Top feed air filter good/bad

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to hear if anyone has had any luck with the top feed air filters. I see numerous good stories praising the additional air flow and then bad stories with these things causing air turbulance hurting the performance.

Anyways has anyone had direct experience along with the results when using these filters?

Quarter mile times seem to be a pretty good test bed....

I have yet to read anything about them, but had planned to use one. I planned to build an air-box because my hood scoop is functional. I am guessing if there is a turbulence issue, then maybe one of those crazy "gas mileage" "turbine" things, (diffuser) that redirect air flow, may not be a terrible addition? I never bought the gas mileage increase aspect, but I can see how it may redirect flow into a better more organized pattern.

My next question would be have there been legitimate tests to prove that there is actually turbulence? That's a damn hard conclusion to come to by just looking or "feeling" the difference in the performance.

Attachments

• PMX0905gas004_large.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 235
Top feed air filter like the K&N extreme filter top?
This is what I think your ref'ing.

I run one one my 360 w/a 750 Edelbrock. I have the required clearance recommend by K&N above the carb. I forget the clearance amount. It was something like 2 or 2-1/2 inches.
There is no issue with it.

Good to hear! I plan on running a phenolic spacer at the carb base and possibly a second aluminum spacer as well. I am glad I have a lot of space so I can add in a spacer at the filter base as well. That should get the filter up into the scoop itself at that point though! Hahaha

Top feed air filter like the K&N extreme filter top?
This is what I think your ref'ing.

I run one one my 360 w/a 750 Edelbrock. I have the required clearance recommend by K&N above the carb. I forget the clearance amount. It was something like 2 or 2-1/2 inches.
There is no issue with it.

You are correct, same top feed filter... I am just now wrapping up adding my new hood with scoop which will be sealed to the air cleaner. 100% of the air will come from the scoop now.... that was my concern with the claim of the turbulance issue which would only be worse with my new setup.

Hopefully its not an issue and i can take advantage of the fresh air now...

I ran one with no ill effects

Attachments

• 71 Demon 340 (14).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 259
Didn't notice any difference with the flow through top. The whole air pan setup did make a difference with my 71 twin scoop hood! BTW the setup is for sale

Are you running a functional scoop?the hood opening will also make a difference.
I have been running my car at the track and have found some things going on,as I run a hemi style scoop.I have changed out 3 different manifolds STR12,Mopar M1 and presently running my RPM air gap with a 950HP and the open element K&N.I have a large opening in the hood as I had a pan that went on it with the crossram and the 2 velocity stacks and just the filter part showed inside the scoop and it worked really good.
I feel that when I ran the car with air gap two weeks ago I was getting a top end lean miss and later in the day a member here and a good friend of mine(Fanofpetty)stopped in the pits and we got talking about something and I pulled the air cleaner off and noticed right away that fuel had gotten up by the secondary air bleeds.Makes me feel that the air is rushing thru that open top and pulling the fuel up.The lid is just below the the hood line with a 1 inch spacer on top of the air gap.I am working on making a drop pan for the hood and have made small air horn that is attached to the air cleaner base.Hope to get up to the track in a few weeks and see if I can't get this thing to drop a couple of tenths:glasses7:
Oh ya,I don't gain anything if I run it without my air cleaner so I figure its getting plenty of air:cheers:

-
Back