Torker 340 Intake Value

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Torker 340 listed for $100 locally. Appears to be in good shape. Is it worth it?

I would have No problem using that old torker.It's far from a doorstop or a wall hanger.It's just inexperience,the 8 hp you loose down low what would cause those who haven't been around that long run from what think is a poor intake.
:lol:

$100 seems fair. Running one on my Duster 340, 727, 3500 stall. 4.30 gears and it works very well.

Beers ago, when I was dropping in a mildly built 318 into my 72 Dumpster, I had to decide between the the Performer or Torker. Since I mostly cruised around town with an occasional high speed blast now & then I went with the Performer.... with a Edelbrock 650 4bbl Great combo

when I was looking recently, real recently, the offers I got were well over 100 (shall we say 150-175??) plus shipping. And that wasn't the torker II

Torker 340 listed for $100 locally. Appears to be in good shape. Is it worth it?
IMO, I’d use the TorkerII 340. The original Torker will hang on a cable far away for target practice.

IF your building on a thin thin budget, it’ll work fine for you and what it is.

I would have No problem using that old torker.It's far from a doorstop or a wall hanger.It's just inexperience,the 8 hp you loose down low what would cause those who haven't been around that long run from what think is a poor intake.
:lol:
They are a GREAT intake with a stick shift car. Automatics will appreciate a good converter with the old torker, still good though.

I ran the old Torker 340 for years. It's not as horrible as some people say, but it's the exact intake people were warning you about when you said you were going with a single plane... "You'll be trading low RPM power for high RPM power!!"

A good modern single plane intake is much less of a compromise; in most cases the low end power you lose over something like a dual plane Performer or M1 won't be noticeable with a modern single plane.

I eventually removed the Torker 340 and put on an LD340. Big time increase in low end power, but a slight decrease in the upper RPM ranges (upper, like 4600 and higher).

IMO, I’d use the TorkerII 340. The original Torker will hang on a cable far away for target practice.

IF your building on a thin thin budget, it’ll work fine for you and what it is.
ahhh the days of rattle bomb building a motor on a beer budget over the weekend. a torker freshly plucked from the scorched earth junkyard with janky adapter and a TQ from a truck you picked up on the way out to the cashier.

slap that sillyness onto a stock compression 318 and slide in a 509 MP bumpstick, send it thru a stock 904 with the line pressure jacked up and end it with a 3.23 peg leg.

wonder why it don't have enough power to pull a drunk ***** off a piss pot, and then grin ear to ear when the TQ 2ndaries hit WFO at 55mph and it feels like it's either gonna take off or all come apart.

In the 70's, my brother's '72 340 Demon was torn down and built - on top was a 850 Holley DP and a torker. Beat BB chivies, and about anything else that ever came by.

the dyno test 273 posted
the torker 340 made more then holley strip dom and pulled ahead of the airgap@4500
Hardly a door stop if you are running a 4k stall its better it does what its rated to do
69 cuda notch 340 stock cam 355s 727 tm5 700dp 50s street tires the rest stock no headers bracket raced 20 yrs 13.1@104

ahhh the days of rattle bomb building a motor on a beer budget over the weekend. a torker freshly plucked from the scorched earth junkyard with janky adapter and a TQ from a truck you picked up on the way out to the cashier.

slap that sillyness onto a stock compression 318 and slide in a 509 MP bumpstick, send it thru a stock 904 with the line pressure jacked up and end it with a 3.23 peg leg.

wonder why it don't have enough power to pull a drunk ***** off a piss pot, and then grin ear to ear when the TQ 2ndaries hit WFO at 55mph and it feels like it's either gonna take off or all come apart.
Ahhhhhhhhh, them were the days….. oh yea, I remember them fondly. It felt like I found a thousand year old Millennium Falcon slapped together with duct tape and bubble gum shaking to the high heavens approaching dangerous speeds and the drunken lot of us screaming…. Some screaming in fear, some screaming in a chant - faster, faaaaster, FASTER, FAAAASSSSTER!!!!!

I have to say honestly, I don’t know what made more noise, the screams or the rattling of the car.

Ahhhhhhhhh, them were the days….. oh yea, I remember them fondly. It felt like I found a thousand year old Millennium Falcon slapped together with duct tape and bubble gum shaking to the high heavens approaching dangerous speeds and the drunken lot of us screaming…. Some screaming in fear, some screaming in a chant - faster, faaaaster, FASTER, FAAAASSSSTER!!!!!

I have to say honestly, I don’t know what made more noise, the screams or the rattling of the car.
screams of terror, screams of delight. potato, potahto.

I actually stacked a street Dominator against the action plus and factory cast TQ intake on a 318 with a summit cam. The slowest ET/MPH was the SD. Action plus came in second, and the factory cast TQ intake actually made the best ET and MPH. HOwever, all were within about a tenth and a half. I think sometimes a little too much gets made out of street intakes.

100 bucks. I have one I picked up for 100 4 years ago. As far as wall art or door stop a bad combination ,gearing,tire diameter ,converter, and weight will make that intake bad. But with the right combination it can work.

screams of terror, screams of delight. potato, potahto.
And the bottom of the page camshaft! LMAO!!!!
I actually stacked a street Dominator against the action plus and factory cast TQ intake on a 318 with a summit cam. The slowest ET/MPH was the SD. Action plus came in second, and the factory cast TQ intake actually made the best ET and MPH. HOwever, all were within about a tenth and a half. I think sometimes a little too much gets made out of street intakes.
100 bucks. I have one I picked up for 100 4 years ago. As far as wall art or door stop a bad combination ,gearing,tire diameter ,converter, and weight will make that intake bad. But with the right combination it can work.
Agreed and true. As I said above, it would be for my target practice. Also if the budget is low… go for it.

And the bottom of the page camshaft! LMAO!!!!

always go with the one nearest the bottom in the PAW catalog. and swap the springs? surely you jest! that's like another two 12 packs in cost and time. so by beer maths, that's like another $39.52 out of the budget!

-
Back