Tool Mounting Ideas

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Like many of you, I'm sure, I have started to acquire a growing collection of power tools. Some of these almost require a place to mount them or a stand that is dedicated to their use. I really don't have a lot of room for a bunch of power tools that I only use occasionally; like bench grinders, band saw, combo belt/disc sander. I am thinking of fabbing up an interchangable mount on my workbench that I can use to mount these tools when I need them and store them out of the way (and more compactly) when they are not in use. Anyone have a good idea that they have used or are using and are willing to share some pix? I have an idea in mind, but I know that there are some really creative guys out here that may have a better idea. Post 'em up :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: L8r

Jim

For your bench grinder lay a rim on the floor weld a pipe up from the center and weld a plate on it to bolt the grinder and you now have a grinder stand.

This should be a great thread...

Can we also add for hand tools as well?

More benches? Roll around table, pre-drilled for all? With sheetmetal on top, so to use as a welding table? Works for me.

For your bench grinder lay a rim on the floor weld a pipe up from the center and weld a plate on it to bolt the grinder and you now have a grinder stand.

Thanks and while this will certainly work, I am trying to avoid having a separate stand for every new, large power tool acquired. L8r

Jim

This should be a great thread...

Can we also add for hand tools as well?

Absolutely! In fact, I had meant to include large hand tools in the discussion, but forgot to include that info before I pulled the trigger to post. Stuff like angle grinders and polishers take up a lot of space. Especially when a guy has several so that he doesn't have to spend a lot of time changing wheels, pads and discs.:toothy10:

More benches? Roll around table, pre-drilled for all? With sheetmetal on top, so to use as a welding table? Works for me.

Thanks, another good idea. Again, my intention was to pull this off without adding new, space-eating furniture around the shop. My initial thought was to mount a "receiver" under the edge of my current workbench, much like a modular trailer hitch. Then I could fab up a mounting pad to match the tool that slid into the receiver. This would be good for when you are using the tool, but what about storage when not in use? L8r

Jim

Another bench idea that I've seen is to mount the grinder or saw to a chunk of wood that fits in a hole in the bench top to hold it in place. When not in use a blank piece can be put in the hole so the area is a flat surface. As for storage maybe a rolling cart or shelf that you can move out of the way and store in the corner covered to keep the tools clean. There are also small work stands that rotate a triangle so three different tools can be mounted and rotated as needed. Takes up the space of an end table. You can add wheels and make it store under the bench and roll out.

The biggest thing that helped my 'tight garage' was to build sturdy over head shelves off the wall. Different heights to accept short and tall items. Highest shelves stick out as much as 4'; Next shelf down sticks out less. Doesn't impact floor space or head room but hold a ton of stuff.

Started with just studs. I insulated and sheet rocked. Then, bought 2" angle iron, attached with sheet metal screws to the studs, C-clamped and vise gripped brackets in place, tack welded. Took it all down, used golf tees to mark the holes, painted the brackets, textured and painted the walls and put it all back up with big lag screws. Planks are melamine. Added all thread rods to the ceiling for the big shelves.

I've got a k-member, disc brake rotors... all kinds of heavy stuff up there.

What I have done is use old tv type stands I buy from goverment auctions. They are very sturdy, 3 shelfs, locking wheels, and many have plug jacks. One of mine has a sander, portable table saw and a miter saw combination. Another one I have is set up for electral and vaccume work. I have also found out it's cheaper and neater to buy old file cabinets than build heavy duty shelves.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=28&acctID=973

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=164&acctID=3051

-
Back