Torque Converter/Engine Disconnect

-

PikaPhantom

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently in the middle of trying to yank out the 318 engine for a rebuild out of a 1970 dodge dart with automatic transmission. I'm trying to take the engine out without the transmission and I'm stuck on how the torqueflite converter is suppose to be unbolted because it looks a little different from what I'm use to seeing.

thanks

Hi all, I am currently in the middle of trying to yank out the 318 engine for a rebuild out of a 1970 dodge dart with automatic transmission. I'm trying to take the engine out without the transmission and I'm stuck on how the torqueflite converter is suppose to be unbolted because it looks a little different from what I'm use to seeing.

thanks
I can be very difficult to get to and out the bell housing bolts. Sometimes it's just that much easier to pull the engine and tranny together. Anyways...there are 4 bolts that hold the converter to the flex plate. These should be removed first and then push the converter back into the bell housing (about an inch or so, maybe less) then the bell housing bolts. You should pull the starter too. You will need to support the front of the tranny and probably have to pry the engine and tranny apart with a screwdriver.

I agree with dart_68, above. It would really be easiest to pull both as a unit. Especially when you look ahead to reconnecting the 'new' engine to the tranny in the car. It can be difficult to do without damaging your input seal, and then you'd end up having to pull the tranny anyway. If you pull both as a unit, you can also replace any bad seals, etc. in the tranny very easily.

thanks

Question.......what does not "look" right

IMOP it is not easier to pull engine and tranny as a unit, engine by itself is straight up and down in and out of engine compartment, put a floor jack under tranny for support and angle adjustment. Your mounts are biscuit style; remove mounts from engine; you can bolt them back in after engine is in and you have bell housing bolts installed, with the mounts removed it gives you more wiggle room.

-
Back