch up's. Next trip: Wal -Mart ,fo Rustoleum semi gloss black.

Tim's Resto 56-1.jpg

Tim's Resto 56-2.jpg

Tim's Resto 56-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: - Looking good! Nice & clean. - Can't wait to see it on the car.

I glassed my scoop in old 'glass style,years ago. I used stainless rivets,'glass strips & resin,Mar glass & a skim of filler.I did not seal the bottom side,under the scoop ten years ago. A crack shown up,ground & found rust. Dug deep into the resin,Rust -Morted it.(Damn.).Mar Glass,skim coat of filler. (Now a maintence project,like running valves)
Had to fill the gaps ,cheaply... Used Dow's "Great Stuff" expanding foam.Worked well,for what it is ,wished I knew about this site ten years ago.....

Tim's Resto 60-1.jpg

Tim's Resto 60-2.jpg

cool makin progress...hood looks great.nice ideas on the cold air package buddy...

Blocked the hood with 500 wet or dry,soapy water. Hood's good to squirt,amazing how much time a piece can take.(I was cheap,should have bought the better hood scoop,dammit.). The interior is a shambles,have most of the parts. Early stock door panels,with a couple of glass buckets added by a previous owner. Pulled the seat covers Friday,found a 2 inch tall lump of unhardened bondo on one (JOY!). About two hours with green scotchbrite in 2 "squares , & whatever "xylene/toluene free" paint reducer consists of ,removed it well. Took the garden atomizer pump,warm water/dishwater soap & slowly hose it down with a hand held sprinkler.
Modifications needed: The glass buckets,are non adjustable & uncomfortable. Padding & adjustable seat brackets (homemade,hopefully...) ,are needed. I drove 6 hours to Los Angeles,in these seats,they are a cheek killer. More plans: Pioneer TS series three ways already installed,need an amp & a trigger off my cell or a tablet. So much easier.(Kudos to Trailbeast & Mad Dart here). More to come....

Tim's Resto 64-1.jpg

Tim's Resto 64-2.jpg

The first squirt: Flat black(I used semi gloss before..) Rustoleum,and acetone = failure. (Cost minimal,effort: RRRrrrr.). Went back to school. (H.A.M.B,has interesting idea's on paint....). Ended up with a 90 /10 percent Rustoleum/Sunny side "Xylene replacement" reducer. (Everything I have shot with this reducer flows like glass in Cali!) A cap fill of hardener ,works. wonders.... I ended up with a "Organisol " look. The kicker was: the activator ,kicked the Rustoleum off like a urethane single stage ,in the leftover cup.

Tim's Resto 67-1.jpg

I probably will be painting my Swinger myself when the time comes, I may hit you up and try to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind.

Pulled the interior out. Found the seat adjustment brackets, buried in a long forgotten parts box.(lol) Pulled the seat covers off the glass buckets. Anyone who has rode in these have buns of steel ,or your cheeks hurt. Mine consisted of the latter. Mail order gets like 29 bucks for padding.(No way!). Hit the thrift stores ,found enough for both seats dirt cheap. Found some rust,in the passenger side floor panel. It's still structure safe streghthwise,has rust work needed. The neutral safety switch ,on the aftermarket shifter failed(sigh). See you soon....

Tim's Resto 74-1.jpg

Tim's Resto 72-1.jpg

Tim's Resto 72-3.jpg

Lookin' good there Tim. You're as bad as I am, I do the same thing, shop around, improvise and am just plain cheap sometimes, lol. The fun part about it is coming up with a finished product that looks good, and was frugally done, love it.

to cool man defitinetly following this build doing something similar with the hood for my baby (Project Phoenix) keep the updates rolling in

-
Back