Too Much Cooler Line Pressure

-

rdakota340

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this happen and eat up thrust bearing and crank. I put 300 miles on the car and the scat crank is junk, the motor is apart and you can clearly see the crank was pushed forward all of the clearances have been checked on the converter and flex plate. The converter has not ballooned that was checked also. the only lift is a cooler restriction.

I have a real hard time with the cooler line pressure taking out a crank/bearings.....

I don't claim to be a expert, and I see the car has forced induction, but this would be a new one on me?

...............Ur way off base fella...........I'm guessing it never had enough clearance to begin with if ur converter truly checked out fine..........kim.........

This info is even in the How To Rebuild 727 guideI have had this book for years after I was told this could be my problem I researched it and sure enough it's there. You should only have 5 to 30lbs on feed side. The crank shows that it was being pushed forward, The front side of the thrust is perfected I guess I will just wait till I get the motor back in and check pressure to see if that was the cause.

Are you certain it's from the crank being pushed forward, or could it have been pulled? I had a bad balancer pull a cast crank forward and wipe the thrust bearing and then the crank's thrust surface in about 500 miles. It did, however, eat the timing cover too so there was damage visible.
I would think too much cooler pressure could be it, but more than likely it's something else in the transmission. What is your end play? Was it a new pump or the original reused? Were new bushings pressed into it?

I rebuilt the auto in my '95 Ram and had a similar issue. Converter ballooned up and eat the trans pump, I'd bet the engine thrust took a beating also. I'm not taking the diesel apart to find out.

Pump and endplay issues can also do that which is where I was going there...

it was a new crank I had to give it clearance .006 when I put the engine together I had checked everything during assembly I built the tranny also I had it had .012 end play on the input shaft. I pulled the fitting out of the trans they are -6 AN and the inside diameter of those fittings are only 3/16 so that's a restriction. I'm pulling the trans apart to enlarge the cooler line holes and check stator bushings and converter charge circuit. I already checked converter ballooning and the flex plat clearance.

-
Back