Too Much Power Steering!

-

Gordon340

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Finally got the exhaust on my 67 Dart and was able to drive it on the road. Do not at all like the power steering -- way too much assit. Is there an easy way lower the pressure a little?

Thanks,

Brian

A guy once told me to find a power steering pump out of a 73-76 Cop car. They complained enough that chrysler came out with the change. I got the same problem with the demon.

i had that prob with my 73 satalite and my 73 duster i also had the prob that it was alway leaking so i went to a wrecking yard and pulled a manual searing gear box and colum out of a 74 valiant. and beleve it or not its not hard to steer at all. its just like power steering with lees power. just go manual its more power anyways.

Its not the pump, its the box. Cop cars had a firmer steering box in them. Firm Feel can build you a firmer steering box or just swap to a manual box.

AdamR said:
Its not the pump, its the box. Cop cars had a firmer steering box in them. Firm Feel can build you a firmer steering box or just swap to a manual box.

Yea it could have been the box he was talking about.

Thanks guys,

I went up to "Firm Feel's" web site and it looks like their mid range (about the feel of a late model sports car) is the box I need.

Brian

i also agree i dont like the powersteering too, way to touchy, if i was to convert to manual steering, i am gonna need a new colum, steering box, and what else, is the swap that hard, i might do this more down the road, especially if im gonna autox this car it might get a lil annoying making it this easy(i need the muscle haha:p)

Can i get a box threw firmfeel that has the ratio of power, but the work of manual i can correct, with the 16:1 (off the top of my head) box? I remember with the dart having to turn the wheel 1 and a half turns to turn a regular corner, kinda annoying lol and the huge wheel was a lil annoying(if wanting to turn fast) but it was easy as hell.

Where all car manufactures this easy at the time, did chevy and ford have a over assisted ps too? Does anyone know where i can find directions to rebuilding a ps pump, i got the pump and gaskets for it all i, is it just a pull appart and put it all back together id hate to mess up something and be screwed

try" a steer & gear" firm feel p.s. box. just put one in my 72 demon.has
the road feel you want.
jerry

dusterbuster325 said:
and beleve it or not its not hard to steer at all. its just like power steering with lees power. just go manual its more power anyways.

I beg to disagree on that one. I have manual steering in my 68 Barracuda and with modern wide radial tires it's a royal pain to manuver in a parking lot and at speed the ratio is so slow you just can't make evasive manuvers if needed.

I just finished swapping in a power box last weekend and have a few more details to finish up before it goes on it's maiden voyage with power steering.

If you are not happy with the feel of the stock box do yourself a favor and swap in a Firm Feel.

You don't need a new column for the power to manual swap. Flaming River makes a beautiful shaft that has a U-joint on it to lengthen the shaft and get some extra room. I used that on my swap and it was really easy.

manualconv1.JPG

manualconv2.JPG

-
Back