Torque Boxes? Do I need them

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Does anybody have a pictures of what torque boxes look like? What I'm looking for in the pictures is before and after shot of installed Torque Boxes. Also should I (order first) install Torque Boxes before or after the Subframe connectors? The one I'm talking about (for both) are made by US Tool. This car is a Street/Strip but will see more Street. Car has built 340/727/8.75 with 3.23 SG(Clutch) and 3.91 SG(Clutch).Thanks in advance!

My non-expert opinion is that you would derive much more benefit from sub-frame connectors than from torque boxes. I say this because the connectors will substantially reduce body flexing when cornering, a lot of which you will be doing on the street. Now, as I understand it, torque boxes will provide more benefit in a car with a high-torque big block and a set of sticky slicks.

However, there are more people on this site that are more expert on this subject.

Do you need them??..thats up to you, the subframe connectors should be just fine i know i've never used torque boxes,and no one that i race with uses them either you'd be surprised how much the connectors alone stiffin up the car..

I have sub-frame connectors and it was amazing how much it stiffened the car up. Before I installed them I could jack the car up at the torsion bar cross member or the front spring mount and wouldn't be able to open the door or if it was open the latch would be off by 1/2". Now with them I jack at either point and both wheels come off the ground at all most the same time and the door opens and closes easily. The other very noticeable thing is the squeaks, rattles and grown of a 40 year old car were dramatically reduced.

As for Torque boxes the factory installed them in convertibles and big block cars and didn't install frame connectors so there must be a significant amount of stiffening. It's on my list to install both front and rear torque boxes but just haven't gotten around to it.

Anything that stiffens the chassis will allow the suspension to work better and will reduce rattles and squeaks so I would say it's worth it.

I do believe that tork boxes came with four speed cars and as 340 cars as well. I have a factory 340 4 speed car and it has factory boxes. I do want to install frame connectors as well. Maybe this fall. Just my 2 cents..

Thanks for the info and the link. I think I might just make some my self if I do the torque boxes.

-
Back