Top Dead Center Tool

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a top dead center tool I made out of a old spark plug.I know these can be bought very inexpensively,but why buy something if you can make it for basically free?

Just find a old spark plug,and bust out the porcelain.Be sure to wear safety glasses.Take off the electrode,find a bolt,and you are done.Works excellent.

Hopefully this can help someone.

Picture 675.jpg

Picture 676.jpg

Good Idea, you could weld a nut on the back side so the bolt won't slip, and when you turn the engine backwards the bolt will still be in the same location.

When you try to find tdc, you need to first turn the engine till it hits the stop, mark the balancer, then rotate the oposite direction till it hits the stop, mark balancer. half way between the two marks is actual tdc

So if the #1 piston is at the top on the compression stroke,and the balancer is at the 0,this is not considered TDC?

tack weld a nut to the top of the plug then use a bolt that is threaded all the way up. That will keep the bolt from moving around.

So if the #1 piston is at the top on the compression stroke,and the balancer is at the 0,this is not considered TDC?
It could be off. That's why you check.
To be certian you are on tdc when degreeing in a cam.
Or what if the rubber in the balancer shifts, put together off?

But if the bolt doesn't move, how do you know the piston has come up and hit it?

I have to install a cam in my 360 ,which I have on a stand.Unfortunately the heads are on the motor.This is all new to me,but am enjoying the process..I have a buddy coming over to help me degree the cam,and button the motor up.

Yeah something threaded inside and out like a nonfouler would work great but I think I'd use a nylon bolt (home depot) as the weakest link. That way you couldn't damage anything and the tool would sort of stand out in a crowd.

-
Back