Torker intakes...my personal ratings (all makes)

-

OldmanRick

Reaction score
I know the T340 is pretty much loathed on SBM's by todays standard, but some manifolds of that particular design were pretty decent.....

Being they were so popular in the 70's, and I had much of my experience back then working on and tuning many cars with these intakes.....Here's my thought's.....

Torker's from best to worst...

#1) The SBC ... Very strong overall with a little converter & gear.
#2) The 351C ... Worked well on 4bbl engines. They needed some gear regardless.
#3) The AMC ... Was very happy on the 390/401 cars, AMX/Javelin.
#4) The BBC ... I personally hated it, but was strong...on the right combo.
#5) The Olds ... Very stout on a 455 with a well tuned Q-jet & at least a mid 3 series gear.
#6) The 340 ... Kind of a poor intake overall. Very flat down low & too small to make real power upstairs.
#7) The Pontiac ... Horrible! Stock D port heads just couldn't make reasonable power/tq using that intake without a ton of head work.

P.S. The BBM Torker's worked well on several cars I've seen, I just never had any personal experience with them.

I guess I posted this just for conversation... I know some of the older members have been around other makes also and maybe had some experience with some of these engines. Bench racing, your experiences, general comments, whatever, is welcome?

The torker II on my 360 about 400 hp was better than the holley strip dominator.

I like the original Torker 340 ok. It's nowhere near as suck *** as the Torker II 340.

I like the original Torker 340 ok.

Well, I have always heard the opposite most of the time.

I have one, and was going to scrap it because of all of the negative comments I have read here and elsewhere.

So is it worth keeping?

Of course it is. Build a car and match all the components with the intake and it will work fine. It's a single plane intake. We all know what parts go with those. As with anything, in its element it works alright.

Are there better intakes out there? Well yeah. But if I had one and was building a small block, I wouldn't buy another one just to replace it.

I guess I'll keep er for a bit then. I don't know if I'll ever use it, but ya just never know.

Send it to me if you don't want it. LOL

My comments were for the "original" Torker intakes. I've never had any dealings with the II.

Bruce, don't scrap your T340. Imo, it can work on a engine built to really focus power in the 3500/5500 range with a smallish 600/650 carb and still have a old school look. That said, the numbers from a RPM would probably kill it. :D

The torker II has the nice sweeping runners into the head. the old torker has the odd dog leg right before the head. I have always heard the new torker II makes more HP. I liked the II with a 1/2" 4 hole spacer!

My comments were for the "original" Torker intakes. I've never had any dealings with the II.

Bruce, don't scrap your T340. Imo, it can work on a engine built to really focus power in the 3500/5500 range with a smallish 600/650 carb and still have a old school look. That said, the numbers from a RPM would probably kill it. :D

Ditto

My TorkerII 340 work well with a 600/650. Not so great with a 750 & down low.
Love my RPM.though. Anytime I seen a dyno test, the torque output was low against the RPM. It picks up in the mid range. High gears and stall needed.

Hey, if nothing else, it would make a nice centerpiece for the table. :D

Attachments

• Torker1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 138
Put it inside / under a glass table top.

I got rid of mine back around 1990 and replaced it with a Weiand Accelarator man that was a big difference.

I ran a Torker 340(early version) with a 650 DP on my 340 with 4-speed and 3.91 and thought it ran great.

-
Back