? topping up tranny fluid 904

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
As some of you know i have finally got my Dart running. I need to know the following. The trany (904) of course low on fluid as well as the torqu converter was real low. How much fluid total? Run the engine in nuetral correct? how long do you need to run it to check if its now full? thanks for any help

run it until warm, check the dipstick in neutral/running....dipstick has levels marked...use proper fluid..not new stuff

Hey Ed, start in neutral, but make sure there is some fluid in it. Once car is warmed up, run the shifter thru the gears slowly. The car really should be driven a few miles, then checked in neutral with the tranny warm.

Somewhere in the order of 8 to 9 quarts. Yes start the car, put trans in neutral and let it warm up and check the level.

Thanks all, it has tranny fluid in it. Wasnt sure how long to run it to check...LOL Steve. Garage door will be open but aint goin no wheres fast...........Got a 3 foot snow drift in front of the garage door. At least something soft if it flies out of the garage LMAO, Brakes were gravitty fed and bled so i shoud have some anyway

Funny Ed, very little snow here, but back home is f'n crazy!!
Just be careful, you MAY do some damage if you overfill it.

Thats exactly why i posted.........Thanks man. BTW im in for moparfest this year, even if i have to walk..LOL

I seen that!:blob: You will have a blast....yer "liver warning" light will be on....LOL...No need for walking either, Im going this year for sure and if your dart isnt ready, you can hop in with me....just put yer Daisy Dukes on...

I seen that!:blob: You will have a blast....yer "liver warning" light will be on....LOL...No need for walking either, Im going this year for sure and if your dart isnt ready, you can hop in with me....just put yer Daisy Dukes on...

If that happens make sure you take pictures!!!! LOL

I worked at an oil express in the old days.

After doing a trans service (fluid & filter) we would fill it while running and in neutral to the top of the line on the stick. Then get in the car and shift back and forth between reverse, 1, reverse, 2, reverse, D, reverse. Repeat a few times. Then recheck the fluid. This would help the fluid completely fill the trans.

I worked at an oil express in the old days.

After doing a trans service (fluid & filter) we would fill it while running and in neutral to the top of the line on the stick. Then get in the car and shift back and forth between reverse, 1, reverse, 2, reverse, D, reverse. Repeat a few times. Then recheck the fluid. This would help the fluid completely fill the trans.
Thanks man, makes sense going back and forth. Its been a long, long time for all this and i dont need anymore set backs. Especially being this close

Steve, thats fine but no tramp stamp or thong though...LMAO

-
Back