• Tanner

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Rutledge

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • none (keep them all)

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
-
Check out Netflix for Top Gear U.K. they have all the seasons streaming.

For the latest automotive news check out http://www.autolinedetroit.tv for daily updates, weekly in depth show and Autoline After Hours.

Also featured Openline and Round About plus reviews.

Yep, Tanner is a drift champion, professional ralley driver, a paid stunt driver... Clearly he is mediocre. I did catch one UK Top Gear episode on YouTube about the '68 Charger, or part of it. Was decent.

If you're gonna Youtube UK's Top Gear, check out the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz "Star in a reasonable priced car" segment. It was a total hoot.

You're right he 'just drifts'. Rally driver (dirt, pavement, rain, snow, mud, river crossings) is much LESS challenging than racing on a prepared surface with enough downforce to hold the car in the air if it were flipped over! Suddenly I am seeing your point on how terrible he is! He should move to ONE series and be an also-ran in it to be 'great'!
I will have to check out the episodes on Netflix. Quite a few people have said the banter and humor are great on the UK version. Funny we have to rip off UK tv programming, though! I guess we are low on creativity over here? Lol.

You're right he 'just drifts'. Rally driver (dirt, pavement, rain, snow, mud, river crossings) is much LESS challenging than racing on a prepared surface with enough downforce to hold the car in the air if it were flipped over! Suddenly I am seeing your point on how terrible he is! He should move to ONE series and be an also-ran in it to be 'great'!
I will have to check out the episodes on Netflix. Quite a few people have said the banter and humor are great on the UK version. Funny we have to rip off UK tv programming, though! I guess we are low on creativity over here? Lol.

For a quick perspective on the UK version. On Youtube is the 60 minutes (the news show) coverage of the show. It's kind of an inside look.

Settle down, Big Shooter. Rather be in the big show than driving around in a Fiesta. BTW, lil tanner never driven in a WCR just in the X games big whoop. I'd take a Formula 1 driver any day, considering they do race in the rain and drive on unprepared regular road surfaces as well, ever see the Gran Prix of Monaco? But I guess driving on some dirt makes you better or driving in a circle.

Actually, I'm not excited. Mildly amused, really. He drove in the American Rally Championships. Ummmm, I would say turning left has far less talent involved then driving through forests, countrysides, mountain passes, snow, ect...
So to clarify, I don't wanna get it wrong; driving on one non prepared course a year and then turning left with a hand built car is more challenging then going over the river and through the woods and across the field? Sound about right?
I enjoy a stirring debate as much as the next guy!

BTW, Formula One, CART, or Indy cars are the 'big show'? Interesting. Must be why everyone is flocking from NASCRAP oops, NASCAR, to open wheel.

BTW, Formula One, CART, or Indy cars are the 'big show'? Interesting. Must be why everyone is flocking from NASCRAP oops, NASCAR, to open wheel.

Actually, I prefer an open bar.

I like the show. It is entertaining watching others run the heck out of cars I will never have a chance of driving. The competitons are fun. I wish I had a couple thousand to spend once in a while and set up similar competitions with friends...Wouldn't it be great. OK we all have $3000 buy something and we will see who can do XXXX. I like both the UK version because the main host is great. I like the US version as well. As far as Adam being a drag on the show....his best move was the attempted double jump in the caddy where he bent the frame. I chuckled a while on that....I don't care it was entertainment.

Yes that was certainly a redeeming moment, but my beef is that he went with a big boaty caddy from the beginning. For being a car enthusiast show, Adam Ferrara seems to pick cars(in the challenges) that are almost universally disliked by car enthusiasts.

oh what i wouldn't give to see the majority of people in this country make the switch from nascrap to a real motorsport. Imagine, bars having watchable races, tv stations hosting watchable races on the weekednds....ahhhh(i can dream)

Personally, I dont find any of the hosts personable or notable. I admit part of the Brit version's appeal is it's fresh in that even the language and descriptions are new to us "Continentals". But they have a much better and intelligent way about them, even when doing stupid stuff that makes even the worst UK version way more appealing to me. This was an attempt at making a UK show interesting to the US viewer. They would have done better to start fresh and just take the concept, because this show just sucks. Find some hosts with genuine personality, greater intelligence, and sharper wit, and be creative. I'll watch the UK TG every chance I get, including reruns. I've seen two of the US ones and parts of others. It's just painful.

Personally, I dont find any of the hosts personable or notable. I admit part of the Brit version's appeal is it's fresh in that even the language and descriptions are new to us "Continentals". But they have a much better and intelligent way about them, even when doing stupid stuff that makes even the worst UK version way more appealing to me. This was an attempt at making a UK show interesting to the US viewer. They would have done better to start fresh and just take the concept, because this show just sucks. Find some hosts with genuine personality, greater intelligence, and sharper wit, and be creative. I'll watch the UK TG every chance I get, including reruns. I've seen two of the US ones and parts of others. It's just painful.

I think a good portion of the problem is in the US sensitivities. Us colonials are so PC and worried about offending anyone (and being sued for it). The Brit show really could care less. It's strange that THEY have the freedom to say what they want.

That may be it, but if Spike can get away with the crap they show, seems to me that's part of the model.
The funniest deal was when the UK guys bought used cars and drove to New Orleans. Got chased out of town, and sued for misrepresentation if the story line was accurate. Sounds just like the US...lol.

What appeals to me about the UK (original) version is that the three hosts come from different professional backgrounds that are not related to professional racing. Their individual personalities work well because they match some of the various people that we encounter on a daily basis. They argue like guys do at a pub or bar in a manner that many of us can relate to because we have argued like that in some fashion over some particular topic. Their resident pro driver, The Stig, is used as the highest standard that the hosts or guests can compare themselves to in any vehicle. It's hilarious when they come to the USofA and roll out a fat American "Stig" for a NASCAR track or when they went to Africa and rolled out a very skinny African "Stig" in a helmet and a loin cloth.

The US version employs pro drivers that I do not relate to because I don't drive professionally. They remind me of some of the irritating gearheads that I used to encounter when I hung around the street racing crowd i.e. not fun to be around. I would tune in if the American version replaced the hosts with some non-pro drivers and recreated The Cannonball run in a clandestine manner.

The one thing I do not like about the UK version is they do not do enough coverage of American cars and when they do they bash on them and for the most part have nothing nice to say about them. Other than that I like the show though.

Give me the UK version any day! Better hosts, better rapport, better cars (yeah, I'll catch some crap), and always entertaining. I got hooked during the Memorial Day marathon -- 72 hours of UKTG. Thennnnn the US version came out and it was time to hurl.

Oh for the love of god, the thought of Leanna hurling is too much to bare. Cancel the US version now. (Although, she didn't indicate if tequila was involved).

Oh wait. I just had a great idea. They can do a challenge driving porcelin buses....

Oh for the love of god, the thought of Leanna hurling is too much to bare. Cancel the US version now. (Although, she didn't indicate if tequila was involved).

Now that you mention it Rev, I think tequila WAS involved at my last porcelain-chapel-worshipping session ... many many years ago.

I got hooked on the UK version a couple years ago then saw the US version and hated it instantly get new hosts for the US version and it might make it.

Id much rather watch the original British Top Gear. Wayy more entertaining

the US guys act/look like they have never seen each other and read off a script... they try to be funny and arnt...

the UK trio are funny! they flow together as a team... and the stuff that comes out of there mouths just kills me some times!

the british version is way way better (it has more laughs). at least they dont put fish tanks in the trunk or "fake" arguements like alot of other car shows. i would still rather watch the "power block shows".

my $.02

-
Back