Tools and how to start

-

mopars

Reaction score
hey
Guys This is my first big project and need some in put. I"m trying to remove the surface rust on the roof and i'm curious on how about i go about doing this? I have been using a block right now and wire brush by hand and usuing 100 grit paper. I"m also going to be going to pen carisle for the fall show this weekend so if someone wants to make up a list of what i should get and what everything is used for. The best thing for me if someone got a step by step of what to use and for and so on would be great to or if any one knows of any great books i should buy and get some great information on how to do a restoration.
Thanks

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

do you have an air compressor? if so get a da sander and some 80 grit sandpaper. makes quick time of it.

im doing the same thing as we speak what I did (since I dont have a compressor) I used an electric sander with 60 grit paper. And on the rough spots I used a wire wheel cup on the end of a drill, and when im done for the day anything that is bare metal I coat really good with por-15. when im done I plan on wet sanding everything and primeing to get it ready for paint. Its not a huge project but it will take you some time (will it is for me cuz im going down to bare metal) a DA sander would make quick work of it all tho.

orbal sander would be the best and then you will need a paint gun to spay eithter an epoxy primer or an itching prime to protect it

I usually use a da sander and start with 40 grit if the rust is deeper.Then I move up to 80 grit and hit it with epoxy primer.Then hi build primer over that,block sand with 180 to cut the primer surface then move up in grits to at least 320,prefer 400 before paint.Dont break through to bare metal.If you do it has to be primed.

Worked in a few body shops,so just ask away!

get yourself a few of the disposable in-line filters. only a few bucks apiece. they stop ALOT of water from going through your sander. when your ready to prime buy a new hose and dedicate that for spraying. and double up the filters. water in the lines tends to spurt all at once.

-
Back