Torque Converter Manufacturers/Builders

-
Your 408 will be more stout than mine as I have Eddie RPM heads. 251/255@050 cam. 4.10 gear with 28" slick. Unported Super Victor intake which everyone here says is not that great.

Car runs 11.teens @118. 5000 stall from an 8" ATI TreeMaster TC. I hold it at 1900-2000 rpm to stage it then mash the pedal and hang on!!

Drives on the street like any other torque converter - have to keep your foot on the brake at idle (1000 rpm), no "mushy" feeling, etc, etc. You would never know it is a high stall converter. Trans temp typically in the 160-170F range when driving on the street. At the track, it leaves the line around 150-160 and hits 180 at the end of the track. By the time I get back to my pit, temp is typically back down around 150-160.
View attachment 1716111636
Is the 8" ATI converter an off the shelf 5000 stall? Or do you need to custom order it? Seems like a very nice piece. Would it be a good street/strip choice for a 360 with a 292 purple cam and 3.91's out back? I currently have an FTI 3400-3600 stall converter.

A 400hp car with a 4500 converter will be in front of a 600hp car with a 3000 at 60ft, assuming enough traction. It wouldn't surprise me to find it in front at the eighth too.

and again...cam specs, or did i miss them?
IMG_1243.jpeg

Is the 8" ATI converter an off the shelf 5000 stall? Or do you need to custom order it? Seems like a very nice piece. Would it be a good street/strip choice for a 360 with a 292 purple cam and 3.91's out back? I currently have an FTI 3400-3600 stall converter.
Good street set up. Track wise, it lacks.

First, to answer your question, I called ATI and went over the details with them to get this TC. I believe you should do that regardless of what TC brand you want to use. Why would anyone not take advantage of their expertise??!!

As to whether it is good for your application, I would first call them and see what they recommend for you. You have a bit less cam and displacement than me so you may need something a bit tighter - maybe in the 4500 rpm range. A rule of thumb is you typically want the stall speed about 1200+/- rpm below your shift speed so you could figure yours accordingly. But let them or some others on here suggest that. Note that my TC would probably stall lower in your application as I suspect my 408 is a higher torque engine than yours. I've had my converter for 2+ years and have had no issues with it.

Give 'em a call - and good luck regardless of what you decide!!

I got a custom 10" tight converter from Coan Racing. I have not been able to put it in the car yet but dealing with them over email and the phone was fantastic could not have asked for a better experience. I was on vacation the week that it was completed and supposed to be shipped. They had no problem holding off on the shipping till the following week that way it was not just sitting at my house outside.

Tx Rumble and RR...i was looking for a post from 70Dart in the thread. I'm outa' my league
with those numbers and have no idea for his converter.

Tx Rumble and RR...i was looking for a post from 70Dart in the thread. I'm outa' my league
with those numbers and have no idea for his converter.
Your welcome. IMO….

For a street car where you’re not worried about much of anything, you could make a blind choice of a 3500 and it would work. While I wouldn’t call it a great choice. When you call up a place for the converter to be custom built as per your specifics and hopefully a dyno sheet they can see, they’ll know just what to do for best results in the specific application your telling them on what your doing.

You and your best bud can build identical engines but use them for different things, like absolute street driver for you and track only for your buddy, you’ll get two very different converters!

The more information you supply the better the result. Hide nothing, tell all, no secrets from your converter guy. You’ll forget the price paid though the years of excellence in service in your car. Guarantee it.

Torque converters are an interesting integral part to a build. I had two 8“ converters in my 727 days. The 5800 stall was tight and I’d run up on it from my 3800 two step off my trans brake and 60 in the mid 1.2’s….. and it would run like a scalded dog “if“ it hooked. Off data from that one we had another built which slowed the car slightly, but printed a stack of 1.34 60 times. It was a phenomenal bracket car in that era. I might try to see about doing that with my 904 now.

I ran a dynamic 9 1/2" in a warm 340. It drove nice for the most part and supplied lo end torque
lost to a 224 / 230 duration cam. I did get tired of "driving through" it coming out of corners and
down hills. I now prefer a stock at 340 converter around 2300 rpm stall.

PTC is who I went with. Before I ordered, I called 3 different converter builders and PTC was the only one that gave me the time of day so they earned my business. If that wasn't enough, they took the time to go over my build specs prior to recommending the right converter for the combo. Took payment and in 1 weeks time, the converter showed up. Keep in mind, I am in Washington State which is the opposite corner of the country from PTC.

Great products and customer service goes a long way in my book.

I witnessed such a debacle involving multiple PTC converters I’d have a hard time ever calling them….. I know everyone has a bad day but seeing a guy pull his trans like 6 times over leaking or broken converters (plus 2 that were not usable out of the box…. Splines inside bad and one pump drive hub mounted too high). He did attest to the outstanding customer service as they actually made him another converter to send him while he was removing another bad one. Think the final straw was getting the trans put back in, towed 11 hours to Vegas, drove the car to tech and back to the trailer. Was checking fluid then went up on the brake…… and the converter broke. He went ATI after that and made a few races before parking and then selling the car.

I do see quite a few people that love them though.…. but I just couldn’t go there.

Your welcome. IMO….

For a street car where you’re not worried about much of anything, you could make a blind choice of a 3500 and it would work. While I wouldn’t call it a great choice. When you call up a place for the converter to be custom built as per your specifics and hopefully a dyno sheet they can see, they’ll know just what to do for best results in the specific application your telling them on what your doing.

You and your best bud can build identical engines but use them for different things, like absolute street driver for you and track only for your buddy, you’ll get two very different converters!

The more information you supply the better the result. Hide nothing, tell all, no secrets from your converter guy. You’ll forget the price paid though the years of excellence in service in your car. Guarantee it.
You forgot.... tell the TRUTH about how you drive it. Don't tell them it's a street strip car if 99% of use is street car. And if its 90% strip car that you occasionally take thru a McDonald's drive-thru, tell them that too. But yeah, the more truthful info you can supply, the better.

PTC is who I went with. Before I ordered, I called 3 different converter builders and PTC was the only one that gave me the time of day so they earned my business. If that wasn't enough, they took the time to go over my build specs prior to recommending the right converter for the combo. Took payment and in 1 weeks time, the converter showed up. Keep in mind, I am in Washington State which is the opposite corner of the country from PTC.

Great products and customer service goes a long way in my book.
Who all did you wind up calling? Getting ready to do this myself as so far the list is in no particular order.

Ultimate
Dice A body mentioned them.
Dynamic
Coan
PTC maybe

Who all did you wind up calling? Getting ready to do this myself as so far the list is in no particular order.

Ultimate
Dice A body mentioned them.
Dynamic
Coan
PTC maybe
I won't name the ones that didn't give me the time of day but they are in your list. I went with PTC to build my converter. Unless I become unhappy with the performance of it, I will continue to use PTC for my converter needs.

Dice is a west coast company (L.A.) so I see quite a few of their decals. I wouldn't run a decal on my car if I wasn't happy with the product. I have NO personal experience with them however, and I can't remember seeing a decal of his on a Mopar.
Considering that I know the owner of PTC is a Mopar guy....... I'd probably give him a shot.

So here are the folks I called. The ones I talked to spent plenty of time on the phone asking a lot of questions about my engine and car, were all a pleasure to talk to.

Ultimate -Left message never heard back.
Dice Who I went with 8”.
Dynamic Nice folks and about the same as Dice for cost, they recommended their 9.5.
Coan Also nice folks, little higher than the others and recommended 8”.

Should have my converter in a couple of week. will report back once I spend some time with it.

My thanks to all for their input. Since Justin from VMP Performance also recommended them(the PO of our house and my Garage Mahal), and several other members, I stopped by FTI Converters in Deland, about 20 miles from home. After going over my 408/727 specs, and her use as a 90/10 street/track car, I'm having them build a 9" 3800 stall converter. If I'm not happy with it, they'll adjust it up or down for one year for free. Lead time is 2 to 3 weeks, for $818 out the door. I have my original, rebuilt 2800 converter, but Rob(Rumblefish) and others convinced me to get a modern, custom converter. One step closer to getting the engine/tranny back in the car. I hope to paint the inner fender and engine bay in the next month so she looks good. This build is taking forever, but no short cuts or crappy parts. Again, thanks to all for their advice. Your opinions DO count. Paul.

too loose for the street ,---jmo

Converter builder 20 min from your home…. that’s a win/win situation.

-
Back