Too much Cam for combo??

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I've been gathering parts for my 318 build for a while now. After taking the heads off and realizing that my pistons top out at about .060 below the deck, which will yield me something like 8.8:1 comp ratio with my magnum heads, I think the cam I got is too much for that crappy of CR. I thought of taking it in to get decked to zero, but if I do that, I might as well go all the way. So, I've been looking for a 360 short block since pistons cost quite a bit less than they do for a 318, plus I would have more cubes, but the one I found was gone by the time I got there.
Anyhow, enough of the ramble. The 318 block I have is .030 over and the bores look really fresh. Intake is Air Gap, 650 holley. The cam is a Comp 284H Nostalgia 239/[email protected], .517 with 1.6:1 rockers. I'll be running 4.10 gears and a 3500 RPM converter. Should I :
1) just put the heads, intake, and carb on and run it with the cam that's in it (XE268H, I think) until I can find a shortblock.
2) put the new cam and and everything else on and run it until I get a shortblock.
3) Tear down what I have all the way and get it zero decked.

Cost is a factor, so I'm looking for the most cost-effective route. Oh, and is the Nostalgia cam too much for it as-is?

Thanks,
Dave

Since you have a 3500 converter and 4:10 gears the 284 cam will work but will it really make more power than the XE268 is the big question. I personally don't think it would. I'd run the XE268. It's much more suited to the low compression and still fair size so I think it'll run pretty good with it. JMHO

With the 1.6s you also raise the duration. I think it's too much cam. You will still be slightly overcammed with the XE268, but the convertor and gearing will help reduce the feel of that.

run what you have now. the nastalgia cam is not going to be near as good as the ex268. even with that cam you are going to be soft on the bottom end. it would help by getting it decked to zero. try to get your comp ratio to 9.50 to 1. 318's don't need alot of cam.

Zero Deck was the plan when I got the cam, along with some mild head porting. But, the funds got low. I'm trying to find a 360 shortblock rather than putting more into this one. The bores are good, so could I just get it decked and re-ring it?

as long as the bores are good then deck it , rehone the cylinders, and ring it and let it go. lastly are you going to have enough clearence with the valves? the lift of the cam and the 1.6 ratio rockers will put them close to the pistons. better be safe and check for clearence, or you'll be sorry....

Only bad thing to spending a couple hundred bucks on decking it just to get more compression is you can probably buy a rebuildable 360 short block for that. Not saying anything bad about doing a teen but 40 more cubes is a big power boost.

Try Keith Black Hypers They Have At Mancini Racing For Like 260 Bucks Zero Deck With Those Pistons And The Magnum Heads Your Lookin At An Easy 10:1 Cr With The Right Cam Close To 400 Horse Power Or More!

As for decking the 318... you can run into some weird ($$ consuming) problems. Head and/or intake must be cut to compensate for the any block deck changes, pushrods possibly too long, etc... I had to shim my valve gear to get reasonable rocker placement and then I cut my iron 4bbl intake (to avoid pulling heads to have them cut) but that made the intake essentially junk for any other non-decked 318 use.

Second time around I went 360 with KB pistons. More cubes, more power, fewer issues.

-
Back