Torque converter Interchange

-

Black_Betty

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, I need to know if a tc from a small block 904 will work in a big block 727. I'm changing from a 318 to a 383 and the 383 had a 4500 stall. I may change to a more street able cam and thus, the TC. Since my 318 tc is good, I figured maybe use it. THANKS.

No. The 904 is a smaller unit in all regards. The valve bodies will swap if you change the park arm.

Not only are the drive snouts different ,but each has its own family.
In the 904 family, there are at least 3 different internal turbine,splines and two different crank-hub sizes.
In the 727 family, there are at least two different turbine splines.

For 727s the last year for the old style TC was 66, so chances of running into it are pretty slim. But there is a date code as well as a PN on the tranny pan rail. Get those numbers to prove yours is a 67up trans. Then after your engine plan is finalized,order up a new TC based on the manufacturers recomendations.
Post your numbers.Someone will decode them.

If you don't already have a tranny, I recommend one with a part throttle kick-down(73ish up), or any post 71 unit. These have the best features.

I will have to look into that. The block is a 1966 casting, so the chances just went up a bit. Hopefully it is a newer one.

Doesn't really matter what year the engine is as all big blocks used the same hub/register size. What matters is what year the trans is.

-
Back