Torker 2 340 VS ?????

-

dartjack

Reaction score
I have been searching the old posts for info on the Torker 2 340. Seems some of you have unkind of things to say about it. Is there an upside to owning/using one? I have one and am considering using it. It will be on a 318 with 360 1.88 heads with some "home improvements". Comp around 9.5. 750/850 size carb. 285/485 cam, headers and no restriction(minimal) exhaust. 3.73 gears, lo 1st in trans, 26/27 in tires. 2500 converter. I don't have a problem keeping it turned up and looking for 6500/7000 redline. It will be a weekend car - short trip and maybe an occasional blast for kicks. Any opinions welcome. FYI I also have 360/383/400/440 engines on the floor. The 318 is the first engine it will have though. Hopefully 1 or more will have a home in the Dart in the future. Lets hear it!

Mopar Muscle small block intake dyno test.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0108_dyno_testing_small_block_intakes/

Just my opinions:

* Original Torker 340 is junk. Torker II is better, but not for a 318. Go dual plane.

* 850 is way to big for any small block you'd use with your combo and a 750 double pump wouldn't be a good idea for 318 either unless it's vacuum secondaries or you go with the 360.

* 7000 would be unnecessary wear & tear with no benefits even with mildly ported stock heads and that small cam. Build for a 6500 redline.

I second the a I've with a added note.

That cam goes to 6K. That's it! Done!

You'll most never ever have to spin the s. MoPar past 6500 in most cases of street bound cars. Ma y quick strip rides do not turn it up that high. Should you rev past 6500 without the oiling mods in your block and pump, well, you'll just start eating up bearings and destroying your engine.

IMO, the TorkerII is not so bad for a on the cheap intake and/or a high rpm launching ride. The RPM delivers more torque down low for excellent street manors. The TorquerII is fine if your ignoring torque below 3000/3500.

So, if your launching your car at 3000+ RPM, this intake will do fine.
If your driving around town with it, you'll be done on torque.

I had and have them . You gotta scream em. But thats what I do so they suit me. My favorite SB intake is a LD340. But they are old school and what I have and is what I am using on My new build. Yes I would like a air gap but I am going to grind the LD340 off and paint it orange. I want the factory look.

Allthough I am a fan of the torker II I dont think it is for your package. I ran one on a 9-1 pump gas 360 with a 305 H comp cam and it worked well but this was with a manual transmission leaving at 4500 and shifting at 5800. I would go dual plane on your 318 and automatic.

Leave that"LD340" on the intake and paint it...it will be period correct

Hello Jack. Man, every post before me is spot on......I actually built a combo in the 70's on another brand that virtually mirrors what your talking about. I was sucessful with it, only because i knew the pro's and limitations of the combo. I could get long winded about it, but let's just say.....use a dual plane intake. The RPM, LD340 and the Weiand Stealth would be much better overall choices.......Another thing to consider is the low 1st gear. While it helps with launch, the rpm drop on the 1-2 shift is severe and you really need a broad torque curve to pull coming up out of 2nd, especially with only 318 cubes and a 3.31 stroke.

I don't care for the original torker but the torker 2 isn't bad, on the right application. But as mentioned already it's not really suited for your teen. First off it's a large port intake like 340/360's use so it'll be a mismatch to your small port 318 heads. Second your lil teen needs more help in the torque area than the upper rpm range. Especially with the cam your talking about and only a 2500 stall. Even though you state it's a weekend fun car you still want it to run it's best and for that reason I wouldn't even consider using a single plane intake with mis-matched runners on it. And there's absolutely no need for anything bigger than a 750 vac. secondary on your teen. Most likely a 650 is plenty. Heck I'm running a 750 double pumper on a hot 408 and it's pretty much all it needs. Basically I'm echoing most everything that's already been said, LOL

I think it's not a bad setup.....I mean, hey, you've already GOT it! I think what you described seems like a nicely setup motor. I'd scream it's eyeballs out too!

Fishy, the heads are 360 port matched. The hp/tq charts in the mani test posted were not that skewed to the dual plane. Looking to make up top power. Don't want/need a bunch before 3k. Get me into trouble cruising around town. 318 2v would be plenty in our speed trap. Thanks to all. Keep up the spirited conversation!

Fishy, the heads are 360 port matched. The hp/tq charts in the mani test posted were not that skewed to the dual plane. Looking to make up top power. Don't want/need a bunch before 3k. Get me into trouble cruising around town. 318 2v would be plenty in our speed trap. Thanks to all. Keep up the spirited conversation!

Sorry I overlooked the part about the heads your using. That being the case it won't be a mis-match. If you don't want high low end torque that's your decision. I myself love torque. That's why I built a 408. I rarely even have to downshift to blow a lot of guys in the weeds while their getting it wound up to 6K, LOL... I looked at the test charts and see it starts at 3000 rpm which is a little higher than your stall converter, if yours actually stalls that high. Remember torque input has a lot to do with stall speed so it may even stall a hundred or two more with the dual plane vs. a single plane. It also doesn't give a figure for the T2 at 3000 so all you have to go by is the 3200 rpm figure. My guess is if your converter does stall 2800 the T2 will give up about 25 lbs. ft of torque down low which is quite a bit. But again if you don't want torque, just something that screams up top it'll work. Your tires will last a lot longer that way too, LOL...

Looking at the chart I see the Eddy RPM dual plane made the exact same horsepower at the top end as both single plane intakes, but with as much as 20 lbs. ft. more torque all the way to 4600.

This sounds alot like my current setup. I'm running the original Torker on my 318, but it has J heads that were port matched and 2.02 intakes installed. 1.6 Roller rockers, 650 double pump, and comp .494 cam, headers, 2.5" exhaust. I'm running a 4 speed with 3.91sg, but I think the Torker does just fine. I spend most of my time above 2500rpm anyway, and I spin it to 6500 when I'm getting carried away. Hell of a lot better than the Streetmaster I took off of it!

I'm thinking that the low torque will keep the tires hooked up for a couple of car lengths----maybe. After that it should make things happen. Had a B body combo years ago that had 2.0 LESS comp! It kept the tires under it and screamed across the finish line(1/4) at 6700. It had a stock /6 converter and 5.57 out back. 30/9 slicks. NO ONE believed it was a 318. Overall looking at 50/75 more hp and less weight. I love to take the road less traveled. If we all used the same combos we'd all be running chebbies. Yuk! Gotta go. BFH might get that image outta my brain. Gonna get wife to help with that. I'm sure she'll enjoy it!

PS: Fishy, it looks like you might be old school too from your cam choice.

OcDartjack,interesting post.The latest whiz bang crapolla , doesn't always work. You need to learn cams ,before,you make that decision. I have 20 + ,in Mopars ,Fishy ,reminds me.That solid cam,might kick some ***! Learn some more,I dare you...

Just FYI I've been a Mopar nut since I was 11. Just turned 62. Response to Fishy et-al, is that I too believe that new and improved is sometimes just hype. Anyone here remember the NEW Coke? I think some (most) of the old tech is far better than some of the new widgets. Has anyone done better than 100% VE that the old cross rams did? I haven't seen any ads that make a claim that they are actually creating boost with an intake manifold. Would love to have a 30" cross ram for a small block with FI thrown into the mix.The Magnum barrel manifold is a curled "modern" version of the ram manifold. My projects are now based on cost, performance and maybe a little "pretty" factor, in that order. Basic reason for aluminum manifold is weight. Not quite as spry as I used to be. Also trying to get weight to the rear tires. Cast iron in front don't help. (My butt is having trouble getting my belt overhang out of the recliner too.) Anyway this is just history and one old mans thoughts about it. Most important is that we communicate and keep Ma Mopar on top and enjoy the ride. Thanks guys.

LD340 all the way, from experience it has been my absolute favorite!

ABody, look up old school in the dictionary, my picture is next to it. It's kind of refreshing to know someone regards me as "younger" generation. If I were independantly rich I'd find an old Isky 1012 grind just to check out 60 years of new and improved. Best engines I've had were from Johnny Cash Cadillac mismatched parts. Desighner jeans and keeping up with the Jonses are not my style(if I had any style). I'm a run what ya brung kinda guy. Or what is laying around the garage collecting dust. 45 years ago I had no problem buying new hype stuff. Most were crap. Now I spend for proven results, mostly repeats of stuff I know works. The cam specs I mentioned are for the 284 Purple Shaft by the way. Might give up a small percentage of hp but I like the way they work. Bought my first one in the early eighties. I'm keeping some of my build details under wraps because most people would scratch their heads and look at me funny. All will come to light when it fires and runs---or sputters. I'm not secretive person and definitly not bashful about my mistakes. Worst mistake was owning half of a Chebbie. There, now I'm exposed to the world!!!! BTW, I have a warped/unconventional sense of humor. I have not bashed any of you guys and wouldn't. If a remark of mine sounds like a bash just reads it sideways and laugh. That is the only way I would ever want it to be. Did I mention I am the only person I've ever heard tell of who built a sbc with a redline of 5500? I'll save that one for another post.

-
Back